Hey all from down south

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hey all from down south

Postby Gweedo » Thu May 15, 2014 12:05 pm

Hey guys and gals,

Newish distiller here from down south in Melbourne. I am rather new to distilling but veteran to home brewing as a craft brewer and decided to make a change as I found myself leaning towards the bottle more than a stubby or tap.

I'm probably going to get trolled for buying a Still Spirits turbo 500 system, but just wanted a starting point in reflux distilling as I am after higher abv neutrals than I am lower abv flavours. I used a bit of my mates run to cut and infuse flavours to bring back what I call dead spirits....i.e. Goldwasser, Absynth (with proper botanicals), etc etc etc. I even want to get into running my own attempt at Herbals, similar to that of Tufelskrauter and Jagermeister.

as far as everyday drink goes i'm a non-bundy rum drinker, and a Wild Turkey fan. I mix with Coke and feel that neutral spirits and some to be discovered essence will be sufficient for me to make a drinkable bourbon or rum. Also the missus is 100% vodka, so again neutral with a little polishing sounds like the plan.
Gweedo

equipment: just basic garden variety pot still on 25 litre boiler

Re: Hey all from down south

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu May 15, 2014 12:08 pm

Welcome mate. The T500, with a good wash and good cuts, will make you plenty of fine neutral.

Very interested to hear your recipes/ideas for jäger style spirits!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby TheMechwarrior » Thu May 15, 2014 12:10 pm

A welcome to you sir from even further down south here in Tasmania :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Many here started with the T500 but those who hang around here long enough soon develop the knowledge, skills and confidence to step up to the next level.

Enjoy your start, read heaps and get into some Tomato Paste Wash aka TPW: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8

Cheers,

Mech
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby tipsy » Thu May 15, 2014 2:59 pm

G'day :handgestures-thumbupleft:
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Urrazeb » Thu May 15, 2014 4:50 pm

Welcome mate. Let us know if when you start developing a Jager recipe.. this is a really hard one to replicate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Gweedo » Thu May 15, 2014 5:51 pm

not actually wanting to tru replica of Jager, just going on that herb n spice style
Gweedo

equipment: just basic garden variety pot still on 25 litre boiler

Return to Welcome Centre