Hello from the land of smile

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Re: Hello from the land of smile

Postby garouda » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:53 pm

Now the Graham condenser isin place, notice the additional vent.
The challenge was to find the right drill bits down here, most are just chewing gum... :twisted:
Graham in place.png

:obscene-drinkingdrunk: coming soon (target December because of temperatures.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by garouda on Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garouda

equipment: 100l boiler 3" column VM - 6" and 7 plates with dephlegmator (in progress - target, first run december 2022)

Postby garouda » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:13 pm

TheMechwarrior wrote:Start small, be modular and plan ahead, particular with your boiler as this is something you will have for a long time as you grow within the hobby.
Mech.

Well Mech, this was some five years ago :happy-partydance: and it's about to become my next concern, that's why I pinned your good advice here :handgestures-thumbupleft: , something to bare in mind...
garouda

equipment: 100l boiler 3" column VM - 6" and 7 plates with dephlegmator (in progress - target, first run december 2022)

Postby garouda » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:31 pm

TheMechwarrior wrote:
MacStill wrote:Forget to have that open and you're going to have a real bad day :naughty:

Well spotted Mac, no need for valve there garouda.

pulsetech wrote:Yes Kaboom if that stays shut

Yummyrum wrote:]This worries me .....I know you have said that you will remove the valve when in pot still mode....but will you ? Shit has a bad habit of happening ....and I'm seeing a easy to use triclamp. on one side...but not the other :naughty: ....then you will have no reason not to be lazy and risk blowing yourself up

Thanks a lot again for insisting on that point. :text-thankyoublue: I also changed my plans (cutting that pipe with the two ferrules) due to the fact I could not find copper union coupling to be soldered on the pipes, well I found some on internet, but it’s in Bangkok 12hrs driving from here.
pot still.png

So I will use SS coupling and this is how my pot still will look like.
The long column to the left is a wink ;-) towards the Glenfiddich pot stills …
Glenfiddich_Distillery_stills.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
garouda

Postby garouda » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:57 pm

Yummyrum wrote:Also , AKAIK most Rum is made in continual stills ....something I am very keen on but info is scares...anything new would be great ...thanks

In fact beside the production of rum (vapour still like ......),I know two types of continuous stills, the ...... still or ....... still
they use in Scotland to produce blended whiskies and the alambic armagnacais they use to produce armagnac, similar to cognac (people will disagree on that...) I think they do not care about heads because armagnac is made from very acidic low degree white wine, with less methanol than a strong red wine for instance, but with no guarantee...
Last edited by woodduck on Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed info on continuous stills
garouda

Postby garouda » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:35 pm

Akind of bottle in the ocean... I unsuccessfully tried to solder the copper slant plates in the ss pipe. I used phosphoric acid as flux, could not find anything else here. My initial idea was a hybrid head VM/ Boka. I'm now considering a VMhead only to skip the soldering issue. Would a VM head be as efficient as a Boka? Any comment would be highly appreciated.
garouda

Postby garouda » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:02 pm

In the end considering the drawbacks I decided not to follow the Bokabob fashion and made a pure VM head instead of my initial Boka/VM combo.
In fact, I found confirmation of my doubts about the Boka head in Michael Nixon & Michael McCaw's "The Compleat Distiller" appendix 6 p. 131:
"A vapour management still head is very easy to build because the concept is so simple, and is a considerable advance on all previous liquid management techniques that utilize small, temperamental needle valves that can be difficult to procure and which often change their settings with temperature."
I wish I had read this before...
In the meantime I got my first stripping run done with a little problem of cooling water shortage. My second batch of Ted's Fast Fermenting Vodka is ready for a stripping run and the third batch is fermenting.
I slightly modified the recipe:
1) no DAP available where I live, so I used Monobasic Potassium Phosphate plus Ammonium Sulphate (21-0-0) instead.
2) As we grow rice, I used rice bran from the mill down the village where we husk our rice. 87 AUS cents for 2 kgs...
Fermentation takes about four days, the wash has a nice fruity wine smell.
garouda

Postby garouda » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:29 pm

Here some pics of my final still, the two reductions produce a nice alembic cap or head look...
column on boiler.png

Column.JPG

VM Head.JPG
garouda

Postby Teddysad » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:35 pm

Once you master this how about trying a Durian one?
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby garouda » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:41 pm

:laughing-rolling:
Teddysad wrote:Once you master this how about trying a Durian one?

:text-lol: In fact my durian trees do not have fruits yet.
I have one question pm.
garouda

Previous

Return to Welcome Centre