Water quality

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Water quality

Postby Westshine » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:08 pm

I'm in a house without a water tank, using mains water (Peel region WA). I'm looking at AG ferments and want to up my game for better quality control. I'm doing 200ltr mashes so need something to filter the mains water, does anyone have a system RO or filtration that they recommend for larger volumes?
Westshine

equipment: 4" x 4 plates, 4" Pot / Whiskey dome - 100ltr boiler

Re: Water quality

Postby The Stig » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:20 am

The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Woods314 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:59 am

I have a similar setup to Stig. I don’t know if anyone else has the same problem as me but the grey thingy in the pictures on Stig’s link is a pressure reducer which I believe is to absorb any pressure spikes encountered in your water supply or maybe the filter system just can’t handle mains pressure. Any how, this along with the resistance in the filters themselves results in a significant reduction in flow rate which worsens as the filters block over time. So if you’re doing 200 litre washes, while you are waiting for this to fill with a filter system, you could wash the dishes, mow the lawn and do the washing and probably still have time to watch a movie. Maybe exaggerating a little but just be aware there will be a slower flow rate so allow time for this.
Woods314

equipment: T500 and pot still attachment.

Postby The Stig » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:29 am

I’ll agree woodsy
But, isn’t this entire hobby based an patients ? :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:24 am

Have you looked at collecting collecting rain water could connect a device to the base of a down pipe and pump into drums or an IBC but being untreated water would need to filter but if the water has less unwanted chemicals and minerals the filter will process more water before it needs changing.
wynnum1

Postby Woods314 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:56 pm

A bit off topic, but where I live we can’t have rain water tanks because the ground cover here is sporadic spinifex and there is mineral content, so the dust here is plentiful and has lead.
Woods314

equipment: T500 and pot still attachment.

Postby db1979 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:28 pm

On the topic of slow flow through the filters, as mentioned, it tends to get worse when the filter gets blocked up... Which is what filters are designed to do. Problem is significantly improved when the filters are replaced.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:43 am

Woods314 wrote:A bit off topic, but where I live we can’t have rain water tanks because the ground cover here is sporadic spinifex and there is mineral content, so the dust here is plentiful and has lead.

Do you get rain because even if the dust has lead could still use the water just put trough a filter or use to water the garden but not the one eaten.
These solar farms they are building have they looked at collecting the water that runs off the panels .
wynnum1

Return to Distillers Warehouse