Molasses buying in bulk

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Molasses buying in bulk

Postby Willyboy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:26 pm

Hello I live SOR in perth and am looking for a ace that sells molasses in bulk, ad I can only find it in 500g jars in the supermarket.
Willyboy

equipment: Pot still and reflux still

Re: Molasses buying in bulk

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:30 pm

Try stock feed places mate.

Why don't you pop into the welcome centre and tell us a bit about yourself ;-)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Dusty_ben » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:13 pm

I have brought mine from either bio johns in Belmont 25kg for $30 and northam chaff. Unsure where they are as the missus gets it delivered with the horse feed. Recommend northam chaff thou as they fill your container. Was 30$ for 20l drum. Weighed in at about 32kg.
Dusty_ben

equipment: 50l keg boiler with a mac built 2" pot still. Also a cheap stainless 2" reflux from eBay

Postby huggy_b » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:07 pm

Bio johns in Belmont as well $30 for a 25kg tub from memory
huggy_b

equipment: 4" glasser (5 plates)

Postby Ganooblies » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:33 pm

Hey mate
Depending on where SOR you live I was at anketell stock feed supplies on Thomas rd just off kwinana freeway and they have 2L bottles for $3.95 preservative free not sure if that's a good price but I bought a few anyway...
Hope that helps
Ganooblies

equipment: Turbo 500 reflux still

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:56 pm

Ganooblies wrote:Hey mate
Depending on where SOR you live I was at anketell stock feed supplies on Thomas rd just off kwinana freeway and they have 2L bottles for $3.95 preservative free not sure if that's a good price but I bought a few anyway...
Hope that helps

Damn Ganooblies..Thats really expensive ...however ..2 liters is not really bulk buying . :hand:

This is Eastern aussie prices but last year I would pay $1 per liter up to 20 liters then 50c /per liter....a 200liter or more is 30c/l

And this is good stuff ....no shit in it ..high potential output...from Norco Rural stores ( now they have stopped filling used transmission oil 44s up) :angry-banghead:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby MacStill » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:10 pm

yeah it's expensive here in southern WA, the same place sells you 20L for $35 but it's the best I've found in WA.

I'm just waiting for cupcake to send me a couple of 44's 1 molasses & 1 cane juice.... cant wait :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Andy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:21 pm

yeah that stock feed supply place is the best place.
you can get Bundaberg molasses in myaree for $35 for 14kg (about 10L). it was brilliant stuff, but just super pricey. they also apparently sell 280kg x_x Bundaberg molasses for about $315, which ends up being about 190L, ~ $1.65/L so just a bit cheaper than the stock feed place. depending on how bulk you want to go :P
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby MacStill » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:25 pm

Andy wrote:yeah that stock feed supply place is the best place.
you can get Bundaberg molasses in myaree for $35 for 14kg (about 10L). it was brilliant stuff, but just super pricey. they also apparently sell 280kg x_x Bundaberg molasses for about $315, which ends up being about 190L, ~ $1.65/L so just a bit cheaper than the stock feed place. depending on how bulk you want to go :P

I'll go 5th's on 1000 litres if anyones interested, but this time it's cash up front because I dont really want 800L like I ended up with last time we did a group buy :angry-banghead:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Ganooblies » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:13 am

Yummyrum wrote:
Ganooblies wrote:Hey mate
Hope that helps

Damn Ganooblies..Thats really expensive ...however ..2 liters is not really bulk buying . :hand:

This is Eastern aussie prices but last year I would pay $1 per liter up to 20 liters then 50c /per liter....a 200liter or more is 30c/l

And this is good stuff ....no shit in it ..high potential output...from Norco Rural stores ( now they have stopped filling used transmission oil 44s up) :angry-banghead:

Yeah unfortunately ANYTHING in WA is expensive compared to Eastern states prices... Not sure I'm into rum enough to stock 200l though kind of weening myself on it got my first batch of macrum on the go at the moment and can't wait to have a play of that :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Ganooblies

equipment: Turbo 500 reflux still

Postby northernbrewer » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:14 am

What's it work out to be per litre Mac?
northernbrewer

equipment: 5 L Super Reflux Still - Copper Packing, separate condenser and reflux cooling circuits
Braumeister Clone (for the beer guys) and 2 tap fridge

Postby MacStill » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:21 am

about a buck ten last time for a litre, the freight was more exy than the molasses but was well worth it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

but! I wont be filling 10L buckets like last time, take a 44 or get nuthin :romance-kisscheek:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:14 am

Yeah unfortunately ANYTHING in WA is expensive compared to Eastern states prices..

Cheap ain't cheap if it doesn't work. The tub before last was hard to ferment and the last one was basically unfermentable full stop, reckon I'd pay 5 bucks more for something I don't have to chuck out after wasting plenty of time and money rooting about with it. The molasses here has gone from sub par to utter shit, Grass ain't always greener
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:21 am

if you do taste test prior to purchase you'll find a burnt taste or a nice sweet sugary sweet taste, it's not that hard to work out what to buy ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Whiskyaugogo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:47 am

Is there a brand name from Norco Yummy?
Last edited by Sam. on Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
Whiskyaugogo
Site Donor

equipment: To be updated

Postby sp0rk » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:20 am

Whiskyaugogo wrote:

It's most likely Sunshine Sugar (from either Harwood or Broadwater)
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:25 am

Whiskyaugogo wrote:

No...they just have a truck comes down from the Harwood refinery and fills up all their IBCs.....infact ..I went past yesterday and they have them all lined up waiting so guessing won't be long :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Then you just bring your containers and they fill em up
Yummyrum

Postby sp0rk » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:46 am

Do you just use the 20L handipails from bunnings, yummy?
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby bayshine » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:11 am

MacStill wrote:
Andy wrote:yeah that stock feed supply place is the best place.

I'll go 5th's on 1000 litres if anyones interested, but this time it's cash up front because I dont really want 800L like I ended up with last time we did a group buy :angry-banghead:

I'd be keen on 200l, but I'd have to get it in smaller containers as I'm not sure I could handle that much weight without a fork lift :teasing-tease:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:12 am

sp0rk wrote:Do you just use the 20L handipails from bunnings, yummy?

:D :D :D
Yummyrum

Next

Return to Distillers Warehouse