Hi all, from Melbourne’s west.

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi all, from Melbourne’s west.

Postby andybear » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:22 pm

My name is Andy and I’m in Melbourne’s West. I have had an interest in distillation for many years but recently I spoke with some guys that were actually making their own spirits. This inspired me to make a start. So I bought a Turbo 500. A good starting place for a newbie but I’ve made 3 batches now and I’m ready to move on.
What I really want is to make rum. Good rum. It doesn't have to replicate Bundy, but I’d be as proud as punch if it did. I would also like to produce some bourbon, only because many of my family prefer it, but if it is as involved as making rum, I’ll probably keep making this stuff with the Turbo 500.
I have read heaps on this site already, and seen some clips on youtube too. But I want to discuss with someone the advantages of using a bubbler instead of a pot still to produce rum. I also read the builds of Brendan and yummyrum. Impressive stuff. Something to aim for in the future.
I hope to keep on learning from you all, so I’ll keep reading the forum, and hopefully I can catch up with someone local to me to actually see the set up in action, and possibly taste the results. Cheers. :wave:
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Re: Hi all, from Melbourne’s west.

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:43 pm

You want to make good rum, and you hope it tastes like Bundy? Come on man, one or the other :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Not that I've ever tried, but they tell me that Bundy is a hard flavour to replicate...

Making rum is easier than bourbon... Rum wash is more or less just molasses, the options for bourbon wash is almost endless.

The advantage of the bubbler is that you will do single runs, rather than stripping wash and redistilling the low wines, and bubbler spirits reportedly taste a lot better as well :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'd probably start with a pot still head for your T500, if I was in your situation.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Boomgate » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:13 pm

Hi Zac, if you have a standard T500 reflux still you would end up with a result that has a high level of alcohol but doesnt taste like much of anything except perhaps vodka even if you use a wash that tastes like rum.

If that is the case, dont panic, all is not lost. Rum gets a lot of its flavour from the oak it is stored in. If you get some "Bundaberg" oak chips, you should get a very Bundy brew... in fact it will probably taste better than Bundy....
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:21 pm

I said to start with a pot still head for the T500 boiler ;-)

As it happens, rum wash through a reflux will probably get you somewhere near a Bacardi :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby 1 2many » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:34 pm

Hi Andybear great to have you here, plenty of good info here to help you out, And bubblers yes they are impressive :handgestures-thumbupleft: .
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby tipsy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:21 pm

:greetings-waveyellow:
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby andybear » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:07 pm

Thanks guys
I'll take your advise and keep reading aussiedistiller and look for a pot still set up or just the head for my boiler. But I am a bit concerned that its a bit on the small side. At only 30 lt capacity I can put 25 lt of sugar wash but I've read that a molassis wash will foam up a bit. So I'm not sure how much I can put in it. Any thoughts?
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby Boomgate » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:32 pm

andybear wrote:Thanks guys
I'll take your advise and keep reading aussiedistiller and look for a pot still set up or just the head for my boiler. But I am a bit concerned that its a bit on the small side. At only 30 lt capacity I can put 25 lt of sugar wash but I've read that a molassis wash will foam up a bit. So I'm not sure how much I can put in it. Any thoughts?

Dont worry mate, you will be fine, where abouts in the west are you? I am doing a reflux run shortly if you want a demo...
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Postby 7evan » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:30 pm

Chuck some oil in the wash before distilling or buy some HBS 'distilling conditioer'.
Works a treat.
7evan

equipment: FSD/COPPER handmade crossbred bubbler!
Itailian Spiral Burner with HP Reg

Postby andybear » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:13 pm

Boomgate wrote:

Dont worry mate, you will be fine, where abouts in the west are you? I am doing a reflux run shortly if you want a demo...

Hi Boomgate,
I’m in the Werribee area, but I’ve just started a FIFO job doing a 3-1 roster so I’m out of the state until 14 Oct. So if these days work for you I’d like to see another setup and what you have made.
andybear

Postby andybear » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:28 pm

7evan wrote:

Chuck some oil in the wash before distilling or buy some HBS 'distilling conditioer'.
Works a treat.

I've got some distilling conditioner. I'll do that thanks. So will I be able to do 25lt in my baby boiler?
andybear

Postby 7evan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:50 pm

The general rule of thumb is 10-15% headspace so you should be fine.
This differs for certain washes. TPW I've had fuuuuulllll.
Rum, not so much. Puke city :scared-eek:
7evan

equipment: FSD/COPPER handmade crossbred bubbler!
Itailian Spiral Burner with HP Reg

Postby woodyj80 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:12 pm

sup andybear from another west melbournian bud welcome to the forum any info you need im quite sure you will find if not the awesome members on here especially the wonderful mods would be able to help you out with :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodyj80

equipment: still spirits air still, 25 litre fermenter,carbon filter, 22 litre urn, 15 litre pot, and the usual bits and pieces

Postby andybear » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:34 pm

woodyj80 wrote:sup andybear from another west melbournian bud welcome to the forum any info you need im quite sure you will find if not the awesome members on here especially the wonderful mods would be able to help you out with :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks Woody. it is great to get all the welcomes from members. I see you've been a member for a few years. Have you added to your equipment list much since you began? I've been thinking of getting a pot still set up, but seeing all the bubblers on this forum is making me think to take a bigger jump forward.
cheers :greetings-waveyellow:
andybear

Postby 1 2many » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:51 pm

andybear wrote: but seeing all the bubblers on this forum is making me think to take a bigger jump forward.
cheers

You are learning quick mate, bubbler that's what I did and and couldn't be happier . :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby woodyj80 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:48 pm

been slack of late getting my gear setup lol should have bubbler built in the next few weeks i hope then prob build a pot and boka not that i will use them much after having a nice 4 plater but nice to have the extra's there just so i have choices :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodyj80

equipment: still spirits air still, 25 litre fermenter,carbon filter, 22 litre urn, 15 litre pot, and the usual bits and pieces

Postby res » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:59 am

I would think most people who use bubblers, including myself, will swear by them. If you have the money or the building skill to get one together you'll be glad you did. Any other investment in the stilling direction is unlikely to provide the same dividends,IMHO. :think:
Welcome the forum mate, always good to see some more local crew. :greetings-waveyellow:
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby andybear » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:43 pm

wow. both my neighbours either have a bubbler or are building one atm. I'm thinking this is the way to go. No one has any negative experiences from one. I'm going to keep looking into these.
Thanks guys. All the best for your build Woody. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
andybear

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:48 pm

Both of your neighbours have bubblers? :shock: I'm the only distiller in my town that doesn't use turbo yeast!

Are they members here? You should spread the word and/or get a pic of their stills if you can :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby res » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:35 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Both of your neighbours have bubblers? :shock: I'm the only distiller in my town that doesn't use turbo yeast!

Are they members here? You should spread the word and/or get a pic of their stills if you can :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Maybe he means 12 many and I, forum neighbours? :think: Or are you living in a really thirsty suburb andybear? :D

P.s I always read 12many's signature as "5 STAR STILLS . Do your self a flavour!!
It's funny because it's true ;-) Bubblers taste great!

Ok no more drinking and posting 8-)
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Next

Return to Welcome Centre