Price of retail copper - Brisbane

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Price of retail copper - Brisbane

Postby db1979 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:53 pm

I've commented a couple of times lately about the cost of 2" copper from plumbing supplies and about the high prices at Reece and tradelink. I decided to ring up tradelink at capalaba today and enquire, they quoted me $63.02 per meter :shock:

I've been meaning to ring other independent places too but silly me chose Friday afternoon to do that 8-}

Anyway, I'll give it another go on Monday and share what I find. If anyone has recently visited other mobs around brissie please share the prices you paid (even if it wasn't 2" copper).

I chose to ask for a price for 2" because I know bigger sizes won't be sold in shorter than 6 m lengths.

Also, I know that scrappies are a far more economical way to go but it's not always a certainty and I don't think I'd have much luck getting to walk around a scrap metal yard in my teacher clothes. :violence-smack:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Re: Price of retail copper - Brisbane

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:00 pm

Check the scrappies
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Sam. » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:02 pm

Know any plumbers?

You will find the price they get it for is a shit load cheaper than you will get quoted. I have also had Reece cut me a meter of 3 inch :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby db1979 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:15 pm

Although I will want some 2" in future, I'm not looking for some just at the moment (but if anyway in Brisbane has some spare at a good price I'll take it). I decided to start researching this because of the posts I'd made on other threads and so I could point someone in my area to a cheaper source of copper.

Unfortunately I don't know any plumbers... But my girlfriend has a friend of a friend :think:

Anyway, like I said, this thread is less about my needs and more about others.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby bluc » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:28 pm

Scrappie here in gympie no good looking for 1m 4" be interested in hearing prices. The plumbing shops all give me "the look" when i go in buying anything. :laughing-rolling:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Dig Brinker » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:48 am

Try wearing normal person clothes (as opposed to leather elbow teachers clothes) to the scrappies... and ask for offcuts instead of per metre. Quite often they will have a damaged end (a bottle may help this damage if you know what I mean) and will be willing to sell less than 6 metre lengths at a time.
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby Dig Brinker » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:50 am

Bluc I got some 4" if you want to pay shipping, I'm in vic :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Dig Brinker

Postby copperhead road » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:35 am

db1979 wrote:
I chose to ask for a price for 2" because I know bigger sizes won't be sold in shorter than 6 m lengths.

. :violence-smack:

I know the Reece in the industrial area at Woolangabba off Deshon st (behind wicked vans) cuts any length all the way up to 8"
(Not the Reece on Wellington rd Woolangabba)
from memory 6" is 390 a meter, I did not ask or buy any 2" and 4" :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby db1979 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:12 am

Dig Brinker wrote:Try wearing normal person clothes (as opposed to leather elbow teachers clothes) to the scrappies... and ask for offcuts instead of per metre. Quite often they will have a damaged end (a bottle may help this damage if you know what I mean) and will be willing to sell less than 6 metre lengths at a time.

I've heard stories that scrappers round here don't accept public on site unless they're wearing high vis and steel caps. Could be wrong.

I've asked for offcuts at plumbing supplies before and the same answer each time "we don't have offcuts" because they sell whole lengths only. Hence only interested in price of 2" at the moment.

I'm happy to give a bottle of my spirits to a friend but I'm not about to use it as currency or to sweeten a deal. I don't think it helps our hobby in the long run if we wish it to be legalised.
db1979

Postby db1979 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:14 am

copperhead road wrote:I know the Reece in the industrial area at Woolangabba off Deshon st (behind wicked vans) cuts any length all the way up to 8"
(Not the Reece on Wellington rd Woolangabba)
from memory 6" is 390 a meter, I did not ask or buy any 2" and 4" :handgestures-thumbupleft:

That's handy to know :handgestures-thumbupleft: still very expensive though. Must be that they do a lot of trade in copper and know that they'll sell the shorter lengths quickly.
db1979

Postby bluc » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:48 am

Cant look round in our scrap yard anymore(someone was hurt and sued) he said they sometimes get copper but normally ships out pretty fast..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby coffe addict » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:38 am

United scrap metal dealers lytton rd murarie. Regularly have upto 6in they don't hold it. Regular afternoon visits will see you with enough copper for 4in bubbler with packed section at around $200.
Only took three visits for all the copper I needed
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby copperhead road » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:53 am

Scott's scrap metal ask for an ABN or BUSINESS number, however I was selling not buying
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:39 pm

coffe addict wrote:United scrap metal dealers lytton rd murarie. Regularly have upto 6in they don't hold it. Regular afternoon visits will see you with enough copper for 4in bubbler with packed section at around $200.
Only took three visits for all the copper I needed

Be careful what you put on internet a large company near there decided they would not allow scrap after someone scraped something of real value .
wynnum1

Postby orcy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:33 pm

Dig Brinker wrote:Bluc I got some 4" if you want to pay shipping, I'm in vic :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I dont suppose you still have any 4 inch Dig? i'm in seaford, looking for a metre to get me started on my 4 inch bubbler.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby db1979 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:08 pm

Took me a bit longer to get round to it but here's some more.

Swan plumbing at capalaba doesn't cut 2" but only sell in 6 m lengths for $150. I didn't find out if that was including gst.

BP plumbing supplies at Beenleigh sell it at $26 per metre plus gst.

Also rang Reece at capalaba, $66.50 per metre including gst.
db1979

Postby texta » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:21 pm

hope he never got it wrong but samios in toowoomba quoted me over the phone $45 per mt for 2" and about $7 odd for 90 degree bends .
may depend when they buy it i suppose , copper price changes almost daily same as brass and gold and oil .
texta

equipment: non at all

Postby Dig Brinker » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:18 am

orcy wrote:
Dig Brinker wrote:Bluc I got some 4" if you want to pay shipping, I'm in vic :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I dont suppose you still have any 4 inch Dig? i'm in seaford, looking for a metre to get me started on my 4 inch bubbler.

Hey O, I'm just down the road from you, but think I only have a couple of sections about 150mm tall. Ok if you wanna go modular.
Getting a quote for bluc tomorrow, if it's gonna be prohibitive then I'll keep you in mind.
Dig Brinker

Postby orcy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:05 pm

Cheers. Eventually ill crack and just go to tradelink. If your using auspost, use 3 or 5kg prepaid satchels. 13 and 18 dollars each australia wide.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby Dig Brinker » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:22 pm

Probably closer to 10kg...
Dig Brinker

Next

Return to Distillers Warehouse