Howdy from pakenham

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Re: Howdy from pakenham

Postby kiwikeg » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:42 am

Just to clarify my above post, my referances to cost recovery i meant that if a bottle of bourbon cost $40 and you make a bottle for $5-$9 and drink it yourself you are $30 better off.
Selling is very bad :violence-stickwhack:
Also even giving it away to friends or bartering is not allowed in NZ.
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby MacStill » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:04 am

kiwikeg wrote:bartering is not allowed in NZ.

We feel the same way here, as if you trade homemade spirit your basically using it as cash.... well that's how I see it anyway :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby choppy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:39 pm

You're all over it Sinerjee. I was referring to selling the empty bottles, not selling spirits.
choppy

equipment: PD reflux still
home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Postby MacStill » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:43 pm

choppy wrote:You're all over it Sinerjee. I was referring to selling the empty bottles, not selling spirits.

yeah fair enough cobber, but a good reminder for all anyway.

enjoy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby digitalebola » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:34 pm

OK i'm leaning towards one of macs FSD Neutralizer.
Can anyone point me to more information about how the bubblers work?

I've done some online reasearch and have got a basic idea of whats happening but i cant work out if any external water cooling is required, if power regulation on a 2400 watt element is required and where do thermometers sit on the column + how to adjust temps etc. I've seen lots of videos of them in action but nothing answering my questions :) and on here its very difficult to find the info im after

Sorry for the noob questions.
Last edited by digitalebola on Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
digitalebola

equipment: Bathtub and a stick for essential oils

Postby digitalebola » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:38 pm

digitalebola

Postby Sam. » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:03 pm

Have you read the rest of the newby corner where I posted that link?

You are getting into the deep end too quick mate, you need to understand the basics first or you are going to end up more confused than when you started.

Also we didn't give all the members here cutlery to spoon feed you with ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby SBB » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:11 pm

:text-+1: on what Sam said
digitalebola wrote: how to adjust temps etc. I've seen lots of videos of them in action but nothing answering my questions

Thats one of the things most newbies have trouble getting their head around, you cant adjust temperature. The mixture in your boiler will boil at what ever temp it wants, This is temp changes slowly but constantly. The temp change is governed by the make up of the wash in the boiler, this is also changing for the entire time the still is running.
What you can do is adjust how hard the wash boils, that is not the same thing as adjusting the temp.
To put it in simple terms, Think about a pot of water on a stove, turn the stove up just enough to make the water barely boil.
The temp of that water is 100c.........now turn the stove up flat out...........get that water really boiling and rolling.......the temp is now what ?
A good place to start reading is in Newbies Corner. a lot of what you need to understand is there.
Here are a couple of good places to start, reading them in the order I have listed them should make life easier. The second link is on How to make cuts and about the different fractions of a run. Without understanding this process you will never make good booze no matter how good the still you buy is.
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2857
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3541
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2859
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:20 pm

Trouble is SBB I've been showing him some links in private & he's still asking similar on here, I'm beginning to think it's all just a big wind up.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby digitalebola » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:10 pm

Thanks SBB and Sam -

I've read about making cuts every 300ml, hearts, tails etc. That all makes sense to me in theory.
I've read about making a proper non turbo wash using the TPW recipe.

I had spent all my time learning the T500 and similar stills - but once i started looking at the bubblers i totally changed my mind.

My only issue was that its completely different to what i researched so far. I understand the vapor works its way up through the various chambers refluxing and such but i couldn't find out how to adjust temps etc. Thats what threw me. I also don't want to buy crap and upgrade later as i don't have that kind of money to waste.

I really appreciate the links you've given and ill get to work reading. I know its frustrating when noobs ask questions - i used to run a couple of forums on DSLR photography, aquaponics and ham radio.
digitalebola

Postby 1 2many » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:21 pm

Digitalebola wrote: I also don't want to buy crap and upgrade later as i don't have that kind of money to waste.

I f you don't want to upgrade later you have already searched your options and know the answer.

I was fortunate enough to find this forum before I ever spent a dime on distillation equipment and after considerable amount of reading came to the conclusion that I think you have found, and went the 5Star way and very happy I did. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby SBB » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:23 pm

Mate I never mind answering questions, and most of us don't........But you are getting way ahead of yourself here. Lots of newbies turn up here thinking that to make a good drink you pour wash in a still , turn it on, watch it come out the other end and drink it.
Sorry but it don't work that way, on the other hand it aint rocket science either, You need to understand the basics.....before you can move on.
Some of the other distilling forums will tell you one thing, read and learn yourself. We try not to do that here, but it is expected that you try to get your head around the basics by doing some research yourself.
The "search our site " button at the top of every page is a useful tool.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby digitalebola » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:24 pm

Thanks SBB point taken.

I've brewed before - just not distilled.
I'll read more before asking more questions

Cheers
digitalebola

Postby SBB » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:27 pm

SBB wrote:The temp of that water is 100c.........now turn the stove up flat out...........get that water really boiling and rolling.......the temp is now what ?

So the answer is ?
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby digitalebola » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:31 pm

Water cant boil hotter than 100 regardless of boil speed..

However water can boil at cooler temps depending on height above sea level. Ie in a vacuum water can boil at room temperature.
digitalebola

Postby MacStill » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:33 pm

You're still missing the point champ :angry-banghead:

During your research if you have a question you'll get pointed in the right direction, as the guys guiding you will see you're making an effort..... this is what we like to see.

Dont rush! Dont rush! Dont rush!

A wash takes at least a week to ferment

A still takes a day to run including setup to cleanup

Cuts take time to air & even more time to get right

Then the angels will want their fair share over at least a few months or in some cases years.

Nothing in this hobby is instant.

Chill out, grab a vodka & start soaking it all in, in a measured & controlled way...... it's the only way.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby 1 2many » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:35 pm

:text-+1: Yep what he said. ;-)
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby SBB » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:37 pm

Zactly.....and that is why you cant run a still by temperature. The mixture of compounds in the wash is constantly changing, and each of those compounds has a different boiling temp. And all those compounds are mixed together to complicate it further.

You can however adjust how hard it boils, this in turn can effect how much reflux you are getting with a reflux still, it can be the difference between the smearing or not of your cuts. It effects the output speed on pot stills, those are just a couple of examples.............there is a lot to learn.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:40 pm

MacStill wrote:Dont rush! Dont rush! Dont rush!

A wash takes at least a week to ferment

A still takes a day to run including setup to cleanup

Cuts take time to air & even more time to get right

Then the angels will want their fair share over at least a few months or in some cases years.

Nothing in this hobby is instant.

Chill out, grab a vodka & start soaking it all in, in a measured & controlled way...... it's the only way.

Nicely put Mac :handgestures-thumbupleft:
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby digitalebola » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:43 pm

Thanks guys - I DO appreciate the help.
I'll figure it all out.

:text-thankyoublue:
digitalebola

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome Centre