Newby from Newie

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Newby from Newie

Postby craigs1978 » Mon May 19, 2014 6:51 pm

Hi all,
Just thought I would drop a quick line to say G'day. I have been brewing beer for a few years now (extract :wtf: ) I am now hooked on the idea of making some nice whiskeys, occasional rum, bourbons etc. Saves paying ridiculous prices for it!!!

So since researching I was convinced on a boka still for my first still, (I know I probably should make a pot still for the whiskeys etc. But wanted it to be versatile and not cornered into one type of spirit.) However now that I have continued to research, now am thinking of a vm/boka?

I have been fortunate enough to have a family member in the plumbing game and he has given me a 2200mm 2" copper pipe, so I am stoked with that. Have ordered some 1/4" pipe for the condenser, I have a keg, and have ordered a 2200w element for the keg. I have done some plumbing in the past so can solder confidently.

I would love to meet up with some like-minded people in Newcastle area to help me with my decision and share ideas etc.

Cheers,
Craig.
craigs1978

equipment: Lots of beer equipment but still researching distilling equipment!!!

Re: Newby from Newie

Postby Sam. » Mon May 19, 2014 6:54 pm

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

WIth a reflux still you are cornering yourself to an extant with just making nuetrel (vodka) then using essences to flavour.

A pot will be much more suited to the drink styles you mentioned.

If you wan't full versatility get a modular bubbler ;-)

There are plenty of blokes from your neck of the woods im sure some will be along soon :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby SBB » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:56 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:A pot will be much more suited to the drink styles you mentioned.

:text-+1:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Linny » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:02 pm

im from newie , i started on a bubbler , then built a boka and pot using tri-clamps to swap out quickly then wasnt happy with that so now building another bubbler LOL . PM if you need help etc
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Chips Molasses » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:34 pm

Modular could suit you. Welcome.
Chips Molasses

equipment: 2 inch column, pot still 50l gas fired keg boiler. Soon to be 2x 3000w electric.

Postby TheMechwarrior » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:45 pm

Modular for sure. But don't fret too much...I suspect your first still will not be your last ; )
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby 1 2many » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:00 pm

TheMechwarrior wrote:Modular for sure. But don't fret too much...I suspect your first still will not be your last ; )

I am pondering the same question myself :scared-eek:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Return to Welcome Centre