Element controller

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Re: Element controller

Postby stubbydrainer » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:21 am

Panda wrote:
steveoconner wrote:Just a quick mail to point people in the best direction by using zero crossing controls for elements this really stops all the noise and crap that filters try and remove. Controllers can be designed to give very close temperature control by using pid type controls too. I can't believe nobody has built a universal element and temp control unit yet that is cheap and reliable. always fuse you control boxes on the light side if you can too.

What do you mean by light side?

I think what he means Panda is , put a light fuse in instead of a .22 cal bullet shell :laughing-rolling:
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby maheel » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:49 am

steveoconner wrote:I would be interested in designing a element control system with temperature monitoring to keep exact temperature if anybody wants to get in touch maybe we could share the costs as I intend to use the design in future projects for other stills. Cheers

steveconner i would suggest you give us more info on what type of controller your talking about and a $$$ cost value

a few here have PSR's from RS-online (IMO the best "quality" build item)
some have gone the PID way, works fine but "more" parts and components required (pids may actually have more usable functions and uses than PSR)
some have variable resistive type SSR's (seem very cheap, my concern of longevity of the part may be unfounded)

there are a few other ways as well some easy some more challenging

it just depends on what your planing and price will be the eventual decider for uptake of any product you might try "selling"
it would also need to pass safety standards if you sent it out "built" or you could have a legal issue if anyone was hurt (kit form may avoid this)

post up some more info of what your thinking of building
maheel

Postby Kimbo » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:15 pm

Hi Steve,
just touching on what Maheel said regarding selling them.
if you intend to produce an item and sell it on the forum, this would come under the "commercial sales" banner,
where certain rules apply.
that section may be worth a read ;-)

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=264
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Previous

Return to Distillers Warehouse