G'day from Gippy

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day from Gippy

Postby MickC » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:48 am

G'day been lurking around the shop and thought I'd better join up and say hello.I live in sunny Gippsland and a keen fisherman, my preferred tipple atm is Vodka so will be looking to make a good neutral to start with.

I've done a little home brewing before and done a few runs(using the turbo stuff) with a little 5lt reflux still (the kind you get from a brew shop) but still have plenty to learn and thought this would be the best place to get edjumacated.

I'll try and make sure I use the search function before I post any questions but will apologise now for any questions that I ask that may seem stupid. I'm in the process of trying to get my head around building a Boka still so hope I dont ask to many questions that have already been answered a hundred times.

regards Mick
MickC

equipment: The little 5lt ones you get from a home brew shop :(

Just built a 3" Boka :)

Re: G'day from Gippy

Postby unsub » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:56 am

Welcome mate, good to see another Gippslander on here. If you need a hand with anything let me know, I might even have some bit's and pieces I don't use anymore to help you out.

cheers
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:58 am

Welcome mate.

Plenty of good Boka builds in the Reflux Still section that you should look at. You probably want 3" instead of 2", if possible ;-)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Sam. » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:24 am

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Get your boka sorted and you will be pumping out the good stuff in no time :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby RefluxEd » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:25 am

Hi Mick,
Welcome. By the way, would you be the Mick that knows Bob & Jo?
RefluxEd

equipment: 2 inch BOKA/LM/VM over 8 4x3x4 inch bubble plates + 1 bubble plate under a 4 inch section under the dephlagmator (RC).
2 inch Pot still.
2 inch to 4 inch Gin head.
2x 1.2 mtre Leibig condensors.
2 inch x 800 mm shotgun condenser.

Postby MickC » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:55 pm

Thanks fellas for the warm welcome

unsub wrote:Welcome mate, good to see another Gippslander on here. If you need a hand with anything let me know, I might even have some bit's and pieces I don't use anymore to help you out.

cheers

Thanks mate any help would be gratefully appreciated. I live near the Valley (Latrobe Valley)

Zak Griffin wrote:Welcome mate.

Plenty of good Boka builds in the Reflux Still section that you should look at. You probably want 3" instead of 2", if possible ;-)

Funny you should say that I have been leaning towards a 2" but have read that a 3" has more advantages but am having difficulty sourcing either 2" or 3" pipe. Cant find anyone that is willing to sell me anything but 6m lengths but I'll keep looking.

Sam. wrote:Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Get your boka sorted and you will be pumping out the good stuff in no time :D

Yep it's on my to do list as the little still I purchased initially from what I've read so far doesn't perform to the same level as a good boka

RefluxEd wrote:Hi Mick,
Welcome. By the way, would you be the Mick that knows Bob & Jo?

Hey mate , cant say that I do know a Bob or Jo

regards Mick
MickC

Postby unsub » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:20 pm

Thanks mate any help would be gratefully appreciated. I live near the Valley (Latrobe Valley)

I live in the Valley, kind of in the middle of it :smile: I have a 2" boka I don't use that you can have cheap to practice with but I would also recommend a 3" because it's a bloody long day watching that drip, drip ,drip from a 2".
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby MickC » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:25 pm

unsub wrote:

I live in the Valley, kind of in the middle of it :smile: I have a 2" boka I don't use that you can have cheap to practice with but I would also recommend a 3" because it's a bloody long day watching that drip, drip ,drip from a 2".

That saying about it being a small world comes to mind..........excellent stuff I'll send you a p.m with my phone number.

regards mick
MickC

Postby Andy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:11 pm

welcome!
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby 1 2many » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:31 pm

G'day mate welcome to the forum, enjoy the journey :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Return to Welcome Centre