Cooling for 4 inch 4 plate bubbler

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Cooling for 4 inch 4 plate bubbler

Postby Ned » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:15 am

My present cooling system for a T500 is the following pump from a 2000 litre tank.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/65L-Min-3-S ... 2a9db23a0b
I can get approximately 13 l per minute from connection but coming out of condensor on the T500 I only get about 3 l per minute.
The inlet and outlet hose's on the T500 are fairly small.

I would use 1/2 BSP fittings and hose's for the bubbler.
The question I am asking is the following :-

Is 1/2 BSP gate valve from Bunnings good enough to control the RC and PC. ? (Good wide opening no restriction)
Or 1/2 BSP needle valve, which will give greater control, but a restricted flow ?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-2-DN15-St ... 0878143604
Any thoughts would be appreciated. :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ned

equipment: 4" 4 Plate Bubbler with 500m packed section/blockhead and 50 litre milk can. Only the best.

Re: Cooling for 4 inch 4 plate bubbler

Postby Joycy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:34 am

You will get greater control from a needle valve either way. They are designed for precise flow control where any other valve (ball valve or gate valve) will slow flow down when partially closed but without precise control of the actual flow rate
Last edited by Joycy on Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joycy

equipment: Currently building a 4" bubbler

Postby The Stig » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:41 am

Needle valves are a waste of money on the water flow, way too expensive, the brass bunnings jobs are fine.
Its what I use, gives me enough control :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I cant comment on the pump, guess it depends on your head hight.
I use: https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-750w- ... p_p4816360
Last edited by The Stig on Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby coffe addict » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:16 am

I use that pump and it does a good job, the flow isn't much different to the garden hose.
The gate valve is good for pc I found the gate valves too hard for control of the rc but I have a larger and therefore more efficient rc than most so the finer control is very much needed also the pump being smaller than the stigs would contribute. The lower wattage has saved me more than the cost of the needle valve over the last year and then some!
There's no hard and fast rules.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby warramungas » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:44 am

I run a 1/2" needle valve on my RC and 1/2" ball valve on my PC. The ball valve is just to increase system pressure a little bit so all the water doesn't go straight through the PC. I'm not interested in flow rate through the PC and think the more the merrier (within reason as I don't recirculate).
My 1/2" needle valve fully open on the RC lets through way more water then I would require at any given time (except full reflux).
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Ned » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:26 pm

:text-thankyoublue: :text-thankyoublue: Everyone.
Might have to try the gate valves on both the RC and PC.
I reckon that I'll get better water flow with the bigger opening.
If that does not work I'll change the pump.

Cheers

Ned
Last edited by Ned on Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ned

equipment: 4" 4 Plate Bubbler with 500m packed section/blockhead and 50 litre milk can. Only the best.

Postby PeterC » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:16 pm

warramungas wrote:I run a 1/2" needle valve on my RC and 1/2" ball valve on my PC. The ball valve is just to increase system pressure a little bit so all the water doesn't go straight through the PC. I'm not interested in flow rate through the PC and think the more the merrier (within reason as I don't recirculate).
My 1/2" needle valve fully open on the RC lets through way more water then I would require at any given time (except full reflux).

:text-+1:
I have to have a needle valve on the RC and its just open half a turn when I am collecting. A bit more in summer when the cooling water is higher temperature. Half a turn more and I am on full reflux. This gives me very fine control of the collection rate, not easy to duplicate on a ball valve or gate valve.
Last edited by PeterC on Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby Ned » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:30 pm

PeterC wrote:
warramungas wrote:I run a 1/2" needle valve on my RC and 1/2" ball valve on my PC. The ball valve is just to increase system pressure a little bit so all the water doesn't go straight through the PC. I'm not interested in flow rate through the PC and think the more the merrier (within reason as I don't recirculate).

I have to have a needle valve on the RC and its just open half a turn when I am collecting. A bit more in summer when the cooling water is higher temperature. Half a turn more and I am on full reflux. This gives me very fine control of the collection rate, not easy to duplicate on a ball valve or gate valve.

Thats what I am trying to get my head around :angry-banghead:
What do you use for deliverying your water pump or mains pressure ?
If a pump do you know the litres per minute ?
:text-thankyoublue:
Ned

Postby Ned » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:33 pm

I did not think distilling was so much fun and thats even before you start to distil on a plate bubbler. :laughing-rolling:
It's enough to drive anybody to drink :text-lol:
Ned

Postby The Stig » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:52 pm

I’ll drink to that :obscene-drinkingchug:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Ned » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:17 pm

The Stig wrote:I’ll drink to that :obscene-drinkingchug:

And again :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
Just enjoying a Lazy Yak beer that I have brewed with Citra - Cascade and Nelson Sauvin hops.
Just poured a handle from my keggerator :teasing-tease:
Ned

Postby PeterC » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:34 pm

Ned wrote:
PeterC wrote:

I use a pump similar to the one Stig linked to from Bunnings, submersible with a 1" take off in a 1000L IBC. I use 1/2" garden hose, click on adaptors and us a "Y" adaptor to split into 2 lines just after the pump. One line goes to the PC which has a 1/2" ball valve which is usually fully open. The other goes to my RC with a needle valve. I put a electrical tie on the needle valve handle so I can see the needle valve position. I run the return lines back to the IBC and the one from the RC I put in a clamp above the IBC so I can see the return flow. I like the flow meters some people use but watching the rate the hot water dribbles out is a great indicator. It is a fairly low flow. (I used to be able to pee that fast when I was younger, but not anymore :violin: )

In summer the IBC water warms up over time, I can do 2 50L strips in a day without problems and a another the next day. I have a copper heat exchanger from a gas water heater and was thinking to run the return water through it with a cooling fan but have not had the need as yet. It is good fun isn't it!
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby Ned » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:13 am

PeterC wrote:
Ned wrote:
PeterC wrote:

I use a pump similar to the one Stig linked to from Bunnings, submersible with a 1" take off in a 1000L IBC. I use 1/2" garden hose, click on adaptors and us a "Y" adaptor to split into 2 lines just after the pump. One line goes to the PC which has a 1/2" ball valve which is usually fully open. The other goes to my RC with a needle valve. I put a electrical tie on the needle valve handle so I can see the needle valve position. I run the return lines back to the IBC and the one from the RC I put in a clamp above the IBC so I can see the return flow. I like the flow meters some people use but watching the rate the hot water dribbles out is a great indicator. It is a fairly low flow. (I used to be able to pee that fast when I was younger, but not anymore :violin: )

In summer the IBC water warms up over time, I can do 2 50L strips in a day without problems and a another the next day. I have a copper heat exchanger from a gas water heater and was thinking to run the return water through it with a cooling fan but have not had the need as yet. It is good fun isn't it!

Fantastic information on this site. :text-thankyoublue:
I am looking at doing something the same. As I will have to feed the RC and PC
Presently I have the small pump pulling from a 2000litre tank and I recirculate the water. (which I can see) via the sink and via a diverter I recirculate to a 200 litre drum which has a submersible pump that starts automatically and pumps back to the 2000 litre tank.

Approximately what temperature does your water come out.?
I have the Aldi submersible pump (in the 200 litre drum) and have to be careful because the impeller will only take about 40 deg c.
Might have to put the Aldi pump in the big tank and re plump and buy a bunnings one for 200 litre drum.
Just trying to plan ahead
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ned

Postby RC Al » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:32 am

It would be easier and cheaper to run a direct return line
Depending on configuration, you can be returning water at 70+ degrees
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby PeterC » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:39 pm

RC Al wrote:It would be easier and cheaper to run a direct return line
Depending on configuration, you can be returning water at 70+ degrees

Yep the RC return is very hot. The pump you have in the top picture is a hot water pump, you can see the plate quotes 100C service. I come off my submersible with this tap fitting
tap fitting.JPG
and split into a "Y adapter
Y adapter.JPG
still under the water surface (small leaks not critical) then come out with 2 hoses so I have separate supply and return and I use the T adapter
T adapter.JPG
for connections in and out of the condensers. I find the connections leak if they don't hang vertical. Some use hoselock.
hoselink.JPG
I have bought these but not fitted them yet. The hot water runs into the IBC and can get into the low 30 degrees C range. I put a temperature indicating strip on the IBC to monitor like they stick on fermenters.
PeterC

Postby Matt_Pl » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:18 am

I had the exact same setup on my bubbler when I purchased it a few years ago from Mac.

The braded lines and Bunnings gate valves. I thought it was running sweet until I post a couple of weeks ago regarding running the bubbler with 4 plates and trying for rum/UJSSM. It was running like a pot still.

My cooling setup is a cheap 350w Bunnings submersible pump in a 1000litre IBC.

Considering I live in Darwin my cooling water starts at 32.5oC and my return water was 36oC I struggled to knock down one element at 2400w and I struggled to properly control the reflux levels (it was either too fast or too slow)

I replaced the braded lines with 19mm irrigation hose and 15m BSP to barbed fittings. The water flow doubled through the RC and PC, the internal diameter of those lines is very small.

I also replaced my RC gate valve with a needle valve from trade link.

Holy Jesus I feel like I have more control than Buzz did when he landed on the moonshine and I’m now kicking myself for not buying a needle valve on my RC years ago.

Either way good luck mate!!
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Postby db1979 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:53 pm

:text-+1: I also use 19 mm line as I found the flow was too slow with the braided lines. I'm using a bunnings fountain pump,
https://www.bunnings.com.au/aquapro-water-feature-pond-pump-small_p2820006
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Ned » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:31 pm

Matt_Pl wrote:I had the exact same setup on my bubbler when I purchased it a few years ago from Mac.

The braded lines and Bunnings gate valves. I thought it was running sweet until I post a couple of weeks ago regarding running the bubbler with 4 plates and trying for rum/UJSSM. It was running like a pot still.

My cooling setup is a cheap 350w Bunnings submersible pump in a 1000litre IBC.

Considering I live in Darwin my cooling water starts at 32.5oC and my return water was 36oC I struggled to knock down one element at 2400w and I struggled to properly control the reflux levels (it was either too fast or too slow)

I replaced the braded lines with 19mm irrigation hose and 15m BSP to barbed fittings. The water flow doubled through the RC and PC, the internal diameter of those lines is very small.

I also replaced my RC gate valve with a needle valve from trade link.

Holy Jesus I feel like I have more control than Buzz did when he landed on the moonshine and I’m now kicking myself for not buying a needle valve on my RC years ago.

Either way good luck mate!!

Any pic of the 19mm irrigation hose. ?
So you still have a gate valve on the PC ? I think you did say that.

Some great information here on this site :text-thankyoublue:
Ned

Postby Ned » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:22 pm

20mm.JPG
How do you think these would go for cooling the RC and PC.
They are a ball valve and typically used for gas.
Thinking of the 20mm for plenty of water flow from the small pump.
https://plumbingsales.com.au/20mm-gas-c ... lared.html
Last edited by Ned on Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ned

Postby db1979 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:28 pm

Not enough control for an RC, better off with a gate valve. You don't need to have a large gate valve, 1/2" is fine. Pressure loss occurs when you have a small diameter over a long distance. If it's just a small section of the cooling lines it won't affect it. And when you're collecting product you'll find the valve is almost completely closed anyway.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Next

Return to Distillers Warehouse