Hello

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hello

Postby Heef71 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:33 pm

I stumbled upon this website a few weeks ago while researching TPW's. I gotta say I am absolutely gobsmacked with the amount and quality in info on here.
I've spent the last few weekends just reading & reading & reading....It's Farking AWESOME!! My eyes have been opened!!! It is soooo great to see what others are doing and compare notes, etc.
I bought my first still, a 25L Still Spirits Super Reflux Still, from my "old" hbs about 8 years ago. All of the product that came out always had a funky smell or taste, I didn't think it was that great but i persisted trying different yeasts and sugars to no avail. 2 and a half years ago i came across the T500 column, of course the hbs bloke said it was the best thing out and it bolted straight up to the old still lid so i gave it a whirl. I went by the instructional dvd on how to use it and I have never has a problem with it, but same old story with funky tastes and the sensation of petrol running down my throat . So i started researching different washes and .....here I am. Man-o-man have I been taken down the wrong path.
Now that I've learnt a few things I've got 2 fermenters down with TPW, gonna de-tune the old super reflux head and use it as a pot still ( I guess a cork in the top hole where the thermometer bung was would be the quick fix for that), get rid of the plastic outlet tube on the T500 and replace it with 3/8 copper tube and start taking cuts. Straight away I can see there will definitely be improvements in the product. Guess I might need to get a parrot at some stage and of course...one of McStills 4' bubblers, they are the bomb!!!!!

Thanks guys for sharing your experiences and wisdom. Your entries and posts have been so helpful and I am very grateful.

Cheers!!
Heef71

equipment: 4" 5 plate glass modular bubbler with packed section on a keg with 2 x 2400W elements & power controller. Started with a T500 and made some mod's and added a 2nd lid with a copper pot head.

Re: Hello

Postby BackInBlack » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:49 pm

Welcome :greetings-waveyellow:
I started out with a still spirits super reflux still as well & like you, I went looking for a better way of doing things.
Enjoy the journey :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BackInBlack

equipment: 4 inch 6 plate FSD still
50ltr keg, cooking on gas

Postby Linny » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:51 pm

i found here because i got banned from using turbo's in the house :laughing-rolling:
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby MacStill » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:57 pm

Welcome to the forum... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Heef71 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:04 pm

Hey Thanks fella's.

Linny - I understand, I live a 2 bedroom apartment, fermenters are in the spare room. The last turbo wash i put down really stunk, my misses hated it!
She is happier now the TPW doesn't have much of a scent at all.
Heef71

equipment: 4" 5 plate glass modular bubbler with packed section on a keg with 2 x 2400W elements & power controller. Started with a T500 and made some mod's and added a 2nd lid with a copper pot head.

Return to Welcome Centre