Have to start somewhere...Right?

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Have to start somewhere...Right?

Postby welly » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:23 am

Morning All, from lovely Capricorn Coast in Queensland.

The names Michael... and well after snooping around this site and other, i decided its time to sign up, as you all have a wealth of information, and am keen to learn everything i can to make a decent tasting beverage.

Little bit about me:
I am a Civil Engineer, of all the things i could've been... and I have been fairly successful in brewing beer for the last couple of years, and watching my father make spirits since i was a young lad, has inspired me to start making my own.
My father used an old hospital steriliser as the boiler, and had a custom made Stainless Steel condenser with all the bells and whistles.... Was pretty wild setup, however made some good moonshine.

I guess.. the idea behind this hobby, is that 1. I don't like paying a fortune for below average tasting spirits, 2. The stuff my mate makes, is like rocket fuel, and want to prove him that patience is virtue, and with a little time and effort, can make some good gear.. effort in = effort out.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Before you judge, yes i do have to start somewhere in this hobby, and well, i am in possession of a T500 Boiler and Copper Refux head. Yes it was expensive, however, to me seemed the best option for someone starting out. :o

With the still, it came with a turbo wash pack, and so that is already down.
In conjunction to this... i have already put down a WBAB wash as well... seeing as though i already had the ingredients, minus the sugar, in my pantry.

I cleaned the still out as per insructions in the "Newbies Corner", and The turbo wash will be the experimental/ other cleaning run, to ensure that i know what im doing!.

So yeah, have read a lot on this well run forum here already, and am keen to learn more and get better at this hobby, with everyone's help of course.

Thanks for your time Lads

:text-thankyoublue:
welly

equipment: T500 Boiler
Copper Artisan reflux condenser

Re: Have to start somewhere...Right?

Postby Sam. » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:26 am

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I can see you doing well in this hobby already ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby welly » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:36 am

Oh.. and BTW.

The locked Victor Story below...

HILARIOUS.

:text-lol:
welly

equipment: T500 Boiler
Copper Artisan reflux condenser

Postby hillzabilly » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:20 am

Welcome aboard dude,when you tell us about your old mans still you can be sure someone will ask for PICTURES,us distillers like to WATCH.its all about shareing info and idears.cheers hillzabilly 8-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby TheMechwarrior » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:25 am

Welcome from a fellow engineer :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'd put money you upgrading your still in-line with your degree of reading, patience and experience...all before the end of the year :D

Cheers,

Mech.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:29 pm

Welcome mate

sam_and_liv wrote:Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I can see you doing well in this hobby already ;-)

:text-+1: :text-imwithstupid:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Return to Welcome Centre