Intro...

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Intro...

Postby pochine » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:15 pm

Hey All,

I have just joined and am really keen on getting a still up and running. So much to learn. There is a wealth of info on the site. It will take me months to go through it all. 8-}

I am keen on making my own reflux still. I mainly want to make rum & whisky. I am looking a cheap & quick way to make a beginner set up. Can I use a keg as the boiler. I was also looking at the T500. Any suggestions?

Cheers
pochine

equipment: None yet...

Re: Intro...

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:35 pm

Welcome mate.. Good on you for finding this place BEFORE you bought/built a still :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If your main interest is Rum and Whiskey, you will want a pot still... A keg is a perfect boiler, and a pot still is even easier to make than a reflux... a 2" copper column will clamp straight onto the existing ferrule on the keg, and from there you really only have to build a Liebig or Shotgun condenser :D
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Sam. » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:47 pm

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The best place to start will be in the newbies corner, a lot of fundamental info in there especially this thread as a stand out to start with :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Agree with Zak I reckon a pot still will be the way to start if you want to make rum and whisky :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Chips Molasses » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:44 pm

Welcome, heaps on info on here. You will be producing lovely plonk in no time. The best thing is you get better at it each run...
Chips Molasses

equipment: 2 inch column, pot still 50l gas fired keg boiler. Soon to be 2x 3000w electric.

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:03 pm

Welcome! I started on a 2in pot and would still be using it to this day (if I didn't have a 5 plate modular bubbler :teasing-tease: )

But seriously they are a great little rig to get started, I used mine for nearly two years. If you are keen as to get cracking then this would be the still to build, a simple piece of work they are.

Have a read on where to buy copper, what still to start etc etc, there is heaps of info here :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Good luck mate and don't forget to take plenty of pics of the build.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:42 pm

Welcome Pochine and yes the guys are right that Pot still is best to makeRum and Whiskey....but I was totally unaware when I first started distilling that That that meant making Rum from Mollases and Whiskey from grains ...I thought that you just bought essence from a Home brew store and adwd them to home made vodka...maybe this is where your thinking is and hense the reflux still desire
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Andy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:11 pm

as everyone has said pot still is the way to go.
the rum recipe on here is easy as! so is the corn flake wash. both are in the tried and true section of the forum, and can be run through a basic pot still.
I use a 2 inch pot still, on a keg with a 2400w element. very simple design. it has served me very well for 18 months now
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Return to Welcome Centre