Hydrometers

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Hydrometers

Postby audistiller » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi everyone,
I require some clarification regarding Hydrometers. When I bought my fermenter just over a week ago, and all the necessary things for starting out, I was sold an Alkoholometer (spelling is correct) and a Hydrometer. I was told that the Hydrometer was used for spirits, so I thought OK good to go. I discovered a few days ago on a HBS website, there is a Spirit Hydrometer, and wondered why the price was $24.50, compared to the one I paid $10 for. On the Hydrometer I purchased, I see it says for beer and wine, and is triple scale. Can you good people please tell me what is the difference between the two, there must be something for the price difference surely.

Cheers
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Re: Hydrometers

Postby Kimbo » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:32 pm

Hi Aud,
the Hydrometer (triple scale) is for testing the specific gravity of your wash(O.G. and F.G.) from this you can calculate the alcohol % of your wash.
the Alkoholmeter is for measuring the % of alcohol of your spirit :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby R-sole » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:34 pm

Alcometer is for measuring the alcohol content of spirits. Won't work for beer or wine. It's scaled in abv.

Hydrometer is for measuring the sugar content (and therefore the potential alcohol) in a mash or wash for beer, wine or spirits.
You take a reading of the original sugar content, then another reading after fermentation to figure the potential abv of your beer.

You really need to start looking at the classifieds here. most of the stuff you are buying from the brew shops are available from vendors here at a cheaper price or more suited to our game.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby audistiller » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:08 pm

Thanks guys,
I know what the Alcometer is for, and I have been using the Hydrometer. What I don't know is, the Hydrometer I have says its used for Beer & Wine, but I have seen a Hydrometer apparently especially for spirits. The one I have costs $10, and the one for spirits is $29.95, what is the difference between the two...?

Here is the spirit Hydrometer I am referring too, and before you ask, no I haven't been lining Brewcrafts pockets with my money - http://www.westbrew.com.au/showProduct/ ... ing/700007

Here is the Hydrometer I bought a few weeks ago - http://www.homebru.com.au/index.php?mai ... cts_id=760

Edit: I understand what your trying to say 5Star, supporting site vendors, its just mainly the place I bought most of my gear, he is only about 20 minutes away, he is quite cheap, and I can get a bit of product support if I need it from an old timer that's been in the business for donkeys, also when I bought my starter kit ($170) I got $20 off.

Regards
audistiller

Postby Sam. » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:25 pm

audistiller wrote:Thanks guys,

Here is the spirit Hydrometer I am referring too, and before you ask, no I haven't been lining Brewcrafts pockets with my money - http://www.westbrew.com.au/showProduct/ ... ing/700007

Here is the Hydrometer I bought a few weeks ago - http://www.homebru.com.au/index.php?mai ... cts_id=760

Edit: I understand what your trying to say 5Star, supporting site vendors, its just mainly the place I bought most of my gear, he is only about 20 minutes away, he is quite cheap, and I can get a bit of product support if I need it from an old timer that's been in the business for donkeys, also when I bought my starter kit ($170) I got $20 off.

Regards

The first one is an alcometer, they have confused it by saying it is a hydrometer (it may be a hydrometer? but no-one refers to it as such)

The second one is (a hydrometer) like everyone else has said it is for taking a starting gravity reading then a final gravity reading to determine how much alcohol you just fermented be it beer, wine or wash for spirits.

The first one is only good for spirit after it comes out of the still. The second is only good for for ferments before distillation.

The difference at the shop is if you can buy an alcometer for $10 and a "spirit hydrometer (alcometer)" for $30 they are ripping people off.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby audistiller » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:24 pm

Thanks for that Sam, too much information too fast is throwing me all over the place. I fired up the brand new T500 nearly an hour ago, so I am now waiting for it to hit temperature, and start the flow of my first ever run. :D

Cheers
audistiller

Postby Kal » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:31 pm

Technically anything used to measure the density of a liquid is a hydrometer, however the instrument used to measure an alcohol/water density to give an alcohol content measurement is more commonly sold as an alcometer, while the instrument used to measure a sugar water density is generally just sold as a hydrometer.

The first one just uses an unconventional name of alcohol hydrometer (and is advertised as a spirit hydrometer) which makes it a bit confusing :)
Kal

equipment: 50L keg boiler
2" bok still
4" plate still

Postby cap73n » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:51 pm

Does anyone know where you can get a calibrated set of alcohol proof measuring hydrometers? So in other words, something a long the lines of a 5 piece set that would more accurately measure the percentages in 5 specific ranges, ie. 5 individual hydrometers 0-20%, 20-40%, 40-60%, 60-80% and 80-100%
cap73n

equipment: Home made stainless VM reflux still with a 50mm x 1.5m column and a 28L boiler powered by twin 2000w internal elements. Column is packed with copper mesh.

Postby Teddysad » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:59 pm

Over here I have seen only 3 ranges

A The standard 0 to 100

B 0 to 50

C 70 to 100
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby cap73n » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:31 pm

Yeh ive currently got a 0-100 'alcometer' that I bought from my local brew shop. After I take my initial reading, then calculate the water needed to bring it down to 40%, then add the water. If I use the 'alcometer' to check my final abv its generally way out and I have to add more water. (note: I always use a thermometer to check if I need to make any calcs)

Thanks bourbonjunkie, i'll shoot them an email for price.
cap73n

equipment: Home made stainless VM reflux still with a 50mm x 1.5m column and a 28L boiler powered by twin 2000w internal elements. Column is packed with copper mesh.

Postby 7evan » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:56 pm

ThieveBay.
7evan

equipment: FSD/COPPER handmade crossbred bubbler!
Itailian Spiral Burner with HP Reg

Postby P3T3rPan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:03 am

BourbonJunkie wrote:
cap73n wrote:If I use the 'alcometer' to check my final abv its generally way out and I have to add more water. (note: I always use a thermometer to check if I need to make any calcs)

I've been having the same problem, and stuffed if I can work out why. I reckon the hydrometer I have is shonky. When I calculate to 40% I invariably find the ABV I get is 42 - 43%.

Might not be the alchometer/hydrometer
Not all liquid measuring vessels are accurate
Nor thermometers for that
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Re: Hydrometers and accuracy

Postby Teddysad » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:14 am

Are you adding water to the spirit or spirit to the water?

W to S tends to create a hgher temperature and may be affecting your reading if you do it straight after
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby cap73n » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:15 am

P3T3rPan wrote:
BourbonJunkie wrote:
cap73n wrote:If I use the 'alcometer' to check my final abv its generally way out and I have to add more water. (note: I always use a thermometer to check if I need to make any calcs)

I've been having the same problem, and stuffed if I can work out why. I reckon the hydrometer I have is shonky. When I calculate to 40% I invariably find the ABV I get is 42 - 43%.

Might not be the alchometer/hydrometer
Not all liquid measuring vessels are accurate
Nor thermometers for that

Very good point. Mayb its time I invested in some certified measuring cylinders
cap73n

Re: Hydrometers and accuracy

Postby cap73n » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:16 am

Teddysad wrote:Are you adding water to the spirit or spirit to the water?

W to S tends to create a hgher temperature and may be affecting your reading if you do it straight after

Im adding water to spirit, but I have been checking temperatures the whole way through the process, as I new this could be a variable.
cap73n

Return to Distillers Warehouse