Hi all how's brewing

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Re: Hi all how's brewing

Postby Sam. » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:21 pm

At the end of the day you will run your still however you see fit but we don't want to see people posting about running a still unattended or advising anyone else to do so :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Sinerjee » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:22 pm

Itwrexme wrote:
sam_and_liv wrote:
Itwrexme wrote:Not saying I'm not expecting it to be checked every now and then just not keen on standing nearby for the whole run.

How keen are you on burning down your shed or house?

If shit goes wrong you want to be right next to it.

I would be in the next room just not right beside it.
I think things are being a bit over done with these replies,as I no I can't go to work with it left on or out to lunch our dinner. :angry-banghead:

Mate its not so much that they are being over done. Everyone here is just really big on safety. No one is going to recommend something to you that you could leave alone for a while because no one here would recommend leaving it alone for any length of time. If something were to go wrong and you weren't there, it would be a hell of alot worse than if you were right there when it happened.
Even being in the next room could be the difference between a major disaster and just a small issue. The most I will do is sitting next to it but still in visible range of the TV 8-}
Sinerjee

equipment: FSD 4" Modular Pot
FSD 4" Packed Section, RC and Gin Caddy added.
30L Keg running on Gas.

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:28 pm

If we've got any chance of getting this hobby legalised, we need safety to be the absolute priority. As soon as someone gets hurt, killed or a house burns down and it gets traced back to a still, we may as well give up.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby TheMechwarrior » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:30 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:If we've got any chance of getting this hobby legalised, we need safety to be the absolute priority. As soon as someone gets hurt, killed or a house burns down and it gets traced back to a still, we may as well give up.

:text-+1:
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby MacStill » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:30 pm

If in doubt take a read of the fuck ups thread, plenty of good stories in there that'll make you think twice before ducking out for a shit while your stills running :))
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby woodduck » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi mate no one's trying to have a go at you their looking out for you! Just have a read of the fuck up thread (I'd use a link if I knew how) you will soon see how real and dangerous this shit is. I myself resently had a close call when I left my still unattended and I was lucky I didn't kill myself and the neighbors.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Itwrexme » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:36 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:You can't leave any still unattended, mate :naughty:

You've also got a fair bit of reading to do... You want to make 90%+ neutral with a thumper and make whiskey and rum?

Yeah even if it's only essence or flavours from the local hbs as only a newbi so experimenting will come with time.
Thumper not really important.
Have done a fair bit of reading but more keen to catch up with others and chat/learn face to face rather then just being a keyboard warrior.
Sorry for last statement if it offends any1 but I dislike just being on here or any other forum and not meeting the guys/girls I'm getting info or help from. :scared-eek:
Itwrexme

equipment: Shitty little 5l still looking into upgrading to a keg setup hopefully.

Postby twojaythomo » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:36 pm

Hello mate I am pretty new too these guys have been so great, helped so much with my build wish I had of come here before I bought 3 HBS stills.
twojaythomo

equipment: 4" Bubbler, keg boiler with 2 elements and voltage regulator.

Postby Itwrexme » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:44 pm

Thanks all for the safety tips and wise info.
Maybe I should of took a breath before my replies. :doh:
Safety as a big concern for me as well as others around me and should not be taken lightly I know.
Safety properly isn't 1 of the biggest issues with this hobbie as I feel it may never be legalized due to the fact the government will miss out on there cut plz a fare few of you more then likely if not do produce way better stuff then the big named branded stuff out here. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :happy-partydance: :clap:
Itwrexme

equipment: Shitty little 5l still looking into upgrading to a keg setup hopefully.

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:49 pm

We realise we're pushing shit uphill to get Canberra behind us, but as soon as a still explodes or burns a house down, we can kiss any chance of it happening goodbye.

And you're right, it's not hard to make stuff better than the bottlo will sell you ;-)

If I were you, I'd build a simple 2" pot still... If you only want whiskey and rum, you won't need a reflux still.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Itwrexme » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:53 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:We realise we're pushing shit uphill to get Canberra behind us, but as soon as a still explodes or burns a house down, we can kiss any chance of it happening goodbye.

And you're right, it's not hard to make stuff better than the bottlo will sell you ;-)

If I were you, I'd build a simple 2" pot still... If you only want whiskey and rum, you won't need a reflux still.

Thanks heaps for all your info Zak. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Itwrexme

Previous

Return to Welcome Centre