HI EVERYONE

Say Hi and introduce yourself

HI EVERYONE

Postby all-lag » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:17 pm

Hi everyone

I'Am new to the distilling culture

I have been using a turbo 500 for about a year to make neutral spirits and only using essence or a whisky profiling kit to make my own essence and would like to get into different kind of washes and more of the art to making your own spirit from scratch,while looking for a bigger still just trying to work out what kind would be best for me

Any insite or personal experience would be great to help making a choice

I live near the NSW-QLD boarder,if anyone lives around the area and is willing to show there operation or some tricks would be great

THANKS TRENT
all-lag

equipment: Looking at building a 50-100L still i have been using a T500 for over a year and just would like to try it on a bigger scale

Re: HI EVERYONE

Postby MacStill » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:50 pm

Hi Trent, welcome to here :greetings-waveyellow:

I'm sure you'll be glad you asked, you'll find they're a pretty helpful bunch here :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Enjoy!
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Urrazeb » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:54 pm

Hey Trent welcome :handgestures-thumbupleft:

It all depends on what you wish to drink/make. Of course I am going to say a plated column still is the way to go, they are the holy grail of hobby distilleries. If you like full flavoured rums and whiskey then get yourself a pot still, you cant go wrong and they are great to test out the skill of cutting your spirit as the product is not as refined as a bubbler.

Pot heads are good for triple distilled 'neutral' if using for macerations amd strong flavoured styles, no good for vodka.

If you were in WA id have ya round for a run but honestly there is enough info on here to guide you in the right direction.

I originally wanted an air still and thought I'd post here first... boy was that one good move!

If you have stuck it out with a T500 for so long you should have no problem moving on to whichever still design you end up choosing.

There is a few threads on here on making spirit from scratch and reading the discussion that goes on in a lot of these should also point you in the right direction
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby TheMechwarrior » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:57 pm

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You'll find a lot of very experienced and helpful people in here all very willing to share their experience if:
1. Do some reading before you ask, the beginners section is full of great tips ;-)
2. Be prepared to put everything you know to one side and learn from those who have many years of practical experience behind them
3. Relax, and take it easy here, we're an easy going bunch and we like to keep things light and comfortable in here
4. No question is dumb, so ask away, I'd rather you asked a "dumb" question before you committed a "dumb" act ;-)
5. Patience

Enjoy your stay mate and best of all enjoy your liquor :handgestures-thumbupleft:
See you around.

Mech.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:04 pm

Welcome mate. As the lads above have said, if you have a bit of a read around you will find the answers to questions that you didn't know you had to ask... It won't take long before you get the feel of the place, and work out what direction you want to go.

What is it you want to make? Whiskey/Rum or Vodka/neutral spirit?
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby all-lag » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:13 pm

Thanks guys i would like to make whisky and neutrals

Didn't realize how many different types of stills where around and the different ways you can operate them

Its good reading everyone's post and comments on how you try different ways of things
all-lag

equipment: Looking at building a 50-100L still i have been using a T500 for over a year and just would like to try it on a bigger scale

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:22 pm

Your T500 is obviously quite capable of making neutrals... If you've been using turbo yeast, you'll did a huge improvement by going to a Tomato Paste Wash, or even a Weetbix/Allbran wash. These recipes can be found in our tried and proven section :)

As for your whiskeys, you will need either a pot still or a bubbler. You could build a pot still head to fit on your T500 boiler without too much trouble :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby all-lag » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:42 pm

thanks
I will give the TPW a go when i get home net its just hard working away
I seen stillspirits brought out dome top pot still adapter for the turbo500
all-lag

Postby MacStill » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:47 pm

how many mouths to feed ? has your T500 been keeping up ?

there's no point suggesting 6" Neutralizer on a 100l boiler if a 4" rig on a keg would do, are you time poor like most of us or do you have the luxury of being able to distill regularly ?

just throwing stuff at you, once you know these sorts of answers you'll be narrowing things down a fair bit :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby all-lag » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:48 pm

I try to do 100L of wash when i get home i work 4weeks on 2weeks off and give 15L-20L at the moment but would like to do 25-50L to mates

Try to start the wash the first or second day home then wait till its ready then distill it

The turbo500 is ok but it takes 4 gos to distill all of the 100L and just takes 2 days to do it all and the cleaning

I was thinking a 4inch but dont know enough about them yet still reading
all-lag

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:56 pm

Why not put the wash on just before you go back to work, and run it when you get home?

Sounds like you'll be looking towards a big rig... 6" is the new 4", as they say :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:00 pm

ok time poor but not as shafted as most of us, you should talk to your boss about the 4 weeks part of your roster though :laughing-rolling: been there done that shit :naughty:

If you want to distill 100L in a day, plus clean up and put away you've narrowed things down considerably.

50L keg and 2 runs through a 4" bubbler..... longish day but not too bad.

100L boiler 6" bubbler and 1 run...... short day, cleaned up and pissed by lunch time.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:15 pm

all-lag wrote:Hi everyone

I live near the NSW-QLD boarder,if anyone lives around the area and is willing to show there operation or some tricks would be great

THANKS TRENT

Welcome to the forum ...lots of guys near you ...Scarecrow ( not much He doesn't no) .....SBB ( bit further) ...5 o'clock ( about the same )...over the boarder ....too many :laughing-rolling: .......search around ...theres so many ...fuckin pisspotsville .

Seriously ...enjoy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby MacStill » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:32 pm

it's a beautiful area yummy, anywhere from Coffs to Bundaberg away from the cities would do me just nicely...... one day :pray:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:36 pm

MacStill wrote:it's a beautiful area yummy, anywhere from Coffs to Bundaberg away from the cities would do me just nicely...... one day :pray:

Too bloody right Mac ....not complaining.. :handgestures-thumbupleft: ..not much money around but life style is priceless ^:)^

Trent..how far away are you mate ?
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby TheMechwarrior » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:45 pm

What Mac said mate :text-+1:
The 6" is the answer and it's the reason I went of it. I was spending 2 very full days working my arse off and now thanks to the FSD Pacemaker I can get it done easily inside a day with time to spare for drinking :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers,

Mech.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby MacStill » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:47 pm

Yummyrum wrote:Too bloody right Mac ....not complaining.. :handgestures-thumbupleft: ..not much money around but life style is priceless ^:)^

It's just a shame the fishing is shit compared to WA :teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Bushy » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:05 pm

Yeah, but there are less Noah's over there. Get back into the crays and spearfishin. :crying-blue:
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby all-lag » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:03 pm

Yuummyrum
about one hour from the QLD border mate
all-lag

Postby MacStill » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:54 pm

forget him mate, he'll have you mixing flour paste out in the woods :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Return to Welcome Centre