Reece Plumping is a ripoff

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Re: Reece Plumping is a ripoff

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:18 pm

Try bentons plumbing the one near here is excellent [gisbourne]
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby bt1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:05 pm

Get a trade cash only account for Reece. Download app fill it front up.

Get up to 45% straight off and best case 60% on selected items.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby googe » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:12 pm

Yeah but there stuff is 100% markup on other stores I go to so its still a loss lol.
googe

Postby MR-E » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:59 pm

bt1 wrote:Get a trade cash only account for Reece. Download app fill it front up.

Get up to 45% straight off and best case 60% on selected items.

bt1

Thanks, for that tip, do you need to provide an A.B.N or anything else :?:
MR-E

equipment: Cooking on gas,50ltr keg, 3"Bok &
4" column with 6 perf plates

Postby emptyglass » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:42 am

An ABN helps, as do referee's.
but if you apply for a cash account ( pay as you go) you will likley get on the books.
If you want acredit account, a cash account willrevert to a credit account in 3 months if you keep your account in good stead. You have no choice with a cash account to keep it in good stead, so you see where this is going?

And it always helps to know the product description before you ask for it. If you ask for a 1/2" thing that will connect to a tube thats copper about 2" big, they will diss you.
Ask for a 1/2" to 2" copper weld on reducer and the will say "is this what you mean?" as they hold up a fitting over the counter.

If you get them thinking this guy knows what he wants, you're half way to the 60% discount.
Not what you say, but how you say it at reece.
emptyglass

Postby googe » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:47 am

WineGlass wrote:An ABN helps, as do referee's.
but if you apply for a cash account ( pay as you go) you will likley get on the books.
If you want acredit account, a cash account willrevert to a credit account in 3 months if you keep your account in good stead. You have no choice with a cash account to keep it in good stead, so you see where this is going?

And it always helps to know the product description before you ask for it. If you ask for a 1/2" thing that will connect to a tube thats copper about 2" big, they will diss you.
Ask for a 1/2" to 2" copper weld on reducer and the will say "is this what you mean?" as they hold up a fitting over the counter.

If you get them thinking this guy knows what he wants, you're half way to the 60% discount.
Not what you say, but how you say it at reece.

Thats total bullshit empty, What gives him the right to over charge because someone doesnt know what there talking about, i dont know why people support these creatures. The plumb supply joints i go to dont ove charge because i dont know what im talking about, i think they call that customer service!.
googe

Postby MacStill » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:49 am

Dont worry googe, they try to overcharge me even if I do know what I'm talking about :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Sam. » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:03 am

You need to shop around for things to get the right price, this applies to everything.

If two companies make the same item they are usually going to be slightly different in prices, especially when sold through big chains like Harvey Norman etc.

Every Reece shop will be different and every Northerns etc.

Best thing to do is try to get a repore going with one of the salespersons. Make your life much easier when coming back for repeat business. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Linny » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:04 pm

well called up , got a verbal quote,,, decided that yep just over $100 was fair for what i was after.

rocked up , and they played dumb..... price doubled there on the spot.... im like WTF !!!! :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: i dont even know how im going to finish this build now....
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby googe » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:13 pm

Surely you have other plumb supplies in the area mate?.
googe

Postby Linny » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:22 pm

yeah a tradelink , eagles and a co-op in town .... dont feel like driving that far but
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Rumdrinker » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:37 pm

Linny wrote:well called up , got a verbal quote,,, decided that yep just over $100 was fair for what i was after.

rocked up , and they played dumb..... price doubled there on the spot.... im like WTF !!!! :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: i dont even know how im going to finish this build now....

That sucks & is just plain bad customer service which will screw any form of a good company reputation :violence-stickwhack:

Nothing pisses me more than an attempt to be taken for a ride, I would walk out empty handed as well on principle alone.

With a verbal quote I always get the sales persons name & line up a time to collect ensuring they are there.
Getting them to enter it in to the system & give you a quote number is good too if possible.
Might be worth calling them back & discussing the issue with the manager :think:
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby crow » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:00 pm

just came back from plumbtech now, a 2" copper cap $8 the one I got from Reece I think was just under $25, inch to 1/2" $2 for Reece I got an inch to 3/4 about $6 . So yeah my love affair with Reece is fucking over :ar!
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby bt1 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:46 pm

get an account...problem mostly fixed.
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:10 pm

From my experiences ,Reece's are dearer than Tradelink on all fittings by in some cases several hundred percent.

But to be fair ,they don't stock the same brand of products.Reece's brands are very well made and have about twice the copper in them than Tradelink's versions.

I think its a lot of "you pays for what you get" but as we don't need products that can withstand the high pressures and demands that plumbing products can handle ,the lighter grade cheaper options are of much more appeal :handgestures-thumbupleft:

When it comes to copper pipe ,Reece's quotes have always been way less ( read 50% or more) than Tradelink.

It pays to rock up in a white van with ladders and a conduit tube and wear a a high vis shirts all covered in shit and ask confidently for what you want .
Good thing My vans not sign written,They might work out I'm not a plumber :D
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby crow » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:30 pm

nup can't be fucked with Reece and fuck there account . I don't have an account with plumbTech so the 100's of % cheap was still at walk in price and as for quality well with all due respect that is such a load of fucking shit , they all have to pass a minimum Aust. standard, my cheap kembla fitting from plumbtech does and so does Reeces dear as buggery fucking crouching crane shit from you know where ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby emptyglass » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:30 pm

I like to go in there, dressed in my school drop off clothes and order some bits.

They say "That'll be $200 thanks"

Then I say put it on the account. And put a price on the docket.

$200 turns into $50.

Not saying I agree, but thats just how they roll. And accounts are not accounts. You get a discount schedule according to the volume you tell them you will buy.

Now, if you want to talk about theifs, lets talk BOC. Don't get me wrong, Reece is in the same sentance, but how can BOC charge the same for a fill of gas for an "d", "e" or "g" size bottle, within $10? Move more than 6 fills in a few months and the rep is knocking at your door, offering discounts.

Like my old man used to say, "There should be less corruption, or I should have more involvement in it".
emptyglass

Postby kelbygreen » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:46 pm

bt1 wrote:get an account...problem mostly fixed.

This is not true. I was talking to a plumber mate today about this and he even said he has to watch what they charging him as every now and then they slip something in there and if you dont know what your supposed to pay for it then you never find out. He said he has pulled them up many times.

I also got quotes over the phone within a few $ that they gave him with a account. But also depends who you get I bought the same thing twice at eagles and first time it was $10 cheaper and I told him the second time and he was like I could put a bit a discount on it I guess :angry-banghead:
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby Brendan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:55 pm

I hope someone from Reece comes on here wanting to buy a standard pot still...

That'll be $800 plus postage...special price for you :handgestures-thumbupleft:

(Then again if the parts came from there, the still maker would get no profit! :laughing-rolling: )
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby MacStill » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:11 pm

Reece tried to charge me $50 for a set of 2" & 3" copper ash trays once....... never went back :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

PreviousNext

Return to Distillers Warehouse