New Glass Spirit Bottles - Perth Members

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Postby audistiller » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:16 am

Hi All,
I have changed the title and contents of this thread instead of creating a new one. I want to know from those of you in Perth and the surrounding areas, if anyone is interested in purchasing some brand new glass spirit bottles. Now I realise most of you wont be interested, but I wanted to put it out there to see how many of you would interested in a bulk purchase of new spirit bottles. Since new spirit bottles are hard to find in Perth, and most places around Australia wont ship Interstate because of breakages, I wanted to look into what options are available in Perth, and if its worth buying new bottles, you don't know until you ask, and I wanted to know my options before making a decision, so far it looks bloody good value.

I have been in contact with a supplier in Perth, and have received some information after several phone calls and emails, on different sizes and prices. Some of these bottles only come in bulk lots, of between 756 and 1000 per order, others are in packs of four or six. I am working on a better deal, but so far the prices are pretty good considering they are proper glass spirit bottles with screw top lids, and not the swing top.

I want to make it clear, I am not saying I want to get 3 or 4 or even 5 people to split a $1000 order because I know that wont happen, what I was hoping for is heaps of people only buying what they want, whether it be 10, 20 or 30 bottles, hopefully I can get enough interest to be able to buy these in bulk. Now when you look at these prices, the cost of say the 1125ml spirit bottles with screw top lids, they are cheaper than the swing tops IKEA sell which are only 1 litre anyway.

The information I have so far, is the normal 2 litre glass flagons with screw top lids are $1.63 each in a pack of 6. Now for the 1.125 litre bottles, they come in bulk lots of 756, and the price is $1.31 each. For the 700ml bottles, they are also in bulk, and the price is 70 cents each, yes I said 70 cents each.

For the 5 litre glass Demijohn type with swing top lid, they are $10.00 each, and I believe these are sold in packs of 4. The 5 litre Demijohns I have bought from other places, were $17.50 each, and the best price I have seen these so far in Perth was $16.00 each, so these are quite a bit cheaper.

I believe the 750ml bottles need to be ordered in, and I am going to find out about prices and quantities of these hopefully next week. If I get enough interest, I might knock up a PDF with photos and prices for each of these bottles. As I already have an ABN, I might even see about getting these even cheaper again, I will look into it. I am thinking about scrapping some cash together and ordering a heap anyway, then selling them as people want them, but for now I wanted to put the word out to hopefully get enough interest to order some.

Regards
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Re: New Glass Spirit Bottles - Perth Members

Postby Kimbo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:38 am

That sound good Mate, i'd buy 20 or 30.
i looked into that myself a while back and got the same response, the suppliers didnt want to know me unless i got a minimum 1000 bottles.
i havent tried SWAT Trading on Great Nothern Hwy yet!
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby R-sole » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:12 pm

http://www.plasdene.com.au/category/ind ... cat3/Glass

Plasdene has an office in Perth. They are good to deal with, have a great range and happy to sell to the public.
They will ship too, although i have got boxes with glass jars that were broken and had no packaging around them.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby cdbrown » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:12 pm

As I'm only just getting into this hobby I have no bottles at all so definitely interested in some. How much I have no idea as I don't have a clue how much would be needed if doing a run from a 25L wash. Demijohns sound good for bulk storage and of course the normal bottles for serving. What do you guys use for capturing and storing the spirits when doing a run? I don't have a lot of jars and what I do have get's used for pickled onions or chillies. Could the bottles and demijohns be used?

If you can come up with a list which shows what the minimum orders would be for each then we could probably rule some options out and fill the order.
cdbrown

equipment: 50L keg with McStill pot head, 3-ring burner on MP adj reg (upgrading to italian spiral)
McStill Copper Parrot
3v 50L brew rig with HERMS for 42L homebrew batches

Postby Kimbo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:18 pm

audistiller wrote:Hi All,

Now for the 1.125 litre bottles, they come in bulk lots of 756, and the price is $1.31 each. For the 700ml bottles, they are also in bulk, and the price is 70 cents each, yes I said 70 cents each.

Regards

Yep, Just rang Plasdene they quoted the same.
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby audistiller » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:42 pm

Thats where these prices are from, and I have been speaking to a very helpful woman that is more than happy to go out of her way to help.
Again, this is only an initial query to see what interest I can get, the more people that show interest, then I will know if this is going to be worth it, the prices are definitely very good, so that's not the problem. I am now considering doing a bulk order anyway as soon as I can scrape up the cash, and selling them as people want them, because there are always going to be people interested in these, whether that be on here, or Gumtree.

Regards
audistiller

Postby audistiller » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:43 pm

cdbrown wrote:If you can come up with a list which shows what the minimum orders would be for each then we could probably rule some options out and fill the order.

I have received two quotes for the various sized bottles I have listed in my first post. The 2 litre Flagons and the 5 litre Demijohns are the only ones that have a minimum order of 4 or 6, the others are in bulk lots.

Since you don't have any bottles yet, it might pay to head over to IKEA Osborne Park and just grab a couple of their 1 litre swing top bottles to get you by until I can organise this bulk buy. If you only grab a few for now, once the bulk order is organised, you can then sell the couple of bottles you have on Gumtree or whatever if you want, you shouldn't have much trouble getting $1.00 each for these as long as they are clean and you only store spirit in them.

Ultimately I would like to bulk order all these bottles this week, but I cant afford to do that just yet. The more I order in bulk at a time, it will put me in a better position to get the whole lot a bit cheaper than it would just ordering 50.

I suppose for now, I could do an order for just a heap of the 5 litre Demijohns, if I can get enough interest for them. The more I think about it, I might actually set up an account and look into using my ABN for ongoing purchases.

Regards
audistiller

Postby R-sole » Tue May 01, 2012 4:16 am

You'd get more interest i believe if you chose one of the custom spirit bottles. There really are some beautiful bottles there. Use natural T corks for closures and you are on a winner. If you get some shrink tops for em they come up a treat too...

rumbottles1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby audistiller » Fri May 04, 2012 12:15 am

Yes 5Star they do look good, by custom did you mean the square ones, or do they have markings on them...?
audistiller

Postby R-sole » Fri May 04, 2012 4:46 am

No sorry, they are all recycled spirit bottles. The picture was meant to show the shrink tops to seal and present the bottles.
R-sole

Postby audistiller » Fri May 04, 2012 5:39 am

5Star wrote:If you get some shrink tops for em they come up a treat too...

How do they shrink down, a bit of heat just like the tube, they would only be a few cents each I would think...?
audistiller

Postby R-sole » Fri May 04, 2012 6:50 am

Yep, come in a packet of 100. All different colours and you just use a hairdryer.

Keep trying to think of the proper name...The packet just says pvc capsules, but the winemakes call them something else.

Your brewshop should get them if you can't find them online cheap.
R-sole

Postby cdbrown » Fri May 04, 2012 5:46 pm

cdbrown

equipment: 50L keg with McStill pot head, 3-ring burner on MP adj reg (upgrading to italian spiral)
McStill Copper Parrot
3v 50L brew rig with HERMS for 42L homebrew batches

Postby R-sole » Fri May 04, 2012 6:12 pm

That's excellent if you want a million of em. :happy-cheerleadersmileyguy:
R-sole

Postby audistiller » Fri May 04, 2012 8:15 pm

5Star wrote:That's excellent if you want a million of em.

And I think the ticket to China would blow out the cost of it being a cheap alternative. :laughing-lettersrofl:
audistiller

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat May 05, 2012 9:11 am

Just a word of warning: we ordered some stuff from alibaba for work and they have sold our email address a million times.

We get three or four Chinese spam mails almost hourly ever since. They all reference (however vaguely) the material we bought. I block senders from china over and over again but we still get spam in terrible English saying "glad to hear you! Nice is know you are market for in high quality -insert shit here, we get it all -

LDE light strips? HDPE plastic granules? Aluminium powder...1000 compostable shopping bags?

it is endless and it's all from one purchase from alibaba. NEVER AGAIN! Don't even make a price enquiry unless it's a throw away email.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby audistiller » Fri May 11, 2012 1:24 pm

Thanks for the heads up Brewer, I for one wouldn't bother, and unfortunately there are more and more of these sites springing up all the time. I really believe Australian laws should be much tighter on shit like this, I cringe at the thought quite often of all the people getting caught out with scams. Although its not an Australian site, they could block the domain for sites like this from being accessed.

PS: No news yet on an order for any of these bottles, so far there's not much interest, but what's stopping me buying them anyway is the cash.

Regards
audistiller

Postby caveman » Sun May 13, 2012 11:45 pm

hey im intrested in the bottle situation im just new and have no stock of any bottles so it would help me out when i get goin
so count me in for sure
caveman

equipment: 3" macStill boka
2" pot still with shotgun condencer (the swan with hotdog ) custom by mcstill
105L custom built s/s boiler with sight glass/fillport ,thermoport
Aces high thumper plate bubbler ( long term project)
building custom mobile boiler bench

Postby audistiller » Mon May 14, 2012 3:15 am

caveman wrote:so count me in for sure

Noted Caveman, I'm not sure yet when I will be able to do this, but it is still a priority for me, so when I'm going to do the purchase, I will contact everyone in this thread that has shown interest, as I mentioned before, I will be buying some anyway, so as soon as I place the order, I will let everyone know. Since you are new here, I don't know if you are aware IKEA has some 1 litre glass swing top bottles, a few of them should get you by until I can do an order if you need some for now.

Regards
audistiller

Postby BackyardBrewer » Mon May 14, 2012 9:16 am

I said to family & trusted friends "don't throw out any clear wine bottles or spirit bottles" and was buried in bottles in a matter of a month.

Scrubbing the labels off is a bastard but worth it. You could use red wine bottles too, but I just like to see what's inside the bottle.

Trust me put the word out and you'd be surprised how many wine and spirit bottles you'll get given in no time.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Next

Return to Distillers Warehouse