Another Wait Awhile member......

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Another Wait Awhile member......

Postby huggy_b » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:41 pm

Hey all,

Been snooping around a bit, thought I'd do the formal introduction of sorts.

While sitting around knocking back a scotch or 3, myself and 2 mates decided that we would get into this distilling caper. So onto the old intraweb I go to get some info etc and landed here. Joined up and did some reading, got all the info I needed and thought we are good to go! Located a 50L s/s keg for a boiler and we were off.......or so I thought. In the meantime, another mate was trying to sell 2 x turbo 500 stills (one reflux, one Cu alembic pot still) - we weren't really interested at his $1500 asking price and within 2 days he had said just come and take it, but give me a couple of bottles of whatever you produce that's not "shit" :laughing-rolling: - so we inherited 2 stills and the keg took a back seat.

So since then we have jumped in way to deep, put down 2 x 150L washes (rum and corn whiskey) in 190L olive barrels we picked up cheap ($15ea) and a 25L TPW in the fermenter we got with the 2 stills and we have spent the best part of 2 weekends chugging our way through stripping the rum (20 - 25L @ 40%) and we did the TPW also which came out with a decent 1.75L @ 93% so no complaints. At this stage we are covering a basic corn whiskey for one of us who wants "moonshine", the neutral will be made into gin at some point for 2nd mate and I'm keen to bash out a rum or 3 and keep running the corn whiskey for a sour mash bourbon.

But now we are thinking that as cool as the 2 stills have been to learn from etc, our initial plan of building or buying a 4" bubbler to put on the 50L keg is a better way to go. I'm really intrigued by the glassers and also have access to a decent array of scrap copper through a mates scrapyard so not exactly sure what we are going to do yet.

So for all the "bubbler converts" - do you bother using any other type of still anymore or is it bubbler all the way? Undecided whether I keep the 2 Turbo 500's or flog them off to recoup some coin when we get the bubbler up and going?!?

Anyways, that's us/me!
huggy_b

equipment: 4" glasser (5 plates)

Re: Another Wait Awhile member......

Postby dogbreath vodka » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:49 pm

huggy_b wrote:Hey all,

So for all the "bubbler converts" - do you bother using any other type of still anymore or is it bubbler all the way?

Anyways, that's us/me!

In a word "NO"

For versatility, speed and all round great booze you can't go past a FSD 4" Bubbler ..... Unless it's a 6" FSD :teasing-tease: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
http://www.5stardistilling.net/modular-stills/

The price is right and they are lovely and shiny ... what a bonus :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

As you are in Perth... you're already ahead of the rest of us East coast blokes.... Mac is just down the road.

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby TheMechwarrior » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:11 pm

:text-+1:
What he said :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'm ordering the extra bits today to convert my bubbler into a neutraliser to manage my feints and retire the VM still.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby Sam. » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:16 pm

Haven't touched my other stills since goin FSD :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby MacStill » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:18 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Haven't touched my other stills since goin FSD :D

:text-+1: what other stills is there :wtf: :text-lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Sam. » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:20 pm

MacStill wrote:
sam_and_liv wrote:Haven't touched my other stills since goin FSD :D

:text-+1: what other stills is there :wtf: :text-lol:

True, I really should part with my home built ones but I am still attached to them
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby badbird » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:28 pm

:text-+1: the bubbler but I still run a small pot still around 9 litres (I think) for gins and ouzo.
badbird

equipment: 4 x 4" bubble cap column and other assorted bent-up copper

Postby dogbreath vodka » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:32 pm

badbird wrote::text-+1: the bubbler but I still run a small pot still around 9 litres (I think) for gins and ouzo.

Arrhh so you haven't bought one of Mac's Carter heads yet... :teasing-tease: :D :D :D

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby MacStill » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:34 pm

dogbreath vodka wrote:
badbird wrote::text-+1: the bubbler but I still run a small pot still around 9 litres (I think) for gins and ouzo.

Arrhh so you haven't bought one of Mac's Carter heads yet... :teasing-tease: :D :D :D

DBV

Nah he's waiting for Mach 2 that's being released SOON! :teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Urrazeb » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:23 pm

Bubbler all the way mate! :music-deathmetal:

I have sold my pot still, I thought I might keep it as a stripping rig but the bubbler does it all

Single runs, great fractioning and easy to run.. you wont use another still again once a bubbler sits on your keg :dance:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby badbird » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:52 am

dogbreath vodka wrote:Arrhh so you haven't bought one of Mac's Carter heads yet... :teasing-tease: :D :D :D
DBV

Narrr, Im still at the sippin stage, when I graduate to guzzling ill give Mac a call :teasing-neener:

Mac, not sure my liver (or wallet) will cope with a 6" carter head at the moment :shock: :D

Anyway haven't perfected the recipes yet so I still doing relatively small batches
badbird

equipment: 4 x 4" bubble cap column and other assorted bent-up copper

Return to Welcome Centre