hi.... from the Emerald Isle

Say Hi and introduce yourself

hi.... from the Emerald Isle

Postby mattlait » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:38 pm

hi. just thought i drop you all a line.... ive build 2 copper pot stills and now would love to give a stainless keg a go!
Ive been brewing wines and beers for a couple of years and 'need' to move on!! :oops:
anyway lads( and ladies) thanks for having me here!

Matt
mattlait

equipment: I have a small (5ltr)pot still and have run it once or twice and are looking for ideas for a better still..... hopefully a 2 inch stainless keg still

Re: hi.... from the Emerald Isle

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:48 pm

Hi Matt welcome :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So what do you like to drink/make? I don't quite understand what a "stainless keg still" would be but hope you could shed some light on what you want to make and the fellas here can suggest suitable set-ups

Pretty much whiskey/rum = pot still

Vodka/gin = reflux still

But having said that whiskey/rum/vodka/gin/schnapps/brandy/grappa etc etc = modular bubbler :laughing-rolling: and I love mine :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Have a poke around mate and you should find more information than you can digest here :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby mattlait » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:24 am

oops sorry Urrazeb.... ive a 50 ltr stainless keg.... (and am thinking at the mo) which i gonna turn into a pot still..... im thinking of a 1 meter 2 inch colunm into a 90 degree bend reduced to 28 mm then into a condenser which ill probably make from copper...... its all an idea at the mo but hopefully after a bit of reading and help ill get things sorted out.....
what id really like is a still to make a passable apple brandy but that also for the future!

matt
mattlait

equipment: I have a small (5ltr)pot still and have run it once or twice and are looking for ideas for a better still..... hopefully a 2 inch stainless keg still

Postby Sam. » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:32 pm

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

A pot still will definitely be able to produce you a fine apple brandy if ran right and aged right ;-)

But it is always better through a bubbler :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Welcome Centre