Hello from SEQ

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hello from SEQ

Postby jimbobby » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:15 pm

Hello all, I found this site whilst looking for a remedy for a leaky turbo 500 and yes it leaks around the plastic bit at the top of the condenser. After having a quick look at this site I was amazed that you can use Tomato Paste in a wash. For the last 2 years I have been using a Weet-bix wash, and double distilling, A friend in Nowra NSW put me not to it and I have not had any problems. I didn’t know about cuts etc. so there is a bit of a challenge and learning curve there. Well anyway I’m glad I found this site, there is so much information to absorb and I may have to give the Tomato Paste Wash a go and look forward to learning more Cheers Jim
jimbobby

equipment: Stills Spirit Turbo 500

Re: Hello from SEQ

Postby tipsy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:17 pm

Welcome mate. Cuts are a must. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:23 pm

Welcome mate. What weetbix wash have you been using?

Learn up on cuts and get a copper cap on top of that still and you'll be laughing.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby jimbobby » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:34 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Welcome mate. What weetbix wash have you been using?

Learn up on cuts and get a copper cap on top of that still and you'll be laughing.

Thanks for that, as for the weetbix wash
18 weetbix
5kg sugar
1.5 tsp Epsom salts
1 tsp Citric acid
about 80gm bakers yeast (Ive been using Lowens Dried Yeast in a can)
and 25 ltrs of water
hope this helps
Jim
jimbobby

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:39 pm

With that wash, you are well on the way to making a really nice vodka... Once you get your head around the cuts that is :handgestures-thumbupleft:

What is it that you like to drink? Vodka/neutral, or do you use essences to make whiskey and rum?
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby kickarum » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:08 pm

Hi Jimbo
Welcome aboard, there certainly is lots of info here with helpful members and the great thing is if you follow the general consensus things always turn out exactly as expected. Read heaps it's a great book, I'm at Kawana on the Sunny Coast where are you roughly? If you're close maybe I can help you out with that repair.
Cheers Kicka.
kickarum

equipment: Penny Copper pot still, 50L Keg/Boiler

Postby jimbobby » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:19 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:With that wash, you are well on the way to making a really nice vodka... Once you get your head around the cuts that is :handgestures-thumbupleft:

What is it that you like to drink? Vodka/neutral, or do you use essences to make whiskey and rum?

For Bourbon and Jack I soak the neutral in glass jars with the chips I buy from the HBS, which is for me and with Rum and Whiskey I use essences, and after i filter the neutral some of it goes into a vodka bottle as i feel there is no need to add a vodka essence to it, as for liqueurs etc I use essences as I only do it to keep my bar stocked, and after learning about cuts I could see a big improvement on taste and quality
jimbobby

Postby jimbobby » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:31 pm

kickarum wrote:Hi Jimbo
Welcome aboard, there certainly is lots of info here with helpful members and the great thing is if you follow the general consensus things always turn out exactly as expected. Read heaps it's a great book, I'm at Kawana on the Sunny Coast where are you roughly? If you're close maybe I can help you out with that repair.
Cheers Kicka.

Thanks Kicka I have started to read up on cuts and trying to get my head around a few things currently I am at Mount Warren park which I think is a fair hike from the sunshine coast, But thank you for the offer.

Jim
jimbobby

Postby 1 2many » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:53 pm

:greetings-waveyellow: Hi jimbobby good to have you here sounds like your well on your way. enjoy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby BIG D » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:18 pm

Welcome aboard jimbobby. :greetings-waveyellow:
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby woodduck » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:35 pm

Hi jimbobby :greetings-waveyellow: welcome, happy stillin :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Return to Welcome Centre