Hi From Midwest WA

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi From Midwest WA

Postby Forrest » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:18 pm

Hello everyone,

I've been enjoying this site being relatively new to stilling so been trying to soak up as much info as I can.

I've been stilling with my father for the past few years on and off but just recently inherited his still as he hasn't had time for it lately.

The still is a 50L SS keg reflux and has a large condenser made from a fire extinguisher.

So far I've been just making neutrals and flavouring with essences which has had mixed results but have found a few I am happy with :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I bought a bulk buy pack of Still Spirits yeasts and clears before I found out about TPW from this site :angry-banghead: So looks like I'll just work through that and practice techniques until I run out. Then I can start running some real wash's :happy-partydance:

I've been really enjoying this as a personal project (not to mention the booze :dance: ) and look forward to advancing my final product and systems :-D
Forrest

equipment: Keg still with fire extinguisher condenser.

Re: Hi From Midwest WA

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:21 pm

Sounds like a bit of a rig mate, love to see a pic!

Welcome :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby benpandaae86 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:30 pm

Welcome mate
benpandaae86

equipment: 50l keg boiler 3600w element power controler
Reflux with extension tower with adaptor for keg
2" SS pot still modified leibig condenser
next mission building the next one (probably a 4" bubbler)

Postby 1 2many » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:35 pm

Welcome aboard Forrest, enjoy. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Forrest » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:45 pm

Thanks guys. Away working at the moment but will take a few setup photos once I get back.

Also need to work out why one of my wash's has apparently failed while I was gone :think:
Forrest

Postby MacStill » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:56 pm

Welcome aboard :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Interested to see the fire extinguisher rig :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Whiskyaugogo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:12 pm

Welcome mate :greetings-waveyellow:
Whiskyaugogo
Site Donor

equipment: To be updated

Postby Forrest » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:45 pm

So here is the setup in all it's gory :-D

Forrest

Postby MacStill » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:01 pm

Hi Forrest,

You're probably not going to like a lot about what you're going to hear on this site about your still, there are quite a few issues that need addressing.

What are you sealing the column to the keg with ?

What's the gasket at the top of the column made from ?

Is there any copper in the vapour/distillate path ?

you need to move your collection point well away from the gas burner, and also change the plastic distillate output line to copper or stainless.

Cheers,

Mac.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Forrest » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:09 pm

Haha yeh probably not Mac she is a piece of work and this site seems to contain a lot of purists ;-)

Like I said previously this was inherited from my father and has seen over 10 years of service with countless runs but I'm happy with the results I get. That said I'm always happy to make improvements :-D

As to answer your questions The keg is sealed to the column with a piece of Purosil silicone hose which is rated to 180c and more than meets pressure requirements.

There is no gasket at the top of the column it is sealed by an o-ring.

There is no copper currently in the vapour path but I was thinking of change that in the future :-D

I will extend the hose to move the collection point further as I plan on trying to make cuts next run. I didn't bother making proper cuts last one as I wasn't sure about one of the wash's so it wouldn't be a good comparison. I just took off the fores, collect heads and hearts and stored the tails for the next run and double carbon filter the bulk collection. This is what I normally do as it's cheap, easy and gets me some pretty good results :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'm not really phased by the plastic outlet pipe. The way I see it if it's good enough to use in a ICP analytical machine then it's good enough for use on my home still :-D
Forrest

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:20 pm

Your views on using plastic and rubber in stills is going to have to change if you want to hang around here ;-)

We're not 'purists', I'm not really sure what you are trying to get at there. We're just advocates for safe distilling practices and quality product, two things that I can't see your little still being in line with.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:49 pm

Sigh! :angry-banghead:

Go for gold Forrest, I'm sure you make a fine sulphur, rubber & plastic infused swill, but I'm not going to allow you to promote what you're doing as safe on this forum.

You also mentioned pressure :roll:

You can take our advice or leave it, we generally try to help those prepared to listen ;-)

Mac.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Forrest » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:38 pm

I'm not trying to get at anything Zak there is nothing wrong with being a purist in fact I commend it, but just because something isn't done the way it's always been done doesn't make it wrong.

Mac any surphites or impurities will be removed by means of carbon filtering the same method we use in laboratories.

Well the boiler and column isn't at vacuum or atmosphere therefore it is at pressure ;-)

I have taken advice from this forum Mac, I have also taken advice from a chemist/metallurgist ;-)

Just because I don't take on all advise that you hand out does not mean I don't listen. I like to listen to multiple parties and then make my own mind up rather than have it made up for me.

I thought this was a friendly accepting forum for all Australians interested in the art of stilling on all levels but it seems to me that the moment your setup does not meet your criteria they are shunned?

Anyway I just wanted to share my setup as a few people were interested in seeing the condenser but if this is the way people are treated here then maybe it'd be best I find an alternative forum.
Forrest

Postby choppy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:44 pm

You should hang around Forrest, take on what you want and disregard what you want. It's a personal choice.

There is lots of good advice and ideas on this forum.

Sure, some people on here need to work on their delivery, but it's the message that matters - not how it's delivered.
choppy

equipment: PD reflux still
home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:05 pm

I'm sure the yanks would love to see your rig mate, they might be more 'accepting' than us. Then again; maybe not?

The advice we give is for no reason other than to help out...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby woodduck » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:23 pm

Hey forrest,

Firstly welcome to the forum :greetings-waveyellow:

Mate try not to take it all personally. What these blokes are trying to get at is the promotion of safety in home distillation. There are heaps of different stills around the forum but we all try to make them as safe as possible. There's no point arguing whether some of these materials are safe or not, the forum has it's view on plastics etc and no one will change that.

For this forum to remain successful and open it needs to be seen to educate people to do this hobby in the safest possible way.

Anyway good luck with your still and i hope it all goes well for you :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Forrest » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:20 pm

I did not bring up the use of plastics and I understand the risks. I'm not here to promote the use of plastics I have my educated reasons for using it others have theirs.

Zak and Mac it was you who first asked to see my rig I had no intentions on showing it otherwise and now this is how you respond?

If I had 2k to drop down at 5star on a you beaut still I would but my situation doesn't allow that.

I'm making do with what I'm given and hoping to build on that.

Thanks Choppy and Woodduck for your positive responses I really was looking forward to joining this forum and community as it seemed to have a lot of useful information and knowledge. It's nice to know their are at least a few realistic people here :-D
Forrest

Postby MacStill » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:32 pm

Forrest if you just calmed down a bit you'd see I was asking questions so I could help you improve your rig, but you have all the answers so I'll leave you with it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

One thing I will point out though is that if your still isn't open to the atmosphere at some point you will have pressure, alcohol + heat + pressure = BOMB

I am not interested in selling you my stills, that's not what the intention of my initial post was, but it would be irresponsible of me not to point out the dangers I see with your rig, and this I will continue to do regardless of what you tell me you know.

You can argue all you like about what some chemist or metallurgist has said until the cows come home, this forum (and others) take a dim view on the use of plastics and that's that.

Keep goading me and the mods mate, it only takes one click to fix this bullshit :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Forrest » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:47 pm

Mac I'm as cool as a cucumber mate 8-)

Did you write answers to my responses? I don't recall any?

Lets forget about the plastic and as far as you know it's metal all round baby ;-)

I'm not goading anyone and that isn't my intention Mac, I know how easy it is to make me go away.

I just came here for a few helpful tips and some inspiration :-D
Forrest

Postby Sam. » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:54 pm

Forrest wrote:Did you write answers to my responses? I don't recall any?

I'm not goading anyone and that isn't my intention Mac

From here it looks like you are. Final warning bud.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Welcome Centre