Howzit

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Howzit

Postby vovo » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:42 pm

A mate suggested this hobby to me a few weeks ago to and I have done a lot of reading since, but I figure it is now time to get some advice from the knowledgeable masses.

I drink a decent variety of grog, but my go to preferred tipples are gin and bourbon.

I have done a lot of reading and contacted a few people and from that I reckon I probably need a bubble still with a packed section for gin and as long as it is modular, I can run it with less plates and without the packed section for bourbon or even rum.

So some advice on still type would be apprecaited. However, I really only want to make my own stuff, as long I can make small batch artisan type spirits that are equal to or better than the top shelf stuff I like. As an example, I make my own tonic water as it is way better than the stuff you can buy, even though it is way harder too make.

I have read a lot on recipes and it seems that where the difference is made as long you use the right equipment.

On the boiler choice, what would you recommend for a starter knowing that I am starting from scratch. My ability to work with my hands is quite high, however, I have none of the tools required. With the two heating elements most have, is this required for quality of product, or does it just speed up the process?

I think that is a good start for now.

Thanks to everyone for your time reading my post and thanks in advance for any advice given.

Cheers
Vovo.
vovo

equipment: None yet - hence why I am here

Re: Howzit

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:46 pm

Welcome mate, and thanks for a great intro :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Gin and bourbon are indeed two very different beasts, but they can definitely be made with more t less the same rig, as long as it's a modular bubbler haha

What's your budget?

You don't need a huge toolbox to build a bubbler, but it certainly helps... Also, depending on availability of materials, it can still end up a costly exercise to build your own.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Sam. » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:47 pm

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

By the sounds of it your not going to screw around doing this so a modular bubbler will be the way to go.

Question is do you want to build or buy? If you have the tools and the know how you can make one yourself based on the many designs here.

Or if you have the funds you can order a still from FSD and have it delivered ;-)

You might want to check our the carter heads as well.....
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby vovo » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:54 pm

Haha, I know, I seem to have a serious case of upgraditis. My mate suggested the air still when he recommended this as a hobby. It didn't take too long to rule that out. Then the reflux stills were ruled out for both gin and bourbon. I felt, for what I wanted I would rather run a pot still multiple times than a reflux still. Lots more research found the options spruiked on forums, VM, BOKA etc. Then I found a bubble still and more research brought me to this forum and the wealth of knowledge and then I found FSD. So the budget can be expanded as long as I feel I am getting a much better product and value for money. The moment the law of diminishing returns becomes very obvious, I'll stop.

I was thinking the neutralizer might be the go and then drop out a few plates for the production of bourbon or rum. I contacted the doctor about his advice and he mentioned he was using the Carter head, it looks the business, but at the moment (for me at least) I would consider this a little too expensive for the perceived benefit.
vovo

Postby Sam. » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:02 pm

You only need to buy the gear once mate, your grandkids will be able to use it ;-)

And that's the beauty of modular, start with what you can and build as you want :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:31 pm

A neutralizer with a plate and the packed section removed (or just emptied) will make you some of the best bourbon you have ever tasted.

Mac's gear is top notch, and being modular you don't have to buy it all at once :)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby 1 2many » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:04 pm

Welcome vovo, It looks like in a very short time you have figured out the still required for what you want to make and have also discovered where to get one.

You can't go wrong with FSD simply the best stills on the market. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby vovo » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Hi guys, realized I can't really do this in an apartment, however, looking to buy a house at the moment. In the mean time still doing heaps of reading.

Could you guys point me in the right direction for some info.
All grain bourbon in Oz, recipe and discussion.
Aging bourbon in a keg (20l-50l) using a solera method. I reckon this would be a great project to have and maintain over the years.

I didn't want to start a new post, hopefully there is enough visibility in here.

Cheers
vovo

Postby Hava » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:45 pm

Hava read of 'The Mash Tun' on the board index or try the search function to right of screen! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Hava

equipment: Once you've run a FSD there is no going back!!!

Postby vovo » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:15 pm

Ok I have found Brendans AG bourbon and it looks the business, at least it gives a fantastic starting point.

Looking for some info on someone using the Solera method to age it (doesn't have to be on this forum). This is the method of progressively aging in a barrel/keg by taking off what you need and topping up with new unaged product. So for example, you would leave it alone for 1 year and then draw off 10% and top up with new, thus the effective age would be somewhere around 11months and then another year later the majority of the product is around 2 years and you take off what you need etc.

You could also potentially do some pre aging and airing on dominos before adding to the barrel/keg.

Thanks Guys
vovo

Postby Sam. » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:38 pm

vovo wrote:Ok I have found Brendans AG bourbon and it looks the business, at least it gives a fantastic starting point.

Looking for some info on someone using the Solera method to age it (doesn't have to be on this forum). This is the method of progressively aging in a barrel/keg by taking off what you need and topping up with new unaged product. So for example, you would leave it alone for 1 year and then draw off 10% and top up with new, thus the effective age would be somewhere around 11months and then another year later the majority of the product is around 2 years and you take off what you need etc.

You could also potentially do some pre aging and airing on dominos before adding to the barrel/keg.

Thanks Guys

There's not much here in that exact topic mate, most here use other methods that suit a home distiller better. If you are going to commit to it start and thread and let us know how it goes :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Cane Toad » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:57 pm

" So for example, you would leave it alone for 1 year and then draw off 10% and top up with new,"
It'd be no good to me,I'd have to refill the whole keg :laughing-rolling: :D
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby stretch69 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:34 am

vovo wrote:Ok I have found Brendans AG bourbon and it looks the business, at least it gives a fantastic starting point.

I was like you about a year ago. I ended up buying 5 star 4" bubbler ( I plan on adding on 2 more plates and his packed section in the future).
I've only got 3 runs under my belt but the still is amazing. I could have never made something as beautiful as it!.

One thing I've def found is you need to not get ahead of yourself, you kind of want to start with the easier recipes at the start like CFW at least to you get a bit of a system going.
It feels like every week I'm slowly buying more bits and pieces, fittings, fermenter, pots, drain for my boiler, heaters, this week I'm looking forward to getting my pH meter and refractometer.
stretch69

equipment: 4" 4 plate FSD Bubbler!
50l Boiler

Postby vovo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:17 am

Cheers guys,

I'll keep looking for more info on the solera method for aging bourbon. I did some quick back of the envelope math and calculated it would take about 250kg of grain to make 50l to fill a keg. I think I'll perfect what I like first.

Cane toad, I know what you mean, but this would essentially be the super premium you produce (especially if you can approach an ave barrel age of 15-20 years, e.g. pappy) and you would still produce cheaper (less invested) daily drinkers.

Stretch, I definitely agree, I would not put down a proper bourbon first up, but until I get the space and then the unit, I will have to placate my interest by doing a lot of reading and research. I have also never been the type to start slow.

I think I have figured out the gin and vodka but now trying to figure out what I would need to produce top shelf bourbon.

Cheers guys
Vovo
vovo

Postby SBB » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:50 am

The solera method you are talking about is usually used in the production of good quality Balsamic Vinegar, they use a series of barrels that range in size from large and progressively get smaller, I think the standard number is about 12 barrels in the set.
There are a few home distillers around using a similar method using only 2 or 3 barrels, in theory it should work well.

A bit about it here , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solera
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby vovo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:06 am

Yep SBB that's the idea, though I would do a much more simple version somewhat similar to a port barrel, where you only use one barrel and draw of and top up from the single barrel. I understand this is no good for a commercial set up as the bottled product would be dramatically different year after year. Where as for the hobbyist this does not matter as long as it improves. I don't care about bottle variation where as a commercial set up does.

Thanks guys
vovo

Postby Whiskyaugogo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:20 pm

From a fellow newbie to another; welcome mate!!

From my short time reading and learning, most of what you need is here. I soon found out the "bubbler" was the only way to go in distilling and I am currently awaiting the arrival of my new FSD Eliminator.
Whiskyaugogo
Site Donor

equipment: To be updated

Return to Welcome Centre