another source for cubes

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

another source for cubes

Postby invisigoth » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:38 pm

i wasn't sure where to stick this, and since this may be of interest to other beginers......

every so often i've seen people asking for sources of cubes to put hot wort/wash into to cool/store before fermenting. i'd gotten some small water containers 5/10l from bunnings, but these turned out to be pretty hopeless for small quantities since the lids don't seal very well. :crying-blue: they do have 25l cubes with proper seals however.

the surprise came when i was in supercheap auto. they had 15l and 25l cubes for drinking water, as well as 10 and 5l squat bottles made from the same thickness plastic with proper lids. they seem pretty sturdy. so if if you are like me and do smaller batches or odd quantities, it might be worth a look. :D
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Re: another source for cubes

Postby invisigoth » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:53 pm

just a quick update. the sca branded containers didn't specify if they were food grade. they didn't specify if they were intended for general water storage or actually rated for drinking water. i sent an e-mail to the manufacturers, a company called venture bmw. they replied
"Yes the SCA water drums are made using food and drug approved material." :handgestures-thumbupleft:
invisigoth

another source for cubes

Postby wedwards » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:41 pm

I get17 litre cubes from grain and grape in melb for either $6 or $8 each. I use them for all my nochill beer making and even for wort for whiskey. They are also great for storing uncrushed grains in.
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

another source for cubes

Postby wedwards » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:43 pm

How much were the sca ones?
wedwards

Postby invisigoth » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:35 pm

wedwards wrote:How much were the sca ones?

a lot dearer than the ones you were getting. the 25l is $22, the 10l is $14 and the 5l is $10. dunno about the 15l
invisigoth

another source for cubes

Postby wedwards » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:11 am

Damn ... Was hoping they weren't that much as I could use some bigger ones
wedwards

Postby unsub » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:54 am

A Ray's Outdoors has opened locally to me and you as well wedwards ;-) and they sell the 25l cubes for $15.88 VIP price and VIP is free to sign up for online.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

another source for cubes

Postby wedwards » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:46 am

Nice I'm there!
wedwards

Postby unsub » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:26 am

Yeah I'm going to drop in tonight and grab a couple. Might even get one of these for a nice quick boil up :twisted: http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/online-store/products/Campfire-Megajet-Butane-Burner.aspx?pid=215772#Combo
unsub

Postby Camikaze » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:36 am

Mate, if you can wait 2 weeks for a burner to turn up, they are well under $100 delivered from Amazon. Bayou-Classic burners - nearly identical to the one you linked.

I have one. $70 delivered. 185,000btu. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby unsub » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Thanks for that. I have just ordered one but they now only come with a 10psi reg which doesn't really matter because for the price of it delivered I can buy a higher pressure reg and still be in front by a fair bit compared to the same thing at Rays or BCF. I was tempted to get one of the dual jet burners but that may be a little overkill :smile:
unsub

Postby Camikaze » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:14 pm

Mine is one of them single jet burners. SP1 I think. Came with a 20psi reg, needle valve and braided hose. Fuck it roars! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I think they're pretty good value. ;-)
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby unsub » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:53 pm

I looked at one of those single burners and the double but I live almost on the local copshop's back door step so I reckon if I fired one of those up they would be over quick smart!
unsub

Postby Rosolinni » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:40 pm

Hi guys, I'm new here, what a great forum you have, never thought of storing grain in them and the other uses suggested, learning allot since i joined ;-) anyways I'm on the Gold Coast and have quite a few cubes in storage from beer kits I've brewed over time, if your inthis area PM me and I can give you some
Rosolinni

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler
FSD 4 Bubble plate still with packing section

Postby home_brewer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:30 am

If people are interested in 15/20/25l cube give people in plastic a go at the moment they are running a seconds sale20 l cube for $4ea
home_brewer

equipment: 2in pot
in progress
2"vm
4" bubbler
bigger boiler maby 80l

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:50 pm

Barnical Bills often have margarine tubs for a couple of $$ and they make good fermenters they are about 20 litres and I got a few of them and will get more.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby crow » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:29 pm

Wouldn't mess around with em bud, I'm sure the stock agents in Murray bridge or Mt Barker would carry them 75 ltr ,100 and 200 ltr ex olive/pickles and concentrate drums that they flog for storing poultry tucker. They seal air tight and make excellent fermenters , I got a handful of those 75 ltr jobbies, just get a air lock bubbler drill a hole in the lid to suit and Bobs ya aunties live in lover :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:35 pm

G'day Crow,
Well I took you up on those 75l drums so went into the Mt Barker fodder store this morning and asked about them and no they didn't keep them in stock but the guy did say his boss can get them from town so if you could come in on friday we can ask him if A he can get one and B how much for one. Now I also asked about some cracked corn and @ $18 a 25kg bag the price is right but they only had the cracked corn with molasses coated over the corn. Now how would that go for a USJM wash ? the guy did say also on friday they will have some non coated cracked corn in so I'll grab a 25kg bag then and get 2 wash's going in those tubs I got from barnical bills. Then it won't be too long a wait to do stripping runs.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Return to Distillers Warehouse