Hi all how's brewing

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi all how's brewing

Postby Itwrexme » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:30 pm

Hi all I'm a newbie to this site but not really new to distilling as I have a 5l reflux still but looking for help to upgrade to something better and bigger for maker a few different spirits.
I'm in the hunter valley area so any1 near or in the area plz don't be shy and say hello or give me some good advice as I really need it even tho I've read a lot from and on here already.
As from what I have mentioned I'm also looking for a new setup to connect to a keg,so if any1 has something of the sort that suits what I'm after plz pm. :music-deathmetal:

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Hello BIGD and Linny

Thanks foe your advice so far. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Itwrexme

equipment: Shitty little 5l still looking into upgrading to a keg setup hopefully.

Re: Hi all how's brewing

Postby tipsy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:48 pm

Hi :greetings-waveyellow:
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Brendan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:52 pm

Good to see another added to the Newy crew!

Welcome aboard mate :greetings-waveyellow:

If you need to know where to find/buy anything in the area, just ask :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Linny » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:05 pm

Hey bud, Sorry I cant help you out right now ... maybe down the track when things slow down ( :pray: hopefully) but what Brendan said just ask and we can help you with advice :greetings-waveyellow:
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Sam. » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:04 pm

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hope you realise BIGD and linny only got you here to claim the prize of getting a friend to join ;-)

By the way the prize is a massive bag of fuck all :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Godzilla2456 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:09 am

Welcome!

I'm a newy as well! The community has come across as very welcoming and very knowledgeable so far,also just a bunch of friendly guys. I'm sure you'll fit in great!
Godzilla2456

equipment: T500 Reflux Still + a copper pot still head with leibig

Postby BIG D » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:12 am

sam_and_liv wrote:Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hope you realise BIGD and linny only got you here to claim the prize of getting a friend to join ;-)

By the way the prize is a massive bag of fuck all :laughing-rolling:

Unreal I love fuck all :teasing-neener: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby Itwrexme » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:40 pm

Thanks all so far for the warm welcome. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Keen to catch up with some of the locals and discussing stills and brewing as I'm only a newbie to the art of distilling. :teasing-neener:
Also any locals keen to give me a hand to put a good still/boiler together for myself to use instead of my shitty little 5l still spirits reflux it would be very much appreciated.
Itwrexme

equipment: Shitty little 5l still looking into upgrading to a keg setup hopefully.

Postby Andy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:00 pm

welcome mate.

what sort of still are you looking at upgrading to? (if unsure have a look here http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3117 or just tell us what you want to make :handgestures-thumbupleft: and your budget :(( )
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby C2H6O » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:05 pm

Hi Itwrexme, welcome to the forum.
I cant help on the build mate but i can point you in the right direction if you haven't seen this yet. If you're short on tools ect.. FSD has an awesome range of stills or parts for the build.. you will prob also find you cannot buy the raw materials cheaper than the cost of one of these rigs http://www.5stardistilling.net/modular-stills/
All that said if its the build you're keen on go for it mate, we all appreciate a good build thread so bring on the pics
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby Brendan » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:12 pm

Hey mate, not sure how much I can help at the moment due to work, but we might be able to organise a run day or something before Linny posts away :handgestures-thumbupleft:

We'll see how we go, figure out what you want to do/make and we'll see what can be done. If you want anything complicated built like mine, I'd say don't do it to yourself, just buy it from Mac in SS! :D
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Itwrexme » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:01 pm

Brendan wrote:Hey mate, not sure how much I can help at the moment due to work, but we might be able to organise a run day or something before Linny posts away :handgestures-thumbupleft:

We'll see how we go, figure out what you want to do/make and we'll see what can be done. If you want anything complicated built like mine, I'd say don't do it to yourself, just buy it from Mac in SS! :D

Cheers
Have a 50l keg ready to go to start building the boiler,then to start on maybe a boka or reflux condenser.
Something fairly easy to use for a newbie and without having to stand by its side for the whole run.
Not saying I'm not expecting it to be checked every now and then just not keen on standing nearby for the whole run.
Hopefully get a neutral product come out at 90% plus would be great.
May even add a thumper if people think its worth the time and trouble.
But like I said I'm only a newbie so any advice on which still to build for ease of use and good % would be great.
Hopeing to mainly use my new still for burbourn/rum/scotch and other drinks similar. :teasing-tease:
Itwrexme

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:04 pm

You can't leave any still unattended, mate :naughty:

You've also got a fair bit of reading to do... You want to make 90%+ neutral with a thumper and make whiskey and rum?
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Sam. » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:06 pm

Itwrexme wrote:Not saying I'm not expecting it to be checked every now and then just not keen on standing nearby for the whole run.

How keen are you on burning down your shed or house?

If shit goes wrong you want to be right next to it.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Itwrexme » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:09 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:You can't leave any still unattended, mate :naughty:

You've also got a fair bit of reading to do... You want to make 90%+ neutral with a thumper and make whiskey and rum?

I understand this,just saying I don't want to stand beside it the whole run.
More then now about having to check every now and then but just like I said be beside it the whole run.
Itwrexme

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:14 pm

You need to be beside your still for the entire run... From the moment you turn it on to when you turn it off.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Itwrexme » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:15 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:
Itwrexme wrote:Not saying I'm not expecting it to be checked every now and then just not keen on standing nearby for the whole run.

How keen are you on burning down your shed or house?

If shit goes wrong you want to be right next to it.

I would be in the next room just not right beside it.
I think things are being a bit over done with these replies,as I no I can't go to work with it left on or out to lunch our dinner. :angry-banghead:
Itwrexme

Postby Itwrexme » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:17 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:You need to be beside your still for the entire run... From the moment you turn it on to when you turn it off.

Sorry if I come across rude but I do have a still at he moment and have a rough idea on this.
Itwrexme

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:19 pm

Or, as it happens, in the room next door :angry-banghead: look mate you don't have to handcuff yourself to the thing, but you really need to be with it at all times. There's plenty that can go very wrong, and it will do it very quickly.

You'll be changing cuts jars every couple of minutes anyway...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Itwrexme » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:21 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Or, as it happens, in the room next door :angry-banghead: look mate you don't have to handcuff yourself to the thing, but you really need to be with it at all times. There's plenty that can go very wrong, and it will do it very quickly.

You'll be changing cuts jars every couple of minutes anyway...

This I understand and agree with and was what info I was needing cheers thanks Zak. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Itwrexme

Next

Return to Welcome Centre