Condenser

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Condenser

Postby BWK » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:08 pm

Hey All,

I am currently in the process of finalising my license to distill.

I am looking for a condenser to fit a still that I am potentially going to be fabricating (roughly about 300L capacity).

I was wondering the forum's thoughts on fabricating a condenser myself or whether I should buy one pre-made.

Cheers,

BWK
BWK

equipment: Pot Still

Re: Condenser

Postby Kenster » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:34 pm

Hi BWK and welcome...
I am all for fabricating, for two reasons... cost obviously, shop bought stuff is always at a premium and secondly, (given you have the skills) you will end up with what you want/need and not what is on the shelf.
Everyone wants to sell their stuff and says it is great... till you get it home and it is not up to the task.
The info you have supplied is scant though and the type of still, not only the capacity will drive your decisions. Probably the type of spirit you are chasing will impact also.
If you go the DIY route, overengineer it cos first time round is better than 'oh shit' wish it had a greater capacity.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby orcy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:46 pm

If you have the skills build it yourself. 8inch rc and 4 inch shotgun pc would be awesome on a 300l boiler.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:49 pm

I would give Mac or Sue at FSD a call and would go with their recomendation they have helped set up a few with little ta no complaints and there is no substitute for experience in the field,at 300lt boiler ya talkin a fair value of hooch going thru it and cheaping out could end badly,Iam not sure the powers ta be would like home made gear in a commercial environment either without a manufacturers certification and serial number.But good luck I hope you do well with ya dream job.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby warramungas » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:05 pm

hillzabilly wrote:I would give Mac or Sue at FSD a call and would go with their recomendation they have helped set up a few with little ta no complaints and there is no substitute for experience in the field,at 300lt boiler ya talkin a fair value of hooch going thru it and cheaping out could end badly,Iam not sure the powers ta be would like home made gear in a commercial environment either without a manufacturers certification and serial number.But good luck I hope you do well with ya dream job.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1:
Remember you should be able to claim equipment back on taxes. Not 100% on that one but it works in every other industry.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Return to Distillers Warehouse