Hey cobba's

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hey cobba's

Postby Njb1988 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:26 pm

How are we all gents! Good I'm hoping anyway.
My names Nathan anyhow, I drive road trains in wa and live in brissy!
The wife decided I could brew my own beer one day, so we went to the brew shop and ended up buying a turbo 500 still! Beer is cheap enough anyway! All was going well I thought until I thought about double and triple distilling, so I jumped on good old google and found this site..... I have a hell of a lot to learn.

I've been doing 25lt washes with turbo yeast, carbon and generally using dextrose sugar. I have two washes on at the moment one with dex and one with plain old white sugar. Next wash I'll be trying a TPW, I've read a bit about them and I'll keep reading in my spare time.

Anyway being new to this hobby I'll stick around this site and probably annoy a few people with some questions here and there.

Thanks for letting me jump on board!
Nathan.
Njb1988

equipment: Turbo 500

Re: Hey cobba's

Postby Sam. » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:29 pm

Welcome mate, not all gents we have a few lady distillers as well :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yep you are soon going to realize why your home brew shop told you what they did as opposed to what we recommend here ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby bt1 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:22 pm

Welcome bloke,

Nice intro... A TPW is a good learner personally reckon there's much more to be had in a weetbix wash especially if it's a whisky your chasing. Get off the turbo expense train and we'll show u a few washes to really produce a first class result.

A word of caution not often raised is that the more you distil a spirit the sharper it gets...Double, triple or quad distilling is not a incremental improvement in quality. It generally produces a harsher spirit.

The best spirit you'll ever produce is a slow single run...it retains the flavour of the wash is softer by a noticeable margin and better expresses the wash intention/design. We'll talk about this over time.. meanwhile enjoy the learning curve.

Take your time, relax, ask plenty of questions
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Njb1988 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:03 pm

Cheers, I've been doing a fair bit of reading, most of it is helping but more and more seems to make my head explode, I'll get there tho haha.
Njb1988

Postby Woodsy71 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:11 pm

Pull up a chair Nathan.

Put down a TPW.

A TPW is one of the few things left in life that won't fark with your head 8-)

Let the good times roll Brother :D
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby Njb1988 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:20 pm

Just reading a basic guide to stripping.... There were no pictures and didn't mention a venue to go watch either....
Just kidding, that thread has helped me understand a fair bit that I couldn't find in simple terms anywhere else.
Njb1988

Return to Welcome Centre