Semi-Newbie from Melbourne here!

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Semi-Newbie from Melbourne here!

Postby slodki » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi All!

Just a quick post to say hi.

Quick background - I started getting into this hobby around the age of 16 (hahahaha) after helping the old man brew his own neutrals. Both uncles are boiler makers, so the old man came up with a reflux design for them to weld up. Worked quite well, but was large and cubersome to operate.

Couple years ago we got a T500 cause it was nice and compact. We were actually surprised at the ease of use and decided to put the original gear in the corner of the garage.

Up until recently I knew nothing else but HBS and turbo yeasts etc. I found this awesome forum and started reading heaps last few weeks. Ran my first batch of TPW doing 200ml cuts and wasn't sure what to expect (even though everyone raves about it).

Well.....after the TPW/cuts I ain't going back to turbos. I used to filter my products, but now the pre-filtered liquid smells just about the same as the carbon filter turbos. I still think I'll filter the TPW to get that extra bit out.

I've got 3 x 25L TPW batches fermenting away.

I think I'm gonna have to rip out that 50L keg and build a new still to speed things up a bit.

Been doing lots of reading and still trying to figure out best way to get the absolute best neutrals. LM, VM, LM/VM combo, 5-6 plate bubbler with packing etc etc.

Might start off with something a bit easier to build. I'm sure we have a couple metres of 4" copper sitting around somewhere :happy-partydance:
slodki

equipment: FSD Neutralizer

Re: Semi-Newbie from Melbourne here!

Postby Sam. » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:41 pm

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Good too see another TPW convert :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby tipsy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:30 pm

Welcome.
Love to see some pics of the old still if you got em?
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby spit'n'shine » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:25 pm

Welcome mate.. Congrats on finding this site, there is a tonne of info here to help you produce some great gear! :D
spit'n'shine

equipment: 2" Boka , 2" Pot still , 4" 4 plate column blockhead "Angry Bob", 50l keg boiler (gas)

Postby TheMechwarrior » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:48 pm

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If you're after a quick an affordable upgrade from your T500 I believe 7evan has a 2"VM still in the for sale section ;-)

Cheers,

Mech.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby Whiskyaugogo » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:14 pm

:greetings-waveyellow:
Whiskyaugogo
Site Donor

equipment: To be updated

Postby 1 2many » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:52 pm

Welcome slodki great to have you here and enjoy the ride, is it only neutrals your after or do you plan on doing some flavored drinks as well? :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby slodki » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:19 pm

Geez guys, didn't expect any comments to be honest!

Awesome community here.

I'm Eastern European background so the only thing we drink is vodka (if that runs out then anything 40% will do). At the moment I'm only interested in making neutrals and infusing them to make some different flavoured vodkas. Might venture out to other spirits down the line.

I saw the VM for sale, but being the stubborn bastard I am I want to build my own. Been reading up a bit on VM/LM/CM/Combos/Plates a fair bit lately - and I'm really liking the idea of a modular 6plate bubbler for vodkas, and remove some plates to add in some flavour. If I can I would prefer to do straight runs, vs stripping/spirit runs.

Just finished running another 25L TPW through the T500, airing out as we speak. I think I'm starting to get a feel for cuts/temps/etc.

Anyway time for more bed time reading :))
slodki

equipment: FSD Neutralizer

Postby Brendan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:36 pm

Hey mate, welcome along to the forum :greetings-waveyellow:

If you want the 'absolute best' neutrals, a VM is what gets there in my opinion. But you've got to sit through 12 hour sprit runs to get there...

But a 6 plate bubbler with packed section comes pretty close, and with the added benefit of great speed. And once you start making decent washes with grain flavour, you might want a hint of that in there too for character.

With infusing vodkas with fruit, you don't need the absolute best neutral anyways, just a clean base to start with...

Good luck with whatever you choose :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby crow » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:24 am

Hi and welcome here, hmm slivovich is fairly popular with the Central and Eastern Europeans around the forums but if you are really chasing the absolute perfect neutral I would suggest going with an all grain single grain stepped or passive mash. grain to look at would be millet,oats, barley, wheat of even flour :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Return to Welcome Centre