Hello from Adelaide

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hello from Adelaide

Postby Triangle » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:23 pm

Hi all,

After years of talking about it, decided to put my first ferment together (loquats). Huge tree in the back yard and seems to go to waste as no one can possibly eat them all, jams and pies only go so far!

Both family overseas and grandparents used to make their own mostly from plum or grapes and my late grandfather's still is lying around his shed so I might as well keep the tradition. I think it is a reflux still but I'm going to have to dig it out and give it a good clean and learn to use it. While I'm at it I might do a quince one as well.

Was overseas earlier this year and had quite a bit of brandies from plum, quince, apricot and pear, some home made from people in my dad's village. Surprised how smooth they were and how the quince/pear brandies were quite noticable in flavour as opposed to the plum which I was most accustomed to. Most of the 'old school' stuff I've had here burned my throat out haha.

Studied oenology a while back, was pretty keen but with work and family was impossible to finish. Unfortunately never got to the practical side of making anything and having a look around here made me realise how much I have forgotten about the theory!!! I'm a sparky by trade so I can answer those questions but not much good with anything else just yet.
Triangle

equipment: To be anounced!

Re: Hello from Adelaide

Postby Meatheadinc » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:43 pm

Hi Mate

Post a pic of your rig , someone will know what it is and be able to give tips on how to run it correctly.
heaps of info on the site for those who are willing to read.

it would be worth while reading recipes in the tried and proven sec before you experiment with your brandy as it will help you develop a balanced wash
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Postby Triangle » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:50 pm

Thanks mate, yeah I've got a bit ahead of myself with the wash! Reading through it now but seems to be so much variation.

I'll have to pick the still up, will post up when it's dusted off.
Triangle

Postby 1 2many » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:18 pm

Welcome TGS great to have you here. :greetings-waveyellow:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby bt1 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:10 am

Welcome bloke,

Just to point out the obvious with Loquats. NEVER include the seeds...bloody dangerous little buggas and the fruit is very high in pectin.

As you'd know from the oenology game large amounts of pectin has the potential to produce more methanol. A good throw out of the first 800ml on a 50lt boil would be my advice.

If you need a hand finding stuff in Adelaide sing out ...

Enjoy the learning curve.
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Triangle » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:13 am

Hi mate, yeah I removed the seeds. I've used them for jams etc and did a bit of research and found the seeds were an issue. Interesting that some people try to sell them off as alternative medicine!

....and the bloody pectin, early jams were rock hard.

I just thought I'd start off in the deep end and now need some saving lol.
Triangle

Postby Andy » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:14 pm

welcome mate.
once you dig out the still post a pic and hopefully we can let you know how best to run it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Triangle » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:48 pm

Thanks all for the replies. Learned a heap just reading through the site as much as I can.

Here's my post with the still I just picked up.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7339
Triangle

Return to Welcome Centre