Hi from Redlands

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from Redlands

Postby Whale_oil_beef_hook » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:24 pm

Hi all, been looking around this forum for a while and thought I'd finally join in. I was given an AirStill :o as a gift, I know from reading on here it's not the best thing to use, but thought I'd give it a go. I've made WPOSW (have another fermenting now), DWWG, and a WBAB. I have steered well away from turbo's have been making cuts with collection jars,and soaking the final product on oaking chips. I am looking to upgrade in the future, but im limited by space living in a unit and $$$$. Just wondering on the setups that people have who live in units. Looking at pot stills as I mainly want to be making whiskey and bourbon.

Thanks
Whale_oil_beef_hook

equipment: AirStill (for now)

Re: Hi from Redlands

Postby 1 2many » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:27 pm

Welcome to the forum mate, looks like you have been reading up and know what you are after, enjoy. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Whiskyaugogo » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:31 pm

G'day and welcome b-(
Whiskyaugogo
Site Donor

equipment: To be updated

Postby woodduck » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:41 pm

G'day, welcome.

looks like you've done some research and done a few washes, good stuff. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Don't worry i think a few people have started with the air still, it got your foot in the door so to speak and you can always move up to something bigger/better. A pot still would be your best option i recon, it will do your burbons and it could be easily disassembled for storage. Although i think you'll find most of the stills will take up the same amount of space when your talking diameter (normally governed by boiler diameter) it's the head space that changes mostly. So if your cramped for room you could go for a smaller boiler.

Good luck.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:15 pm

Hey mate.

Not many unit specific set ups that I've seen here, nor stove top rigs.. Not to say it's not possible but we have a few clued on fellas here to set you right. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:23 pm

Have a look at Linny's Simple Still

If you want something small for a kitchen/laundry benchtop :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:34 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Have a look at Linny's Simple Still
If you want something small for a kitchen/laundry benchtop :handgestures-thumbupleft:
There it is! You could definitely adjust that build to suit your requirements, ss pot, ss lid, a hole and a pot head and your in business :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks Zak 8-)
Urrazeb

Postby The Stig » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:25 am

Where is "Redlands" ?
Are we talking south east Brisbane ?
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby MacStill » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:07 am

The Stig wrote:Where is "Redlands" ?
Are we talking south east Brisbane ?

That's what I first thought :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby woodyj80 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:47 am

welcome aboard mate best bet imo would be having a look at linny's setup or having a dive into the pots and go smaller boiler as was said :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodyj80

equipment: still spirits air still, 25 litre fermenter,carbon filter, 22 litre urn, 15 litre pot, and the usual bits and pieces

Postby Canuck » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:41 pm

my first still was a 1.5 " reflux with a single coil and a 3/4" liiebeg with 1/2 inside, on an old copper pot. operated it on the stove in the kitchen. think it did about 88% . had it clamped to the cupboards. I could build it now considerably cheaper with new knowledge learned here of swages and soldering. have some more pics someplace if you are interested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canuck

equipment: 44" *2" VM column with double wound condenser. modular 3" VM/pot (214 cm vm,160cm pot), 50 cm 2" shot pc 4*1/2", triple wound condenser with cold finger

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:56 pm

Love to see more of that parrot :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:54 am

I remember that! Nice take on a parrot :O)
Urrazeb

Return to Welcome Centre