Greetings from Radelaide

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Greetings from Radelaide

Postby foreverlearning » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:15 pm

Greetings from Adelaide,
After many years watching the price of my relaxation vices rise and feeling :angry-banghead: I read in the news not long ago that the government's adding $20 for a 700ml bottle of spirits and over $15 per case of beer :shock: That was the final straw. I started looking into distilling but the expense of pre-made kits has so far been my major obstacle. All the plans I find whilst I don't imagine them requiring a rocket scientist, do seem to assume a certain level of handiness. I don't want to attempt to make my own and purchase parts, etc without a fairly good idea of what I'm doing.
Stumbled across this site last night and here I be. I'm hoping someone can point me to an ELI5 for and idiot proof affordable (read cheap) distillation.
foreverlearning

equipment: looking to get started so can I fill this in later?

Re: Greetings from Radelaide

Postby 1 2many » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:34 pm

Hi mate and welcome to the forum, unfortunately there is no ELI5 shortcuts that would be too easy.

Can I suggest you take your time and have a good read through the beginners section to get started. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by 1 2many on Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:36 pm

Welcome mate, good to see another South Aussie here!

What do you like to drink? This will determine what still you need to build :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Sam. » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:59 pm

Howdy mate, there are minimum shortcuts in this hobby if you want to produce good spirit, but when you get it right it is worth the effort and patience :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby foreverlearning » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:55 pm

Thanks for the replies. The pre-made stuff is expensive (the stuff I've seen anyway) and the plans to build your own are a little daunting to a newbie. I'm a bit worried about buying the wrong parts and/or doing the wrong thing which destroys any time and money I've put into it. With homebrew, setting up is cheap and throwing away a batch isn't so heartbreaking. With the costs involved in setting up a still, messing up would hurt.

I like to mix up what I drink btw. Gin one week, vodka the next, brandy sometimes, whiskey, bourbon, or whatever.
foreverlearning

Postby bt1 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:59 am

Welcome bloke,

Not wanting to spend a fortune is a fairly common view and makes good sense. Your drink prefs are varied and require a still with flexibility of setup, modular would be the go it adds minor complexity and a little cost.
If around $500 sounds doable then you might want to look at a modular glass bubbler still. Simple to make, reduced soldering effort, great quality results.
Have a look see around at some of the glass bubblers that have been built for more info.

At around that price it's recoverable in around a year for the average drinker. As to parts to buy and things to look for etc there's enough of us in Adelaide that have built them and all you need do is ask...once you've got a game plan in place.

Sing out if you need a hand

all the best
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Teddysad » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:10 am

Your other option is to go to Ebay for a second hand unit as a starter to learn on.

Then when you are ready to upgrade (you most likely will) flick it off again
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby Sam. » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:42 am

Teddysad wrote:Your other option is to go to Ebay for a second hand unit as a starter to learn on.

Then when you are ready to upgrade (you most likely will) flick it off again

Just beware some of the shit on eBay, there are some terrible units out there x_x
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby foreverlearning » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:42 pm

Thanks guys.
foreverlearning

Postby Saltbush Nomad » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:27 pm

Welcome aboard mate.... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Saltbush Nomad

equipment: 50ltr Stainless Keg
2 Ring Gas Burner
Custom Copper Reflux Still

Postby aussiemoonshiner » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:05 pm

Check beer belly out
aussiemoonshiner

equipment: pot still 30 litre, 50litre keg, 2'boka jayD