greetings from south australia

Say Hi and introduce yourself

greetings from south australia

Postby skurvy84 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:05 pm

Hi everyone,

Long time anon lurker/reader, first time poster.

Would like to thank everyone in advance for all the help and usefull info im sure to get and already have got. Have been lurking anonymous for while now ever since I stumbled across the site while googling jerky recipes (thanks for that philthy phil I think it was).

Any way avid home brewer and jerky enthusiast and have recently picked up still spirits super reflux along with the 25ltr boiler etc. I'm aware that its not the best but it will do as a start and I pick it up for a steal anyway. The gentlemen who I got it from has taken half of the ceramic scrubbers out and replaced them with small (what look to be) off cuts of copper pipe, I understand the idea behind it but practically is it pointless?, given that the column is copper anyway.

Anyway I hope I can pick up some little hints and tips and maybe a few tiny tweaks I can do, and return my help back to the community here.

Thanks in advance again

Skurvy84
skurvy84

equipment: Basic still spirits super reflux junker detuned, Pure Distilling Ultra reflux, keg boiler and pot still in the build process

Re: greetings from south australia

Postby 1 2many » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:36 pm

Welcome to the forum Skurvy and enjoy the ride. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Sam. » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:51 pm

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeah if the column is copper then I would pack it with stainless scrubbers, better surface area than the copper off cuts :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby skurvy84 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:32 pm

Sam. wrote:Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeah if the column is copper then I would pack it with stainless scrubbers, better surface area than the copper off cuts :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Is it still beneficial to leave some of the copper in there? I have a few weeks before I will have time to run any wash so hopefully I can pick some up at bunnings like ive read on here just before.

Was hoping to put down a TPW tonight but work called midshop and forgot the lemon... oh well can wait till tomorrow is guess :crying-blue:
skurvy84

equipment: Basic still spirits super reflux junker detuned, Pure Distilling Ultra reflux, keg boiler and pot still in the build process

Postby Redux » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:37 pm

you can still do a tpw without lemon.... do you have a wee bit of citric acid?

(hey experts.... would vinegar work? its acidic)
Redux

equipment: 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on a 50lt gasser keg ...
set up in a wee shed....

Postby skurvy84 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:59 pm

Redux wrote:you can still do a tpw without lemon.... do you have a wee bit of citric acid?

(hey experts.... would vinegar work? its acidic)

Nah Redux, dont have anything but a under performing sorry excuse for a lemon tree...... maybe I need to piss on it more? Lol should just belt to the shop but just put our little one to bed and the minister for war and finance is zonked out on the lounge :sad: haha
skurvy84

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:07 pm

I've done TPW's without any added lemon juice or acid :handgestures-thumbupleft:

It doesn't reeeeally matter, it's a pretty forgiving wash.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby skurvy84 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:18 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:I've done TPW's without any added lemon juice or acid :handgestures-thumbupleft:

It doesn't reeeeally matter, it's a pretty forgiving wash.

Oh awesome, in that case I'll get the pot on the stove and start heating some water, was dying to get something started before heading back wa for work. Mining seems to fit the fermentation time frame pretty good hahaha
skurvy84

Postby Sam. » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:32 pm

skurvy84 wrote:

Is it still beneficial to leave some of the copper in there? I have a few weeks before I will have time to run any wash so hopefully I can pick some up at bunnings like ive read on here just

You shouldn't need any extra if the column is copper, if your booze comes out smelling like rotten egg gas you need more :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:41 pm

a 2/1 roster suits this hobby just fine :handgestures-thumbupleft: Get a wash or two down before you fly out, and they should be ready to run when you get home ;-)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby skurvy84 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:51 pm

Sam. wrote:
skurvy84 wrote:

Is it still beneficial to leave some of the copper in there? I have a few weeks before I will have time to run any wash so hopefully I can pick some up at bunnings like ive read on here just

You shouldn't need any extra if the column is copper, if your booze comes out smelling like rotten egg gas you need more :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Haha cheers sam, I'll keep that in mind, I had a yeast infection (of the beer variety) and it caused that to smell horrendously bad. Righto I'll track down some true stainless ones and replace the lines with food grade stuff thanks sam
skurvy84

Postby skurvy84 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:54 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:a 2/1 roster suits this hobby just fine :handgestures-thumbupleft: Get a wash or two down before you fly out, and they should be ready to run when you get home ;-)

Haha yeah 2/1 suited me well for the beer fermentation, have to grab a few more of my fermenters from storage (mum and dads).... maybe some lemons... :angry-banghead:
skurvy84

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:02 pm

Whereabouts in SA are you mate?
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby skurvy84 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:23 pm

I'm down near sellicks beach myself. What about yourself? Are there plenty of SA folk around the traps
skurvy84

Postby woodduck » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:05 pm

Yer there's a few of us around, i imagine most would be in Adelaide but there's a few of us further out in the sticks where it's nice and quiet (a truck just rolled through town with his jake break on just as i typed that :laughing-rolling: ). I'm from the south east.

Welcome to the forum mate :greetings-waveyellow: enjoy.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby skurvy84 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:08 am

Got the TPW down lastnight and bubbling away nicely about 20mins later. Since its my first foray into distilling my matr had said with his pure distilling rig and the turbo gear he uses that the smell coming out tue bubbler is pretty rank. No such complaints with this and its alot easier than beer haha. Definitely going to get my extra fermenters going now.

Cheers everyone
skurvy84

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:11 am

Get your mate on board here, or just tell him about TPW and cuts and you'll both be making top shelf spirits in no time :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby skurvy84 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:50 am

Question for all of the SA locals to adelaide.

Where do you recommend or go to in in adelaide for things like oak chips, essence etc. I work in another state and buying online is kind of annoying and a hassle.

I know brewcraft, country brewer etc have what im after but just wondering if there are other places to go to.
skurvy84

Postby bt1 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:47 am

Hello Skurvy,

For brand new Americian white oak
http://www.tubbies.com.au/store/
8kg bag of off cut new staves for around $10 nice bloke too.

Paramount browns have used American and French wine barrel halves but they need skimming, wine stain, outer edge removed for about $45

Can't help with essence as not used.

enjoy
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Return to Welcome Centre