Oxy cylinders

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Oxy cylinders

Postby blond.chap » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:19 pm

I just got this pretty oxy/LPG setup in the post:
WP_000163.jpg

I've got an LPG cylinder, but I'm not sure where to start looking for oxygen cylinders in Adelaide, so here's my questions:
- What sort of place keeps oxygen cylinders for welding (in Adelaide preferably)
- What should I pay for it (is there cylinder rental or something like that)
- Anything else I should know before I get ripped off?

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Re: Oxy cylinders

Postby MacStill » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 pm

You'll probably need to go to BOC gas or a mob like that, but be prepared to bend over and hold your ankles tight then leave feeling a fair amount of discomfort ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:25 pm

BOC keep all the gas types you can think of. I dont know of any one els that keep cutting and welding gas's. The rent is not the best. But if you want gas you dont have a choice. Back in the day you could own your own bottles but now days all you can do is rent and all the bottles come with a fall proof bar code that cant be doged to save of rent.
DrunkASAskunk

equipment: what i the diff

Postby googe » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:52 pm

You must be going to build some.serious shit with that?. Few dudes at work have there own setups at home, will ask.what prices there paying and who's best. From.memory I think it might have been $90 quarterly for small bottle hire?. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. And yes Mac is right, be ready to get bored a new hole.
googe

Postby blond.chap » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:25 pm

Cheers guys, Googe it would be great if you could check with your work mates.

I'm looking into doing a bit more brazing and possibly some oxy welding. I don't have anything specific in mind for it just yet, mostly just teaching myself a new skill, and I'm pretty sure it will come in handy for future builds. I'm also totally sick of trying to braze with the little MAPP torch.
blond.chap

Postby kiwikeg » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:03 pm

You can get disposable mapp gas size bottles of oxy, arogon, etc not cheap but if you ain't doing to much.its cheaper than a rental bottle http://www.ezitools.co.nz/index.php?rou ... uct_id=228
And you need a "mini reg" to adapt it too
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby blond.chap » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:25 pm

Thanks Kiwi, I might look at those if I can't get a decent rental price.

As an update, so far I've found the following suppliers:
- BOC (apparently overpriced)
- Air Liquide
- Supagas
- Gasweld (seems to be NSW only, but apparently will sell you a cylinder outright for a decent price).
blond.chap

Postby Sam. » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:37 pm

blond.chap wrote:Thanks Kiwi, I might look at those if I can't get a decent rental price.

As an update, so far I've found the following suppliers:
- BOC (apparently overpriced)
- Air Liquide
- Supagas
- Gasweld (seems to be NSW only, but apparently will sell you a cylinder outright for a decent price).

I reckon the gasweld on Research road Pooraka just changed their name to Adelaide tools I think :think:

Not sure if they do bottles.

I have heard that you might as well get a bigger bottle as well, because they are only a bit more for rental and not that much more to fill. not sure on the truth in that though. A quick call should have it sorted :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby emptyglass » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:18 pm

Over here we also have Linde gas. Air liquide and Linie both get their bottles charged by BOC.
A bit like all the other telco's use telstra.
So if you look at prices, Lindie can be a bit cheaper, but if you compare the contents of the bottle (the cubic meter content) is only about 2/3 the BOC equivilent.

I know boc over here will let you hire them on "daily" rate, they might also do monthly. But you still have to pay for the fill (gas inside) and don't get a refund on any returned gas.

Like Mac said. Take some lube with you, it wont hurt quite so much.
emptyglass

Postby bt1 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:18 pm

Serious renting is a PITA

I absolutely promise your local mechanic who doesn't use his oxy on Sundays and drinks.. well bourbon ...is up for a trade and a few$ for what amounts to <1 hours max use on a Sunday...
a few readies (suggest $20 and a 2lt flagon)...your done...next use will be just the flagon it goes..."geez it's a good drop...if you need to use the oxy again ..hell let me know bloke"

don't believe me...try it...

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Cane Toad » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:58 am

I'm pretty sure that there is a new player on the scene,it could be Supagas,not quite sure. Apparently you buy the bottle,like days of old,and then you pay to have it filled. My brother in law says that they have taken off in a big way in NSW and SE QLD,and about fuckin time too :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I'll see if I can get onto the BIL and find out the correct name.
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby komodo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:58 am

Supagas have been around since 1968. In 1997 they moved into NSW and QLD. More recently into SA and now into northern WA where they have setup a processing plant (not sure if they are around perth yet).
As for buying bottles. I know you can buy CO2 bottles out right from supagas but not sure about Oxy. Worth asking.
The small "canisters" of oxy cost a fortune.

Shop around for your gas. I get my bottle pods/packs from one mob, individuals from another and my site bottles from another (who are the parent company to the company that supplys my pods) Admittedly I go through a shit load of gas though compared to the average handy man. Also try smaller welding suppliers - you'd be supprised what some of them can do compared to the big chains.
komodo

equipment: Looking to buy a pot still for smoked malt whisky

Postby blond.chap » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:33 pm

Ok, all sussed I'm going with Supagas as they were the best quote, they also deliver free and allow monthly rental (rather than paying 12 months up front. Thanks for the advise guys.
blond.chap

Postby wynnum1 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:56 am

Gas Generators can be on site so there is less need to have cylinders delivered for large users of gas and smaller market for renting bottles .

Look up carbide Acetylene generator originally it did not come in bottles

Acetylene cylinder disposal. Some older acetylene cylinders contain asbestos. Distributors must familiarize themselves with local laws
wynnum1

Return to Distillers Warehouse