tripple still

Say Hi and introduce yourself

tripple still

Postby rickyd » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:24 am

Hey team
Well I live in Werribee in Melbourne's west I have a couple of 50 litres boilers running stainless reflux heads off a 1000 litre water res so I can run them both.
I also brought an older still made up of an 80 liter boiler with no heat source (think I will put a 2400 watt weld free heater) with a stainless steel pipe going across to an open barrel containing a coil. Can run water in the top of open keg and out the bottom via hose connection points. This will keep the coil cool but I am guessing it will make the temreture a handful to get right as there is no cooling on the boiler itself. So if anyone can assit with how this shld be set up woupld appreciate it Anyhow anyone over this side of Melbourne hit me up
rickyd

equipment: 2 x 50 litre keg boilers with 38 inch reflux towers running off a 1000 litre water tank
also a new ---old 80 litre carlton barrel beam and worm system in open barrel to rock it old school

Re: tripple still

Postby Dominator » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:20 am

I am guessing the 80L still that has a coil in an open barrel is a pot still with a worm type setup, like this...
If this is the case, you don't need to worry about getting the temperature right. As long as the water is cool enough to condense all the alcohol vapors you will be fine.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:15 am

As Dom said, there is no temperature to get right on a pot still...

Pretty keen to see some pics of your setup!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby MacStill » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:46 am

MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby rickyd » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:06 pm

Ok guys this is setup number 2 the old school type I will also post pics of the refux ones and still spot soon

still.jpg

still2.jpg

still1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rickyd

equipment: 2 x 50 litre keg boilers with 38 inch reflux towers running off a 1000 litre water tank
also a new ---old 80 litre carlton barrel beam and worm system in open barrel to rock it old school

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:22 pm

Love your set up but Christ that must annoy the shit out of you setting up for each run with all those nuts and bolts .....Still hats off ,its safe :handgestures-thumbupleft: ..priority Number one
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby rickyd » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:35 pm

So yummy tell me my friend are you one of the TPW zealots I see around here :drool: :drool:
I have tried a few of em and to be honest the quality wasn't that much of an improvement from using all clean measured Turbo ingredients.
However the output was considerably down on what I wld get with my turbo and the time certainly blew out in terms of fermentation etc
if the room is at 30 % or there about using turbo yeast and dextrose it will turn around in 2 days 3 tops and I have no problem with overstressed yeasts etc.
Runs out cool and clear at 92-94 % and the drop on the tongue at full strength on the tongue has a teeny bit vanilla from dextros but evaporates complete and clean so my next post I am going to look for other turbo lovers and build a post of sanctuary for us weirdos :)
rickyd

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:16 am

Don't fuck us around, turbo brews are shit.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby rickyd » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:17 am

Mr Zac
I will without such colourful language agree to disagree on the turbo question.
While I understand some who consider themselves to be purists would never lower themselves to using branded balanced products and would instead prefer to use bark twigs and stuff however my experience has been vastly different I have gone the TPW and the weet bix paths I find them to be slow cumbersome low yielding and of only a very minor difference in quality if any at all in most cases.
Now why I would love to skip the cost of balanced quality ingredients and instead use whatever I could buy cheap at aldi I am have neither the time nor the inclination to wait. Now I am obviously a barbarian of the lowest order as I make mostly neutrals and then use one of a few options available to flavour them.
I like an infusion and do a few I like a decent spirit essence as well but my favourite ones are the cake and chocolate essences which give me a huge range of flavours to mix and match. Now the oils are a bit tricky but once you get the hang of them well. My two most popular amongst friends and family of the oils variety is Bubble-gum or Fairy floss vodka made on 1\4 liquored base besides being easy to drink they glow in the dark under a black light and they smell wonderful
aaaa.jpg

so while u naturalists and purists bang on about your tomato paste and citric acid I will continue to spend more to make what I consider to be a product of equal quality but superior in terms of speed of fermentation and way superior in yield
Which by the way does not resemble petrol in any way :greetings-waveyellow:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rickyd

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:13 am

Plastic infused vodka it is! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'll stick to top shelf rum and bourbon.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Return to Welcome Centre