Element controller

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Re: Element controller

Postby rumby » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:26 pm

Spud, boo-whoo, life is tough (LOL).

There isnt enough time in the day. My days are numbered as the wife is nearly 15weeks with the twins, but i cant complian.
rumby

equipment: CC reflux still

Postby reknaw » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:49 pm

You may laugh now but week one of you having twins at home is the time I am going to laugh :lol: Your world is going to change as you know it........ That said they are awsome little animals - better than puppies or kittens.
reknaw

Postby maheel » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:40 pm

Spud1700 wrote: That said they are awsome little animals - better than puppies or kittens.

my little one wants a puppy and a kitten

i get to clean up the POO she tells me... lol
maheel

Postby rumby » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:02 am

If she is really keen & needs any practice, there is heaps in my backyard.
rumby

equipment: CC reflux still

Postby maheel » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:21 am

rumby wrote:If she is really keen & needs any practice, there is heaps in my backyard.

lol she would just yell "DAD" at the top of her voice "there is dog POO in the yard".... lol :D
maheel

Postby hoppy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:50 pm

Hey spud just reading this old thread did you get that controller working did you need a fan as well as a heat sink plate? I was thinking of sending for one to use with a 2200 watt boiler :think:

Cheers Hoppy :mrgreen:
hoppy

Location: UP THE DONGER A FEW HUNDRED KLICS WEST FROM THE BIG SMOKE
equipment: 50mm copper pure distilling reflux 50mm pot still

25 ltr electric boiler with voltage controller
location SA

Postby MacStill » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:57 pm

Hoppy,

Spud is no longer active on this forum ;)

If I were you I would use a PSR-25 for your controller, they are a proven & pretty easy to build unit that some members here can help you with 8-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby hoppy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:40 pm

Okiedokie McStill Have looked at your build in the ammo box might have to go that way ,dont look too difficult :think: at worse i can only have sparks fly out my arse :o :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Hoppy
hoppy

location SA

Postby MacStill » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:50 pm

hoppy wrote:Okiedokie McStill Have looked at your build in the ammo box might have to go that way ,dont look too difficult :think: at worse i can only have sparks fly out my arse :o :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Hoppy

we have a few guys here that can guide you through it, we'll look after you..... if in doubt give us here a yell 8-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby hoppy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:01 pm

McStill wrote:
hoppy wrote:Okiedokie McStill Have looked at your build in the ammo box might have to go that way ,dont look too difficult :think: at worse i can only have sparks fly out my arse :o :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Hoppy

we have a few guys here that can guide you through it, we'll look after you..... if in doubt give us here a yell 8-)[/quote

Thanks for the quick reply McStill :text-thankyoublue: will do if i get stuck :pray:

hoppy

location SA

Postby maheel » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:05 pm

i know there are a few "cheaper" options than the PSR-25 and i even built one of the triac based one's for about $15 but it was a death trap waiting to happen and took me about 5 hrs of driving around to get the right parts.

in the end i bought the psr and pot from RS-online and it works, it is easy enough to build and seems rock solid

the $100 (max) is worth the investment i reckon
maheel

Postby MacStill » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:13 pm

MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby hoppy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:13 pm

maheel wrote: maheel » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:05 pm
i know there are a few "cheaper" options than the PSR-25 and i even built one of the triac based one's for about $15 but it was a death trap waiting to happen and took me about 5 hrs of driving around to get the right parts.

in the end i bought the psr and pot from RS-online and it works, it is easy enough to build and seems rock solid

the $100 (max) is worth the investment i reckon

Thanks for the info maheel :text-thankyoublue:

hoppy

location SA

Postby Moonshine_Nova » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:10 am

Hi Guy's,

I've just been reading this thread as I am in the market for such a controller for my heating element. I have a couple of questions,

1) is there a DIY section on how to build these things and is the F175-25A filter needed to be used with the PSR-25.

Cheers
Moonshine_Nova

equipment: reflux with 50L boiler, looking to expand collection

Postby maheel » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:19 am

see here PSR does seem to be the best and "easiest" IMO

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=516

as for DIY make sure yo know enough about what your doing or get a sparky to sort it out.....
it's not complicated but you need to be safe with 240V

i dont have the filter, not 100% sure it's needed on what we are doing, i tried to get it to interfere with radio but could not get it to effect my old radios
who knows if energex etc can 'hear" it ?

i now have a dedicated 15amp line for my shed and use that but is does go back to the fuse box ?
maheel

Postby Moonshine_Nova » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:20 pm

Cheers Maheel,

Thanks for the direction
Moonshine_Nova

equipment: reflux with 50L boiler, looking to expand collection

Postby steveoconner » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:33 pm

I would be interested in designing a element control system with temperature monitoring to keep exact temperature if anybody wants to get in touch maybe we could share the costs as I intend to use the design in future projects for other stills. Cheers
steveoconner

equipment: No still yet as still putting together a parts list so I can put it together. Ideally I will build a reflux still with all the temperature and control electronics as that's my day job so just need to brush up on my soldering and brazing skills and get stuck in !

Postby steveoconner » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:38 pm

Just a quick mail to point people in the best direction by using zero crossing controls for elements this really stops all the noise and crap that filters try and remove. Controllers can be designed to give very close temperature control by using pid type controls too. I can't believe nobody has built a universal element and temp control unit yet that is cheap and reliable. always fuse you control boxes on the light side if you can too.
steveoconner

equipment: No still yet as still putting together a parts list so I can put it together. Ideally I will build a reflux still with all the temperature and control electronics as that's my day job so just need to brush up on my soldering and brazing skills and get stuck in !

Postby Panda » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:42 pm

steveoconner wrote:I would be interested in designing a element control system with temperature monitoring to keep exact temperature if anybody wants to get in touch maybe we could share the costs as I intend to use the design in future projects for other stills. Cheers

How much would this cost me?
Last edited by Panda on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Panda

equipment: T500 & CM with pot head.

Postby Panda » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:49 pm

steveoconner wrote:Just a quick mail to point people in the best direction by using zero crossing controls for elements this really stops all the noise and crap that filters try and remove. Controllers can be designed to give very close temperature control by using pid type controls too. I can't believe nobody has built a universal element and temp control unit yet that is cheap and reliable. always fuse you control boxes on the light side if you can too.

I'm not clued up on this stuff but this is my understanding

A simple oven thermostat would suit your described needs?
A zero cross relay will simply switch the circuit on and off, not trim voltage like a leading or trailing edge dimmer/voltage controller?
What do you mean by light side?
Panda

equipment: T500 & CM with pot head.

PreviousNext

Return to Distillers Warehouse