Big 250L plastic drums

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Big 250L plastic drums

Postby bjay » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:06 pm

I bought one of these the other day of ebay , just up in skye for 25 sovs ,
The lid is 2 piece
For doing a big big ferment no use playin around

B

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250lt-plastic-drum-water-tank-stock-feed-compost-bin-wine-barrel-etc-/301222726434?
bjay

equipment: Pot Still

Re: Big 250L plastic drums

Postby stretch69 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:35 pm

I grabbed two gherkin barrels from a place in Adelaide last week, they look the same as your one, apparently mine are 200ltr though. I swear they'd be the same.
They stink like shit, I tried keg cleaner first but they still stank. BT suggested using napisan, I emptied one today and I think the smell might actually be gone now :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Also bt suggests getting an aqua one aquarium heater too, so I grabbed one of those too, I'm hoping this week to get a 80-90ltr batch down :handgestures-thumbupleft:
stretch69

equipment: 4" 4 plate FSD Bubbler!
50l Boiler

Postby bjay » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:51 pm

Yeah stinks a bit, but napisan will sort that out , Mine also had Gherkins in it , I have the Aquarium one heater already 150w sucker
I am planning on fitting a 11/2 ball valve that i found , Just thinkin about a drain filter to keep the grains on the inside ,, I reckon it will be just the ticket for the big wash fellas

B
bjay

equipment: Pot Still

Postby bt1 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:11 am

Two things to consider,

HBS's specifically Beer Belly in Adelaide sell the active ingredient in Napisan = Sodium Percarbonate. It's about $7 for 500gm, will last years. I use it for Stainless cleaning it's bloody great for cleaning the postmix beer kegs each week.

For the big washes in winter these days I use a Premium Lager yeast from Brewcellar. Usually always do the first generation use in a small ferment as it takes a good 2 weeks and you need the increased volume to re pitch in larger washes.

Second and older yeast re use cos it's well trained to wash will ferment in about 2 -3 weeks for 200lts. Bonus is no heating. happily running in ambient in spare room @ 9c to 15c prefers 12c.

Check your room temp... might save ya $10 -$15 on power.

Yeast cost $5 per winter for about 6 large washes.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby vqstatesman » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:38 pm

stretch69 wrote:I grabbed two gherkin barrels from a place in Adelaide last week, they look the same as your one, apparently mine are 200ltr though. I swear they'd be the same.
They stink like shit, I tried keg cleaner first but they still stank. BT suggested using napisan, I emptied one today and I think the smell might actually be gone now :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Also bt suggests getting an aqua one aquarium heater too, so I grabbed one of those too, I'm hoping this week to get a 80-90ltr batch down :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hey mate, I'm assuming you picked them up from Paramount Browns? How are they turning out for you? Any odd flavour carry over? I purchased one a while back and thought it might have introduced a liquorice or aniseed hint of flavour. Any thought?
vqstatesman

equipment: 4" Bubbler
150L Pressurised Bain Marie with built in agitator
50L Milk Can Boiler for small runs (feints)
T500 boiler repurposed as oversized decanter
Grainfather in the corner collecting dust

Postby Triangle » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:57 pm

FWIW The last lot of drums I bought from Paramounts have a grey plastic coating inside, different from the plain black ones. Looks like a food grade coating. I noticed they are around 230-240lt rather than 200lt, I haven't actually measured precisely though.

The steel drums there are ex orange juice and have a food grade PVC inner coating. They smell much better!
Triangle

equipment: To be anounced!

Return to Distillers Warehouse