Beer brewer crossing over.

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Beer brewer crossing over.

Postby jayahhdee » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:48 pm

Hi

Regular lurker at AHB for all things beer, I've been brewing all grain beer for a few years now and love it and feel its now time for a new challenge, not to mention I've taking a real liking to rum recently.

Don't currently have a still but I am looking towards a reflux, my aim will be making liqueurs from neutral spirits and rum, I think from the limited reading I have done thus far the reflux will be the easiest way for me to start, just removing any packing when I am running rum and leaving it as normal for neutrals.

Other than the often proclaimed Mac and JayD, who else around here makes a nice still for sale?

Thanks,

jayahhdee
jayahhdee

equipment: 3.5v All Grain Beer Brewing Machine
As far as spirits go - zip

Re: Beer brewer crossing over.

Postby MacStill » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:18 pm

unfortunately after a few years of trusting others to sell gear on here, it is no more, I am the only one with a commercial interest on this site.

you'll find many others around if you look elsewhere, just remember nearly every single one of them used this forum as a stepping stone to where they are today, if only they didnt think they had a sense of entitlement things would be much different here today.

So to answer your question in short.

Other vendors who talk badly about this forum, five star distilling and myself have themselves to blame for the way the rules of this site are today, other vendors links & sites are not welcome here in any way, shape, or form... period!
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby jayahhdee » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:59 pm

Ahh its sad to hear things obviously went bad at some point, glad the site is still here to learn from, I'll keep drooling over you FSD gear until I can justify the cost in that case.
jayahhdee

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:36 pm

Welcome jayahhdee! Welcome to the dark side :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeah heaps of info here, have you considered making your own if funds are tight? I just sent my pot still over east, that would have been perfect for your rum... and made a decent triple distilled 'neutral' too :liar:

Some easy enough plans around for a boka or other builds if your a tad handy.. but the bubblers are where it's at.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby whiskeyshiner » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:13 pm

MacStill wrote:unfortunately after a few years of trusting others to sell gear on here, it is no more, I am the only one with a commercial interest on this site

With the site founder in your avatar thingy you should be the only commercial interest. One admin works well, on HD i think they got to many cooks in the kitchen when it comes to running the joint :?

Jahhdee ya beer brewing will come in handy if ya like single malt and such :handgestures-thumbupleft:
whiskeyshiner

equipment: 4” bubbler on 100l boiler

Postby MacStill » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:54 pm

jayahhdee wrote:Ahh its sad to hear things obviously went bad at some point, glad the site is still here to learn from, I'll keep drooling over you FSD gear until I can justify the cost in that case.

Sad yes but not the end end of the world, FSD and their supporters dont really visit the other sites because all the good stuff is here anyway, and the negativity elsewhere does nothing to appease things either.... so we just prefer to talk shit, have fun, and support people with affordable gear even if they cant buy the whole kit n kaboodle in one hit ;-)

Oh and by the way, glad you found us & welcome :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby pulsetech » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:07 pm

Don't know how good your rum will be from a reflux unless you plan on Essence.
pulsetech

equipment: 4"

Postby Andy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:18 pm

welcome to the forum mate

pulsetech wrote:Don't know how good your rum will be from a reflux unless you plan on Essence.

i think if he removes the packing as planned a reflux will make a lovely rum :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:35 am

It'd be a shame not to put your AG experience and equipment into a whiskey or two...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby pulsetech » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:22 am

Zak Griffin wrote:It'd be a shame not to put your AG experience and equipment into a whiskey or two...

:text-+1:
pulsetech

equipment: 4"

Postby jayahhdee » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:34 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:It'd be a shame not to put your AG experience and equipment into a whiskey or two...

If only I was a whiskey drinker, it would be wasted on me.
jayahhdee

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:37 pm

I wasn't a rum drinker until I started making my own ;-)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Andy » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:18 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:I wasn't a rum drinker until I started making my own ;-)

:text-+1:
Should i fill in for the rest of the forum as well??
:text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: X100 :laughing-rolling:
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby stretch69 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:53 pm

Hey mate, I was similar to you. I read and read heaps on here. I had intentions of making my own still, drew up heaps of plans, compared peoples builds on here etc, then I decided f#ck it and bought a 4", FSD distilled water maker.
Originally I thought the stills look amazing but were out of my budget, but then I thought about how much I spend on hooch every year and it would probably pay for itself in less than six months :o
Anyway got my still, freaking amazing quality, every single little piece is bubble wrapped ( kids were happy)
I finally got my boiler sorted out and managed to to a cleaning and sacrificial run before going away on holiday. I'm going to do a proper write up soon.
With my limited knowledge I recommend just save for a 4" bubbler and in the mean time start working on a boiler :handgestures-thumbupleft:
stretch69

equipment: 4" 4 plate FSD Bubbler!
50l Boiler

Postby 1 2many » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:10 pm

With my limited knowledge I recommend just save for a 4" bubbler and in the mean time start working on a boiler :handgestures-thumbupleft:

That's what I did and damn glad i did. Yeah start thinking about your boiler but think that with the FSD gear you can start off with a pot still and you can easily upgrade to a plated bubbler just by adding a section at a time, that's what I like the best. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby MacStill » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:21 pm

Thanks guys :D

I'm pretty sure the budget restrained people trying to get into this hobby will be pleased with our new release basic 2" pot still I think it's probably the cheapest way out there to get in to the world of modular stainless stills.

Numbers at first will be limited, if the demand is high enough I'll make sure there's plenty in stock with next months order :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Chips Molasses » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:32 pm

The little pot still looks nice Mac. Are the 4 inch bubblers built to order or ready to ship.?
Chips Molasses

equipment: 2 inch column, pot still 50l gas fired keg boiler. Soon to be 2x 3000w electric.

Postby MacStill » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:39 pm

Chips Molasses wrote:The little pot still looks nice Mac. Are the 4 inch bubblers built to order or ready to ship.?

I have few here ready to go chips, with stock arriving regularly now.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby jayahhdee » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:04 am

I must admit I do like the look of the FSD 4" and I am likely to fall that direction the more I think about it.
jayahhdee

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:08 am

The beauty of the FSD modular gear is that you can start with a simple pot still, and as funds allow you can upgrade to a bubbler, if you so desire...

Or you can just go all out from the start :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Welcome Centre