So...Like... Another newbie G'day from FNQ...

Say Hi and introduce yourself

So...Like... Another newbie G'day from FNQ...

Postby HoochHound » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:30 pm

G'day from Cairns,

So having been brewing my own beer for almost 10 years, I finally found the spare change to buy myself a new toy. I went with a Still Spirits T500 pack on the understanding that while it isn't the ultimate setup, it will get me started without too much mucking around. I've now got enough hydrometers to use them as decorations on the Christmas tree and you can never have too many fermenters to rack stuff off. :smile:

Having gone for the "complete pack" I'm doing the included dex wash "by the book" for the first run. I figure it's a good way to familiarise myself with the processes and procedures. That said, I'm so glad I found this site - I've never seen so much carbon in my life, looking at the black mixture I made three days ago gives me the shudders. It's the furthest thing from natural I've ever seen. There's cabron in the Dex, carbon in the yeast, liquid carbon to add to the wash, carbon in the clearing agents and carbon in the filter. I should just suck on a pencil. This site has reassured me that this can be a continuation of the relaxing, fun and cheap hobby that I love.

Then there's that Turbo yeast... I'm sure that it's a common newbie question. Is that shit meant to crank through the airlock like a dodgy curry? It's only 48 hours and it seems to have almost finished off 6kg of dex. It's unnatural when you're used to taking it nice and easy with a few weeks fermentation on a dark ale.

Cheers! And looking forward to hanging around.
HoochHound

equipment: T500 - Yep, I'm a newbie! :)

Re: So...Like... Another newbie G'day from FNQ...

Postby BIG D » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:38 pm

You got it its only natural if you wanna make fuel for internal combustion engines. :text-lol:
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby BIG D » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:51 pm

Sorry mate welcome and once you've used that stuff have a crack at a tpw and do your cuts I think you will prefer it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:28 am

HoochHound wrote:G'day from Cairns,

Then there's that Turbo yeast... I'm sure that it's a common newbie question. Is that shit meant to crank through the airlock like a dodgy curry? It's only 48 hours and it seems to have almost finished off 6kg of dex. It's unnatural when you're used to taking it nice and easy with a few weeks fermentation on a dark ale.

Cheers! And looking forward to hanging around.

Seems there's a couple of Cairnites here.

Welcome

As for the Turbos...... good for cleaning runs. ... or just the runs. :-D :D

As mentioned - give the tomato paste wash (TPW) a go or an Uncle Jesse Simple Sour Mash ( UJSSM )
The results will be far better and no carbon needed.
:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby agro » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:28 am

g'day from up the hill I'm on the tablelands just west of Mareeba :wave:
like you have read so far do the turbo wash to learn how your still works then do a tpw,
i did my first one and the wife said she didnt see why we are doing thing differntly then i did my second and she said it smells so much better and the taste is great :-D
agro

equipment: ss t500 & ss super reflux

Postby Teddysad » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:51 pm

TPW is a great neutral wash

Another to try is the weel/bix allbran type for a bit of flavour
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby Andy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:10 pm

welcome mate. having the beer experience is great and you will enjoy not having to sterilise everything a hundred times!!
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby HoochHound » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:25 pm

Thanks for the welcome folks.

I'm mainly looking forward to not spending so much of my life with a bottle brush in hand.

I'm not going to stop brewing beer, but this should make life less of a chore and add some welcome variety.
HoochHound

equipment: T500 - Yep, I'm a newbie! :)

Return to Welcome Centre