Hello

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Re: Hello

Postby SBB » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:13 pm

I made the same mistake on my pot Yummy, Its a pain in the arse.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Hello

Postby JMERTZ » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:19 pm

@SBB not quite sure what you mean about the stainless union. Do you have a picture or something to see?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JMERTZ

equipment: Stainless steel Pot still.

Postby SBB » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:51 pm

Like this, This is one of Mac's builds .........there are other examples out there, this was just the first one i found. You can buy the unions at most good plumbing stores.
I think Mac has a tri clamp version in his store
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Andy » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:52 pm

JMERTZ wrote:Also I consider myself pretty handy on the tools. ( not to sound like a tosser) and the old boy is a boily. So technical and flashy suggestions are welcome haha

now you have to make something impressive!!
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Hello

Postby JMERTZ » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:12 pm

Ahhh yes I see. Thanks for that SBB. that's a tidy looking still too :)
And Andy I'll try I just need the right inspiration and Ideas

JMERTZ

Hello

Postby Dusty_ben » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:31 pm

Here's my 2" pot on a 50l keg with a union. Pot is another mac built. Awsome lil rig for me to learn on. Love the union. Set it up with cut glasses on a esky then lift it abit n run tails into a 2l glass bottle. ImageImage
Dusty_ben

equipment: 50l keg boiler with a mac built 2" pot still. Also a cheap stainless 2" reflux from eBay

Hello

Postby JMERTZ » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:53 pm

@ Dusty Ben. Nice looking still mate. What sort of rates do you get out of it. And I'm guessing from the stickers on the bar you make a bit of rum?

JMERTZ

Hello

Postby JMERTZ » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:12 pm

I'm defiantly going to use the little still to try out a heap of recipes. I'll get a few little fermenters and just fuck around. Sounds fun to me.

JMERTZ

Hello

Postby Dusty_ben » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:50 am

Only done one real rum spirit run with it. Striped 40l at 40%. Ran it with one element. Got 6l at 65% but cut it pretty hard (still learning that bit). Getting all my parts for a glass bubbler ATM so just stripping rum and uj now to either run another spirit run or hopefully run in the bubbler. Yeah I love my rum. Drank bundaberg for yrs but now can't stand it. Homebrew is miles ahead.
Dusty_ben

equipment: 50l keg boiler with a mac built 2" pot still. Also a cheap stainless 2" reflux from eBay

Postby Sam. » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:54 am

JMERTZ wrote:If you were in my position tell me what you would do of you could do whatever you wanted. I want creative ideas.

Not all that creative but if you are serious about this hobby you might as well donate that head to a museum and then make a boiler out of the big keg and build or buy a bubbler as that is where you will prob end up.

If your not sure yet how far you want to go buy or build a simple pot still as suggested as it's less cost and effort :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Just remember you can't make good vodka in a pot and you can't make great brown spirits with a reflux but you can do both with a modular bubbler (and in one run instead of multiple) :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Previous

Return to Welcome Centre