Hello from Lyndhurst Vic

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hello from Lyndhurst Vic

Postby Guppy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:13 am

Hi there,

Im an All grain home brewer with a 3V herms brew rig and electric brew controller and have been breweing fine craft ales for around 3 years now. But as with all hobbies you end up wanting to give something else a try. So here I am wanting to have a go at distilling.

Im starting out using my 18 litre urn to make a pot still just to see how I go. If I enjoy the hobbie (And Im sure I will) then I will buy a 50 litre keg and upgrade.

Ive just finished making my condensor from 3/4 inch copper pipe and im going to use silicone hose around the lip of the urn so I can clamp the lid down tight with a good seal.

Getting lots of good ideas from this forum and a mate who also distills.
Guppy

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler and pot still.

Re: Hello from Lyndhurst Vic

Postby Sam. » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:15 am

Welcome mate, what spirits are you hoping to make?

Also just keep in the back of your mind about what materials you are going to use in the vapour path. The safety section has some good info :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby baysidebogan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:31 am

Welcome Guppy, great to see another Vic bloke here. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
baysidebogan

equipment: 2 inch JayD copper pot,50l keg 2400 mac element, and a 19lt pot still with thumper that sits on the stove in the kitchen

Postby 1 2many » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:32 am

Welcome Guppy great to have you here enjoy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Guppy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:11 am

sam_and_liv wrote:Welcome mate, what spirits are you hoping to make?

Also just keep in the back of your mind about what materials you are going to use in the vapour path. The safety section has some good info :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hi Sam_and_liv, I hope to make mainly scotch whiskeys, and bourbons but would also like to do a Canadian club clone as the missus and I really enjoy drinking this when were not drinking beer.

I will only have copper in the vapour path and just the silicone hose around the pots rim, but will certainly read the safety section.

Thanks heaps.
Guppy

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler and pot still.

Postby Sam. » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:23 am

The humble pot still will get you off to a flying start for those drink choices :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Your all grain background will help but be aware distilling is a different kettle of fish, some of the practices may disturb you ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby baysidebogan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:40 am

Guppy, keep the small urn pot still even when you upgrade to using a keg. You can use the smaller pot still to test various recipes first and then if you like that particular batch, you can make a larger one to run through the keg :handgestures-thumbupleft:
baysidebogan

equipment: 2 inch JayD copper pot,50l keg 2400 mac element, and a 19lt pot still with thumper that sits on the stove in the kitchen

Postby tipsy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:07 pm

Hi :greetings-waveyellow:
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Return to Welcome Centre