SIMS metal no longer resell copper

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

SIMS metal no longer resell copper

Postby orcy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:46 pm

Was down at SIMS on seaford today dropping off some car batteries. They had some nice pieces of 2 and 4 inch on the bin. Asked old mate what the deal was if i wanted a couple of short pieces, and apparently they can no longer let ANYTHING leave the factory. Some numbnuts failed to tie in a load of steel and caused an accident, and since he bought it at SIMS, vicroads fined them 250k for failing to ensure he was tied on correctly. I made some sad faces, but he was unmoved and i left with just the 15 bucks for the batteries i dropped in
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Re: SIMS metal no longer resell copper

Postby coffe addict » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:39 pm

I'd have taken the batteries elsewhere on principal. We sure are living in a nanny country, gone are the days where idiots were held responsible for their actions!
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby orcy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:47 pm

Ive noticed a lot more businesses posting that they wont let you leave if you are overloaded or not tied off correctly. Apparently vicroads are getting really nasty about loads. I still dont understand how its the companies fault how their customers behave. Certainly bunnings dont give a shit how overloaded you are. Ita definitely a strange world we live in now.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore

Postby Minpac » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:48 pm

It comes down to a thing called chain of responsibility - though I thought it only applied to heavy vehicles. Maybe the guy who loaded up was in a small truck instead of a ute. If they helped load or knew he loaded in excess of road width/height standards, then they'd be partially liable.
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby Minpac » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:52 pm

Did a bit of digging and found an article. Looks like an unsecured load exceeded the height of the M5 east tunnel and struck a bunch of services with some serious steel beams. Sims basically failed to have procedures for loading at a site other than their own, and paid a $3K fine, 40K lawyers costs and a $50k of a damage bill. The actual loading party paid more.

https://www.holdingredlich.com/transpor ... gle-breach
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby orcy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:01 pm

interesting read there. and all that means that I am no longer allowed to put 400mm of 4 inch copper in the back of my SUV :(

I didnt realise it only applied to heavy vehicles either. i guess thats where bunnings gets away with it.
orcy

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:38 pm

I think they are telling you a story of why not selling copper .There is a lot of theft of scrap copper people even steal from rail roads cutting cables some even cut live wires.If they resell could be traced back to the scrap yard and cause problems.
wynnum1

Return to Distillers Warehouse