G'day

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day

Postby Mrdatsun21 » Wed May 14, 2014 2:16 pm

Gday.

I'm from Perth. I've been distilling for a little while now. I've currently got a HBS reflux still. One of the old ones before they went to the T500. I've run a few sugar wash's through it and never really thought it was awesome drinking. Not to bad but not awesome. I've wanted to have a crack at using a pot still and making a proper grain wash up. It was only recently I discovered this site and it was exactly what I needed.

I've just finished building a copper pot still head which I"m going to put on my HBS boiler for now. I'd like to do a few runs out of it see how it goes and if I'm happy one of these days I'll get around to building a larger keg boiler. Being a boilermaker by trade it's pretty easy for me.

Great to meet you and cheers in advance for the help!!!
Mrdatsun21

equipment: HBS Reflux still
Home built Pot Still

Re: G'day

Postby Andy » Wed May 14, 2014 2:26 pm

welcome mate!

have a look at the TPW recipe on the forum and the cuts guide. you should be able to get a decent product out of the reflux :handgestures-thumbupleft:

what are you planning to run through the pot?
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby hillzabilly » Wed May 14, 2014 2:32 pm

Another WA member,with a familiar story to many and I,if ya success rate does not improve after being onbored ill eat my hat,pics of ya gear are allways helpful for others to give advice on ya jouney.cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby tipsy » Wed May 14, 2014 2:42 pm

Welcome :greetings-waveyellow:
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Urrazeb » Wed May 14, 2014 3:30 pm

Hi and welcome
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby SBB » Wed May 14, 2014 4:17 pm

Welcome to the forum MD, There's plenty to learn here, enjoy the jorney.
Mrdatsun21 wrote:I've just finished building a copper pot still head which I"m going to put on my HBS boiler for now.

The one problem with HBS boilers when used with a pot still is that you cant regulate the boil. It might be hard to make anything good without some sort of controller.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Mrdatsun21 » Wed May 14, 2014 4:48 pm

pot still head1.JPG

This is the new pot still head I built.

reflux.JPG

The HBS reflux head. I've got the ceramic saddles for it as well.

I've been doing a fair bit of reading and I know I'm going to have to control the temp in the boiler. I've got a few sparky mates so hopefully one of them will be able to help me wire in a controller. I saw a thread that had info on installing one on this forum.

The first recipe I was going to try was the corn flakes whiskey. Something pretty simple to start off with.

Could I use the reflux head for stripping? Until I get the t500 adaptor from FSD to put the pot still head on my boiler?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mrdatsun21

equipment: HBS Reflux still
Home built Pot Still

Postby SBB » Wed May 14, 2014 5:59 pm

Mrdatsun21 wrote:Could I use the reflux head for stripping? Until I get the t500 adaptor from FSD to put the pot still head on my boiler?

Probably better to wait for the adapter to turn up, Running through the reflux might loose you some flavor, It might be ok if you ripped the packing out of it.
I use the word could and might, cause I don't know a lot about those old refluxs, I have a feeling they dont reflux that well, packing seems to range from one marble upwards
What sort of material is that bung holding the thermometer in made from? You might need to rethink that depending on what it is.
I have a feeling you might get a few comments about the Brass fittings as well.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Bushy » Thu May 15, 2014 6:13 am

G'day Mr Datsun,
Can't have too many Boily's on site. Welcome :greetings-waveyellow:
Swap that black rubber out with a bit of untreated wood mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Return to Welcome Centre