Wanted pot still and some help

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Wanted pot still and some help

Postby Gerardd » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:43 pm

Hi Folks
This is my first post, I want to brew Bourbon and whisky only am looking at pot stills and am wondering if someone would have one for sale or would be willing to build one with a boiler at a reasonable price.
I have been looking at 5 star plus a boiler plus a mash cooker etc. and I am looking at $1500+ minimum $2600 if I go for a modular
I have looked at a pure still at $760 I believe again maybe $1200+ with mash tun and gear
I really want to be able to do quality grain ferments and produce quality bourbon the quantity right now dosnt concern me so much but really want a quality set up that will produce a good drop.
If you have a great set up that you started with but out grew I would be very interested in purchasing or have parts of a great set up that is not being used please let me know maybe you have a Brew pot say 30ltr that you don't use would like to purchase quality gear.
If you think otherwise as I am a newbie let me know I have no other information to go by other than the brew stores By the way if you are in Mundaring and need a distilling apprentice my qualifications are :
1) Keen as
2) 42 years of age
3) Keen as
4) Keen as

Thanks Folks really appreciate any help :greetings-waveyellow:
Gerardd

equipment: Looking to buy whisky still and learn the Craft

Re: Wanted pot still and some help

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:48 pm

Welcome mate. I've moved this into the welcome centre, consider it your intro :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You probably don't need to spend hundreds of dollars on AG gear straight away, there's plenty of good whiskey to be made without it... There's also ways of making AG bourbon without a HERMS or RIMS setup.

If you want the best, go with a 4" modular pot from 5 Star... Then you'll be half way to the bubbler that you are going to buy eventually ;-)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby bluess57 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:59 pm

Welcome gerardd
First thing, get a keg for a boiler. Kegking is one option for buying. Decide on heating, gas or electric.
A pot still head can be made quite affordably out of 2inch copper if you're DIY inclined and willing to have a go at soldering.
Have a good look around the site before rushing into any decisions...
Plenty here been there done that, and can offer up good advice
The journey begins...
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Postby woodduck » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:21 pm

:text-+1:
There's something about making your own still that is very satisfying, sort of part of the journey. There are a heap of blokes on here that didn't have much hands on experience with the tools that have done a great job of building their own with the help of some of the how to threads on this site. But if building isn't your thing go with zacs suggestion on the 5 star stuff, it will be well worth it and you can simply add to it to make whatever type of still you want.

BTW hi :greetings-waveyellow: and welcome to the forum
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Gerardd » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:27 pm

Thanks
yeah I have been reading up and trying to decided what's best. drove out to macs place and had a chat and love his stills and passion.
Neil at Brew mart has been fantastic and full of info I feel the best way to future proof my decision would be a Macstill pot still to start and then progress if needed.

From my current understanding would the tees be needed if I wanted to strip faster if my intention was whisky and bourbon only and would 2 tees be ok to strip faster but retain flavour than say 4 tees not sure if 2 would be ok or I would I need to strip twice anyway so may as well stick to a standard pot still and strip twice anyway ?

You know what building a still sounds awesome I can do this Thanks Woodduck :happy-partydance:
Gerardd

Postby woodduck » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:31 pm

Go 4 plates and no strip runs, it will retain the flavour and will still be quite fast. So I'm told, i haven't had the pleasure of running a bubbler yet. :))
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby MacStill » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:37 pm

Now look into my eyes and open your wallet :teasing-tease:

Screen Shot 2014-09-24 at 8.35.39 pm.png

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby woodduck » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:39 pm

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: sold!
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby Gerardd » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:43 pm

Your funny Mac love your work but the missus shut me down for now I reckon the pot still and a keg boiler will be my best bet mate will catch up soon if that's cool can you save me the ibs tank :dance:
Gerardd

Postby MacStill » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:48 pm

tank was picked up already mate, got kegs, elements & plenty of pot stills in stock waiting :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Gerardd » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:49 pm

Next week will be cool she is going away for a few days so that's all I need to make my purchases :clap: sorry honey where you speaking %-( :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
Gerardd

Postby Gerardd » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:52 pm

No Dramas theres a guy in Mundaring that has them for 85 bucks
Gerardd

Postby Brendan » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:20 pm

Welcome to the forum mate :greetings-waveyellow:

As Zak said, you really don't need a lot of complicated equipment for AG Bourbon, can be done with a few simple items. Where you want to spend your money is in the still itself :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Good luck and enjoy the journey.
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Gerardd » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:43 pm

Thanks everyone for the help and warm welcome.
I am thinking a Macstill Pot still and converted Keg Boiler like many suggested.

Hey Mac are the clamps on the stills at the brew shop in Bayswater the same as the ones from you that I saw last week they look different and the tap that you had on the still out the back to adjust the flow were can these be purchased they were a square block type and they looked a bit more precise than the brass retic taps that come with the stills at the brew shop. :geek:
Gerardd

Postby MacStill » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:09 pm

Gerardd wrote:Thanks everyone for the help and warm welcome.
I am thinking a Macstill Pot still and converted Keg Boiler like many suggested.

Hey Mac are the clamps on the stills at the brew shop in Bayswater the same as the ones from you that I saw last week they look different and the tap that you had on the still out the back to adjust the flow were can these be purchased they were a square block type and they looked a bit more precise than the brass retic taps that come with the stills at the brew shop. :geek:

Those needle valves are available through my mrs work and are way overkill for these rigs, prices on gear like this are best discussed via the 5 star link in my sig.

The clamps should be the same, but may have just had different wing nuts, I have either available at the moment.

FSD contact guidelines

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Gerardd » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:57 pm

Ok Thanks folks for your help
I am on my way just purchased a Pot still from 5 star have to say the service is brilliant Allan spent at least an hour with me discussing options, so I just need to decide on a boiler and I am almost there. :text-thankyoublue:
Gerardd

Postby MacStill » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:48 pm

almost got you in the shit with the mrs too, that look in your eyes at my glass column just about had you with some explaining to do :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Gerardd » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:13 am

Oh yeah was the drool the telling sign that is exactly where I want to go :drool:
Gerardd

Postby MacStill » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:27 am

Gerardd wrote:Oh yeah was the drool the telling sign that is exactly where I want to go :drool:

I thought zak had drooling problems & that was what you wanted the rag for :teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Return to Welcome Centre