Turbo 500 (T500) great for 'vodka'

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Turbo 500 (T500) great for 'vodka'

Postby clearspirit » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:26 pm

In the face of much disdain and ridicule on certain forums, I'd like to share my experience for those considering this still.

I bought my T500 5 years ago because I was in a particularly bad place with ongoing depression (second divorce – you'd think I'd learn first time...) and couldn't afford to drink as much as I wanted at the time. I just wanted cheap and fast escape from my problems (it didn't work and only made things worse what a surprise) so I blindly followed the manufacturer's instructions with turbo yeast, two-part flocullent, diligently thoroughly shook both copper and stainless saddles in place, distilled at 55-65C (tried to keep it at 60C), and put it through a four litre SS column carbon filter.

I distilled straight into a 4L carboy (what are cuts?) and regularly got 3.5 – 3.8L of 95% @30C. My alcometer temperature adjustment scale only goes up to 90%ABV and for 30C the adjustment drops the higher the ABV. At 80% it's -3.1% and at 90% it's -2.7% so at 95% I'm guessing the adjustment would be even less than -2.7%, so at least 92%.

Diluted it 1:1 with water, wacked it in the column filter, set it to two drops per second as per manufacturer's specs, and it came out 45% (adjusted). I thought it was a bit rough, so put it through again. Very drinkable, and anyone who tried it was impressed.

After that brew the only change I made to the process was letting the 50/50 (always 95% @ 30C) diluted mix sit in the column for at least four hours or overnight and set the ball valve to 1 drop per second . This flow rate was near impossible with the ridiculously short tap handle so I lengthened it by unrolling the rolled sheet tap handle and epoxying in a 3” nail, then using a foot long by half inch piece of 9-ply as a hammer to gently tap the end of the nail. This was still frustrating as a slightly harder tap would change the flow too much. I finally worked out it was better to hammer with the same force, but shorten or lengthen my grip on the ply (duh...)

The problem here was that even after a whole 750ml (I thinks that's 'a fifth') of my 45% 'vodka' I had no hangover so there was no dis-incentive not to drink! (thankfully I saw the stupidity of my coping mechanism and brought the black dog to heel)

The point is, if you want pretty easy making quite nice 'vodka' with no hangover that you can afford to generously shout your mates, the Turbo 500 is an excellent choice in my opinion (as well as everyone else who's tried my 'vodka' so far)

Now I'm trying to avoid 'crap in, crap out' by giving my still the cleanest wash possible, as well as avoiding buying carbon and the 5-6 days it takes for the 8-8.75L of 40% (80 proof now – easier to keep track for driving) to filter at one drop per second but that's a whole other journey...
clearspirit

equipment: Turbo 500

Re: Turbo 500 (T500) great for 'vodka'

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:45 pm

Two of my workmates have the same still and before they met me they used turdbo yeast :scared-eek: I told them both to make a TPW wash and double distill it keeping the spirit run under 40% ABV.

both said turdbo yeast is a thing of the past and the socalled carbon filters are going to a better cause (the rubbish bin) :laughing-rolling:

As when doing it right it tastes just right and turdbo yeast is just like trying to polish a turd but in the end it's still shit :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:33 am

If you enjoy your product as well as your friends good on you clear spirit.
I for one have never said the T500 was a poor product. Most of the put down around the T500 is in relation to the high cost of the recommended products and filters.
The T500 will do a good job, I believe the thread on how to run one produces and even better product but again I have never had one to try.

I also believe that if you follow the course of making cuts then you will be surprised at the difference it can make. It is all about effort and reward and how much time we all have. If you enjoy your product that is all that matters mate.

I am saddened that you felt you had to rewrite this piece to justify your equipment. I like to think that this is an inclusive forum and that all distillers and potential distillers are welcome

Pleased you and your mates enjoy the fruits of your labour because that is one of the biggest kicks of this hobby. Giving people a drink and then having them look at you and say “seriously you made this, how” but let’s not get into how we bore the pants off them telling them every step of the process :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby clearspirit » Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:08 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:Two of my workmates have the same still and before they met me they used turdbo yeast :scared-eek: I told them both to make a TPW wash and double distill it keeping the spirit run under 40% ABV.

both said turdbo yeast is a thing of the past and the socalled carbon filters are going to a better cause (the rubbish bin) :laughing-rolling:

As when doing it right it tastes just right and turdbo yeast is just like trying to polish a turd but in the end it's still shit :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Still new to the forum so I've only just seen this reply now...(!!!) So I think I heard you say that your workmates just ran the wash through without all the hoohaa around a stripping run as is usually done with a pot still, which you can't do safely with a stock standard T500, then diluted that first run down to 40% for their second run, and they didn't need to filter before drinking?
clearspirit

equipment: Turbo 500

Return to Distillers Warehouse