Needle Valve Size for RC

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Re: Needle Valve Size for RC

Postby Hardie355 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:03 pm

A gate valve is piss easy to control and cheap, i know on my bubbler after full reflux i just close it all the way till i get product then crack it a quarter turn should start seein drops after it settles then adjust speed from there.(depending on the rc it can take a while to respond) mind you im on recirc so the pressure is constant but i do adjust slightly through the run as the water heats up normally only a fraction of a turn.
3 runs in you'll be all over it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Hardie355

equipment: 3" boka and 2" pot still
4" 4 plate glasser with 2.5" 9 tube shotty

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:22 pm

Another option is like Peterpan's set up,covers all options well.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Lowie » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:25 pm

Gate and needle valves are totally different pieces of kit. For our hobby, we need needle vales for greater control. Here's what I bought: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DN15-1-2-Hig ... 2ede791f6f
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby andybear » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:25 pm

I use a 1/2" needle valve too but because I use tap water it is too big. Especially during winter with the fridgid temps coming out atm a 1/16 turn will go from full reflux to no reflux at all. I'm definitely going to get a smaller one eventually.
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby Professor Green » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:10 pm

Bunnings call their globe valves stop cocks. They have them in the same section as the gate valves.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Professor Green » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:16 pm

Borneogoat wrote:Is this the type of globe valve we're talking about:

RS Pro Stainless Steel Globe Valve, 3/4 in BSP 32 bar
http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/globe-valves/4992565/

Looks right to me.

A brass one from Bunnings will be much cheaper though.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby warramungas » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:11 am

Not sure id want a brass globe valve looking at it. Stainless would be ok though.
Ever had a dripping tap that just keeps getting worse no matter how many times you change the washers? That's because the restricted high pressure water is chewing away the brass slowly. I know I had to reseat every tap in the walls of my house with stainless seats because they all got chewed out. Been fine ever since.
Generally we run our valves fairly restricted so Id be looking at something in stainless for longevity.

Personally I run a 1/2" stainless ball valve on my PC and a 1/2" needle valve on my RC. The valve for the PC is only there to restrict flow a bit sometimes when I need a bit more pressure to feed the RC or sometimes the PC robs too much flow.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby warramungas » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:26 am

My needle valve is a kick a** industrial one I scavenged from a salvage yard at work which I'm guessing was worth a few bucks in its day but if I needed a new one I'd be inclined to get a 90 degree one like the one below.

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/BSP-1-2-Femal ... nav=SEARCH
warramungas

30 liter boiler
PDA-1

Postby Borneogoat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:30 am

I've decided to spring for a needle valve. Seems the most common solution, so I'll gamble on that fixing my issue. I'll update with my results, after my next batch....
Borneogoat

equipment: 5-Star Neutralizer and a high mileage Heavy Duty Liver

Postby bluc » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:25 pm

warramungas wrote:My needle valve is a kick a** industrial one I scavenged from a salvage yard at work which I'm guessing was worth a few bucks in its day but if I needed a new one I'd be inclined to get a 90 degree one like the one below.

I grabbed one of these when you posted this. Turned up today looks like decent quality fairly weighty etc even though not sure what to look for quality wise.. Slowly getting organised and will hopefully get my build done before christmas.. :-B :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Borneogoat » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:25 pm

1/2" needle valve worked for me. Much better control than the gate valve! :handgestures-thumbupleft: First run with gate valve was a bit of a cluster-fudge, but second run with needle valve was almost spot on.

I got mine here. Might be cheaper elsewhere, but built like a tank and works...
https://www.valvesonline.com.au/stainless-steel-needle-valve
Borneogoat

equipment: 5-Star Neutralizer and a high mileage Heavy Duty Liver

Postby PeterC » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:16 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby dkr059 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:04 am

Hi
I have two of these
Capture.PNG

adjustable panel flow meter $30 on ebay check the flows are 15lpm or better
1 for the flegm & 1 for the condenser
they work good
D.K.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dkr059

equipment: 50l 5pl 4'Bubbler few configurations

Postby bluc » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:13 pm

bluc wrote:
warramungas wrote:My needle valve is a kick a** industrial one I scavenged from a salvage yard at work which I'm guessing was worth a few bucks in its day but if I needed a new one I'd be inclined to get a 90 degree one like the one below.

I grabbed one of these when you posted this. Turned up today looks like decent quality fairly weighty etc even though not sure what to look for quality wise.. Slowly getting organised and will hopefully get my build done before christmas.. :-B :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So bareley 6m down the track and my valve leaks when fully closed from a pissy aquarium pump... :angry-banghead:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Sam. » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:36 pm

bluc wrote:
bluc wrote:

So bareley 6m down the track and my valve leaks when fully closed from a pissy aquarium pump... :angry-banghead:

Just buy a ball valve from an AG shop or bunno's and be done, the poor man buys twice as they say.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby bluc » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:10 pm

Ball valves do the job? I thought a needle valve was needed :laughing-rolling:
Ball valve or gate valve?
Last edited by bluc on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby woodduck » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:42 pm

I use a gate valve I find it a little easier for fine adjustments
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Sam. » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:22 pm

bluc wrote:Ball valves do the job? I thought a needle valve was needed :laughing-rolling:
Ball valve or gate valve?

Ah, skim reading again, had drainage in my head, I assume your talking RC input?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby warramungas » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:04 am

Have you opened up the valve and checked inside? The top may just need to be tightened a poofteenth.
Don't know what internals yours has.
warramungas

30 liter boiler
PDA-1

Postby dkr059 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:27 am

Hi.
if anyone still interested I use two of these flow meters flow meters from ebay @ around $20, Panel Flow Meter 15 L p/m capacity, they are adjusted with inbuilt 1/2 inch needle valves. Full reflux is easy to achieve with a ozito submersable pump they are pretty accurate you can pretty much duplicate cooling on all runs by reading the flows.
FM.PNG
dkr059

equipment: 50l 5pl 4'Bubbler few configurations

PreviousNext

Return to Distillers Warehouse