Howdy from G town

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Howdy from G town

Postby jamboz » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:56 am

Greetings and salutations to all you good people from a expatriate Scotsman living in Geelong.

For some time I had been considering purchasing a Pure Distilling reflux still and after some research found my way onto this forum. After a while spent browsing on here I have come to the realisation that I would be much better off and satisfied trying to build something myself. I have done a fair amount of reading and absorbed some tremendous information but feel that I still have a considerable amount to research to do before I am fully confident to commence a build in earnest.

At this stage I think that I am best going for a boka style still, keg boiler with hopefully pot and column reflux still attachments although I am extremely open to constructive suggestions on how to proceed.

So being a Scotsman I drink just about absolutely anything, but I am particularly partial to whisky( :o ), vodka and bourbon.

I have a lot more reading and research to do to get me to a point where I feel I have sufficient knowledge but I believe I possess or will be able to master/attempt the required skills to build a still.

I have been keeping an eye out for materials that I could use and have yet to score any copper although I did pick up a 50l keg today and to my surprise successfully and relatively easily managed to remove the valve this evening.

Anyway I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello (hi) instead of lurking around here like a weirdo. I also wanted to show my appreciation for all the awesome advice and information that is available on this forum. Oh and to word you up to expect some requests for help and advice from me, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Regards, jamboz
jamboz

equipment: None yet, still researching

Re: Howdy from G town

Postby peterhobit » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:45 am

Howdy Jamboz, makes your head spin with all the information here doesn't it :techie-typing:
peterhobit

equipment: 5SD six plate bubbler with packed section a Gin caddy + 5SD 60 liter boiler

Postby bt1 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:22 am

Welcome bloke,

Nice intro..

Given drink prefs, I be suggesting a bubbler rather than a Boka. Often said but true, you could learn Latin while waiting for Boka runs to complete. Even if time is not an issue, it's the waste of time that get's to you in the end.

A modular bubbler would give the flexibility required. I'm a fan of the glass bubblers essentially because they are way cheaper to build, very simple requiring a reduced set of skills and you get visibility of what's happening.

Would seem to be a lot less effort than a Boka pot and reflux attachments with it's inherent production rate issues for mine. A simple packed section for cleaning up the Vodkas would be nice but not critical on a modular 4/6 plater.

Everyone comes to a understanding of what kit they want at some point in time.. it's just a pity to not be using that from the get go.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Whiskyaugogo » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:25 am

Welcome mate :greetings-waveyellow:
Whiskyaugogo
Site Donor

equipment: To be updated

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:37 am

Welcome ;-) Sounds like your onto it.

Bt1 is right, Bokas are painfully slow and can kill the joy of running a still if you have to attend the still for 12-18hours for a low wines run :scared-eek: ~x(

Bubblers are the cream of the hobby, modular means you can make anything, they can be configured as a pot still for stripping, 4 plates for whisk(e)ys and 5 + packing for vodkas.

But that comes at a price, they are not an easy build but the developments of late in the design of these rigs make them a lot more accessible to the novice builder, sounds like you'll have no problem there.

Whatever you do be sure to take lots of pics and post it up as a build thread, we all love to watch :drool:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby 1 2many » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:57 am

G'day mate welcome aboard, yep as other have said looks like your all over it, enjoy the ride. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:52 am

Welcome mate,

Good to see your doing your research before jumping at a home brew shop still like most of us did.

Building your own set up is much more rewarding, and it'll give you a better understanding of what's going on inside your pretty piece of copper pipe.

Good Luck :handgestures-thumbupleft:
CaptainRedBeard

equipment: 2" SS Column Reflux Keg Still
2" Copper Pot Still w shotgun condenser
Kelvinator Fridge Fermenter

Postby jamboz » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:04 pm

Thanks for the welcome, and the passing on of your collective wisdom.

Initially my long term goal had been to maybe progress to a bubbler as I gained more knowledge and experience. I thought building a pot or reflux still would get me started as I learned the ropes however after listening to you more experienced folks I am having a change of heart. With two young kids I certainly don't have the time to spend 12-18 hours attending the still, did not realise it would be this long.

Back to the drawing board it is then. I have been reading through some of the bubbler build threads (some great work by the way) and I am slowly increasing my knowledge base. Gives me more time to collect the materials while I continue researching.

Are all bubblers run using an element or two in the boiler or can gas be used?

Cheers.
jamboz

Postby Redux » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:30 pm

jamboz wrote:Are all bubblers run using an element or two in the boiler or can gas be used?

Cheers.

i run a bubbler and on gas.... outdoors too...

easy!! :teasing-tease:
Redux

equipment: 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on a 50lt gasser keg ...
set up in a wee shed....

Postby woodduck » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:27 pm

G'day and welcome jamboz,

One way you could go is a modular pot still from 5 star or build a pot that is modular so that you can get going making some whiskeys with your pot while you build the rest of your bubbler. If you go the modular pot with a shotgun condencer all those parts will be used on your bubbler so you are half way there :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Goodluck mate.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:07 pm

woodduck wrote:G'day and welcome jamboz,

One way you could go is a modular pot still from 5 star or build a pot that is modular so that you can get going making some whiskeys with your pot while you build the rest of your bubbler. If you go the modular pot with a shotgun condencer all those parts will be used on your bubbler so you are half way there :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Goodluck mate.

:text-+1: you can scratch the itch and get some hooch ageing
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby jamboz » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:07 pm

Ok, thanks guys, modular seems to be the consensus of opinion and gives you options.

Cool, more reading. I'll keep you all updated to any progress when/if I commence building.

Thanks for all your advice and input.

Cheers, and be excellent to each other.

jamboz
jamboz

Postby Bushy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:50 am

Hey there Scotty,
Ya might as well set the bar high mate. Bubblers are the go.
Gas, however, is not the go. The slightest loss of attention and ya got rocket fuel dribblin around an open flame. A weldless element is cheap and easy to fit.
So welcome to ya and,imho, fuck gas.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Return to Welcome Centre