Hi, from Perth

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi, from Perth

Postby valkorum » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:04 pm

I'm from Perth, enjoy long drinks on the beach.... oh wait, wrong site.

I am a newbie at distilling but really really enjoy making my own spirits. I currently have a 30 litre home spirit maker copper still. I am just starting to understand different aspects of distilling (going to try my first strip run shortly).

I am in the process of building a new shed with a designated spot for distilling. There is a lot of information/techniques to learn so please forgive me if I am a little slow on the uptake.

My first question is....

Is there any point in me trying a nutri-grain wash through my pot still? I am assuming that I would lose all the flavours during the distilling process. As I understand the flavour would get "stripped out" during the distilling. I would be better off using the tomato paste recipe.
valkorum

equipment: 5 Star 4" Pot. Still need to find funds to buy bubble plates

Re: Hi, from Perth

Postby 1 2many » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:44 pm

Welcome aboard mate, plenty to learn here. A pot still is the go for the nutragrain wash mate, the pot will carry over the flavour. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby woodduck » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:49 pm

G'day volkorum, welcome :wave:

I think the nutrigrain wash would be perfect for a pot still. When people talk about strip runs this is for double distlling, which is nessesary for pot stills. Strip several washes down to 20% then put them all together then do a spirit run. This is something you will have to research a bit more to fully understand so my suggestion is to do some reading in the newbies section then it will all become clear.

Good luck with your new endeavors.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby MacStill » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:05 pm

Another Perthian, welcome aboard valkorum :greetings-waveyellow:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Whiskyaugogo » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:10 pm

So many WA'ers, :handgestures-thumbupleft: :laughing-rolling:

Welcome aboard mate!! :greetings-waveyellow:
Whiskyaugogo
Site Donor

equipment: To be updated

Postby valkorum » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:35 pm

woodduck wrote:G'day volkorum, welcome :wave:

I think the nutrigrain wash would be perfect for a pot still. When people talk about strip runs this is for double distlling, which is nessesary for pot stills. Strip several washes down to 20% then put them all together then do a spirit run. This is something you will have to research a bit more to fully understand so my suggestion is to do some reading in the newbies section then it will all become clear.

Good luck with your new endeavors.

As I understand it.... I can do multiple strip runs and then use the combined to do a spirit run (all in my reflux still). Even though this isn't "necessary", but it should give me a better quality neutral run?

And thanks for all the kind welcome messages.
valkorum

Postby benpandaae86 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:40 pm

Welcome mate

A pot and a reflux are different types of still put a pic of your still

Do several strip runs (enough to fill the boiler with 40% low wines)
and then a spirit run still through the pot just nice and slow take plenty of cuts and enjoy
benpandaae86

equipment: 50l keg boiler 3600w element power controler
Reflux with extension tower with adaptor for keg
2" SS pot still modified leibig condenser
next mission building the next one (probably a 4" bubbler)

Postby 1 2many » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:40 pm

Are you trying to make a whisky or a neutral, I thought you wanted to retain flavors. :-B
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby valkorum » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:24 pm

1 2many wrote:Are you trying to make a whisky or a neutral, I thought you wanted to retain flavors. :-B

Just to be clear:

I have a reflux still
I am assuming that I can only make neutral alcohol, therefore running a Nutri-grain wash through my still is a waste of time.

If I do multiple strip runs, then combine them all to do a spirit run... then I will get a better quality of alcohol.
valkorum

Postby Redux » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:28 pm

valkorum wrote:I am assuming that I can only make neutral alcohol, therefore running a Nutri-grain wash through my still is a waste of time.

tpw or weetbix wash.... even as a neutral... they are very different drinks..

mmmmmm neutralized WB wash.... yummo!!
Redux

equipment: 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on a 50lt gasser keg ...
set up in a wee shed....

Postby valkorum » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:51 pm

Redux wrote:tpw or weetbix wash.... even as a neutral... they are very different drinks..

mmmmmm neutralized WB wash.... yummo!!

I just made up a TPW, so now have to wait for that to ferment. Was going to strip run a few of these and do a combined spirit run. I only have 1 fermenting bottle but I have 2 x 10L glass bottles to store the "strip" runs in.
valkorum

Postby Redux » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:57 pm

valkorum wrote:I just made up a TPW, so now have to wait for that to ferment. Was going to strip run a few of these and do a combined spirit run. I only have 1 fermenting bottle but I have 2 x 10L glass bottles to store the "strip" runs in.

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

you cant go past tpw for an awesome neutral... just remember that not all neutrals are equal.... as time goes on try a few of the other washes, i was amazed by the difference in products (all neutrals)

the best booze i ever made was a double distilled tpw..... it wa so good that my current wash load is all tpw to be pot stripped then run through the neutralizer.... hopefully this will give me my next 'best booze'

:))
Last edited by 1 2many on Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote
Redux

set up in a wee shed....

Postby valkorum » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:02 pm

Cheers @redux

My neighbour is currently building a pot still so I have bought his "old" reflux still. He is currently running up some Nutri-Grain washes while I am gonna start playing with some TPW's. I have always been happy with the neutral from a turbo wash (mixed with Jack Daniels chips), but I am just a bogan from Perth.
valkorum

Postby Redux » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:04 pm

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

you will love tpw if turbo was ok to drink!!
plus tpw dosent need filtering...
Redux

set up in a wee shed....

Postby valkorum » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:16 pm

Redux wrote::laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

you will love tpw if turbo was ok to drink!!
plus tpw dosent need filtering...

Will it be "slightly" better if I filter it? (seeing as I have the filter lying around)
valkorum

Postby Redux » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:18 pm

valkorum wrote:
Will it be "slightly" better if I filer it? (seeing as I have the filter lying around)

i guess so.... ive got no experience... ive never needed to filter any booze..... ( but ive drunk some rough shine in my time!)

:D :D
Redux

set up in a wee shed....

Postby valkorum » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:43 pm

I just worked out where all the confusion came from - I said pot still (when I really meant reflux)
valkorum

Postby Heef71 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:11 pm

Hey Valkomrum,

Either one will be better than the hbs stuff. Everyone on this site will vouch for it. Just give them a go and see which one you like best.
But as mentioned above double distiling ( stripping with a pot, then use your low wines for a spirit run thru the reflux) will give you the cleanest neutral.

Good luck and welcome!!
Heef71

equipment: 4" 5 plate glass modular bubbler with packed section on a keg with 2 x 2400W elements & power controller. Started with a T500 and made some mod's and added a 2nd lid with a copper pot head.

Postby Urrazeb » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:38 pm

valkorum wrote:I just worked out where all the confusion came from - I said pot still (when I really meant reflux)

Hi valkorum, welcome.

I don't know much about the Pure distilling spirit maker but I do believe it is a reflux that cannot be detuned (please chime in if incorrect) so therefore cannot do stripping runs.

The weetbix wash is my favourite neutral recipe and produces a nice neutral.

As for whiskey and bourbons you won't be able to make these in your rig AFAIK. A rum wash will come out nice however
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby valkorum » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:38 am

Urrazeb wrote:
valkorum wrote:I just worked out where all the confusion came from - I said pot still (when I really meant reflux)

Hi valkorum, welcome.

I don't know much about the Pure distilling spirit maker but I do believe it is a reflux that cannot be detuned (please chime in if incorrect) so therefore cannot do stripping runs.

The weetbix wash is my favourite neutral recipe and produces a nice neutral.

As for whiskey and bourbons you won't be able to make these in your rig AFAIK. A rum wash will come out nice however

Even if I cant take out the scrubbers I am led to believe I can still do a strip run - it will just take longer. Please correct me if I am wrong.
valkorum

Next

Return to Welcome Centre