Hi from Queensland

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from Queensland

Postby Atreu » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:49 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm fairly new to the distilling game; I bought a turbo 500 two weeks ago, and found this site about a week ago (starting to wish it was the other way around!) Still, I made my first wash (turbo classic, with the liquid carbon - all came with the still) and distilled it last week.

While I can't say it's as good as I'd hoped it would be, it still tasted better than spirits I've bought before!

At the moment, (after skulking around this forum for the last week) I have a TPW bubbling away nicely - it already smells better than the turbo, and im looking forward to enjoying this hobby for quite a while!

Atreu
Atreu

equipment: 5SD 4" 5 plate Bubbler with Packed Section... And an 8", 5SD inline thumper.

5SD carter head coming soon!!

Re: Hi from Queensland

Postby Muppet » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:56 pm

Welcome :greetings-waveyellow:
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby 1 2many » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:09 pm

G'day and welcome, good to here you have a tpw on the go and doubt you will use the turbo stuff again, enjoy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Andy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:25 pm

welcome mate :greetings-waveyellow:
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby agro » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:27 pm

Welcome aboard :greetings-waveyellow: even if you stuff up with a tpw it will still be better than the turbo crud :handgestures-thumbupleft:
agro

equipment: ss t500 & ss super reflux

Postby Sam. » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:32 pm

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You should be able to knock out some decent neutral with the 500. Must ask though have you read about cuts yet? :think:

Also was is your preferred drinks, as this may dictate what your next still is going to be :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Atreu » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:08 pm

Thanks everyone!

Sam, I did read the cuts section, but it was on the same day I did the distill; and with the turbo info "you only need to discard the first 50ml!" i thought I'd be okay... Aaaannnddd I had my first learning curve. After discarding the first 100ml I kept smelling it every 100ml or so, and realised pretty quickly I'd stuffed up. Needless to say, I now have 10 or so 350ml bottles ready for my next batch!

As for my favourite drink, I'm actually a bit of a drink whore... If it's good, I'll drink it. Having said that, I only just recently had a scotch I enjoyed - funnily enough, a mates homebrew - forgotten about, on a light oak, for 6 months. It was probably the thing that helped me decide i wanted to make spirits! It really was the nicest drink I think I've ever had.

As for the next step... (probably a silly question:) do I need different stills for different drinks?

thanks again to everyone for the welcome; from what little I've read on here, this is one clued on group.

Atreu
Atreu

equipment: 5SD 4" 5 plate Bubbler with Packed Section... And an 8", 5SD inline thumper.

Postby Bushy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:32 pm

Hey mate :greetings-waveyellow:
Good to see another convert to the wonderful world of home distillation.
Different stills for different drinks is one way to look at it. Have a read around the starter sections about pots, reflux and bubblers. You will soon pick it up.
Enjoy yr new hobby :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Sam. » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:35 pm

Atreu wrote:As for the next step... (probably a silly question:) do I need different stills for different drinks?

Not silly at all mate. Generally reflux stills are used for clear spirits (vodka) and pot stills are used for brown spirits (rum, whisky). Having said that you can use a combination of both to make a nuetrel in a reflux then run it though a pot still with botanicals to make gin.

There are many ways to skin a cat. Have a look at this, the different types of stills.

At the end of the day if you want to be able to make any type of spirit effectively and economically you will want a bubbler of some description :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I would suggest having a good poke around in the newbies corner as probably all your questions will be answered there and also some you hadn't even thought of asking yet ;-)

If there is something you don't understand or need clarification on then let us know :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby BIG D » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:37 pm

Hello mate and welcome, some very sound advice there from Sam. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :greetings-waveyellow:
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby Atreu » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:04 am

Thank you guys! :D
Atreu

Return to Welcome Centre