Molasses buying in bulk

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Re: Molasses buying in bulk

Postby Brendan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:59 am

Andy wrote:you can get Bundaberg molasses in myaree for $35 for 14kg (about 10L). it was brilliant stuff, but just super pricey.

Damn that's rough. I got 7 of these in Sydney the other week, they were $20.10ea from Southern Cross Supplies in Marrickville :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby MacStill » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:02 am

Brendan wrote:
Andy wrote:you can get Bundaberg molasses in myaree for $35 for 14kg (about 10L). it was brilliant stuff, but just super pricey.

Damn that's rough. I got 7 of these in Sydney the other week, they were $20.10ea from Southern Cross Supplies in Marrickville :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeah we get bent over here in the west, best I can find is $33.80 for a 20L bucket full.... was paying 60c a litre in Gympie QLD :angry-banghead:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby choppy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:19 pm

Brendan, is there anywhere in Newcastle/Hunter that sell decent molasses?
choppy

equipment: PD reflux still
home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Postby sp0rk » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:33 pm

choppy wrote:Brendan, is there anywhere in Newcastle/Hunter that sell decent molasses?

I'd try West Wallsend Produce or G&V Produce & Saddlery at Gateshead
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby choppy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:42 pm

Thanks Ganooblies,

I've tried the molasses from G&V, it's a bit pricey. It made rum okay, but I'd like to try something else to compare.

Old mate at G & V didn't know much about the product, said they get it from a place at Paterson, he gets a 44 gallon drum at a time and he then pours it out into used milk bottles. Charges $4 for 2 litres.

a. I don't know what was in the 44 before he fills it with molasses
b. not sure how well they clean the milk bottles
c. not sure about Paterson bring a prime molasses producing area

Having said all this, I got some molasses this week from G & V as tomorrow night is rum run night and I will need to put down Gen 3 once I empty the fermenter.

Thanks again mate.
choppy

home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Postby Brendan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:54 pm

Choppy, I've only been able to find blackstrap/feed stuff.

Have enquired with a few food suppliers, but they won't sell to the public.

I just pick em up when I'm in Sydney now. I got a heap the other week which will do me for the year I reckon :-D

Can't speak for the rum produced from the fancy stuff yet, as I'm only just starting down the rum path.
Brendan

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:06 pm

Brendan wrote:
Can't speak for the rum produced from the fancy stuff yet, as I'm only just starting down the rum path.

After spending a fortune on fancy jars of food grade Molasses from a supermarket I can say that there is No difference ...Mate summed it up on the phone the other day... Just same as feed stock only complies with Health and safety as regards to hygiene and safe food handling procedures
Last edited by Yummyrum on Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby MacStill » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:12 pm

the first thing I do when buying any molasses is rip the lid off and taste it, if it's got a burnt taste I wont buy it, if it's sweet like licorice I'll buy it.

good molasses will be also shine in the sunlight as it drips from your finger, you'll know what I mean when you see it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby choppy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:44 am

Thanks Mac, Brendan and Yummyrum,

I've got a dozen or so empty 15 litre plastic jerry cans which I "store" beside the shed after emptying them of the beer fresh wort that I buy and ferment.

I might sterilise some of these and fill a few up with molasses when I find a good supply. I'm going up the coast fishing in a few weeks, I'm sure to go past a town with a Norca Rural supplies in it.

Anyone wanting 15 litres jerry cans are welcome to some, I'll clean them up next week and put an ad in the classified.

Thanks again for your great advice.

Choppy
choppy

home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:55 am

bayshine wrote:I'd be keen on 200l, but I'd have to get it in smaller containers as I'm not sure I could handle that much weight without a fork lift :teasing-tease:

Yeah count me in for 200L, and I'm the same as Baysine, I couldn't get a 44 fulla molasses off the trailer

:sci-fi-grayalien:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby MacStill » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:01 am

Imagine how I felt getting left with 800L of the shit & having to move it into 44's to move house with just me n the mrs to deal with it all :angry-banghead:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Petulance » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:16 pm

So Mac ... How's the hernia?
Petulance

equipment: 4 plate 4 inch modular copper bubbler with 300 mm packed or unpacked extension on 50 litre SS keg. All my own work. It ain't pretty, but it's all mine!

Postby Redux » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:50 pm

i went into the local feed store and asked about molasses.... they sell 200lt and 1k lt drums... a 200 lt is 175$ .... i asked if i could have a 10 lt sample to see if it worked and they asked what i wanted it for. i told em "im going to try to make rum" they were happy to hook me up with a sample... ill go back next week and try some... taste and look for shine.

anyone near bathurst want to go shares in a drum if its good? also... how long does it keep for?
:happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:
Redux

equipment: 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on a 50lt gasser keg ...
set up in a wee shed....

Postby spit'n'shine » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:57 pm

Redux wrote:i went into the local feed store and asked about molasses.... they sell 200lt and 1k lt drums... a 200 lt is 175$ .... i asked if i could have a 10 lt sample to see if it worked and they asked what i wanted it for. i told em "im going to try to make rum" they were happy to hook me up with a sample... ill go back next week and try some... taste and look for shine.

anyone near bathurst want to go shares in a drum if its good? also... how long does it keep for?
:happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:

Hey Redux, where was this from if you don't mind me asking? I'd be keen for sharesies if we could work out the logistics of it. :think: It should keep for a year or so I'd expect.
spit'n'shine

equipment: 2" Boka , 2" Pot still , 4" 4 plate column blockhead "Angry Bob", 50l keg boiler (gas)

Postby choppy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:29 pm

Anyone who lives around the central coast of NSW, Coastal Traders at Ourimbah sell molasses, $19 for 10 litres in a new lidded bucket.

If you live in Newey I'd be happy to pick some up for you as I go down that way every week or so. PM to order.
choppy

home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Postby Brendan » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:51 pm

choppy wrote:Anyone who lives around the central coast of NSW, Coastal Traders at Ourimbah sell molasses, $19 for 10 litres in a new lidded bucket.

If you live in Newey I'd be happy to pick some up for you as I go down that way every week or so. PM to order.

Choppy that's expensive if it's blackstrap...about right if it's Bundaberg Refinery Molasses (fancy food grade).

I forgot to mention, a few of the guys around here including Linny have for theor molasses from the stock feed place in Raymond Terrace. Rural Feed Supply or something (beside Aldi). As far as I know, they were happy with that. I think Linny said they started selling it in 3L containers for the rum makers :-D
Brendan

Postby sp0rk » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:32 pm

I think there is also a Norco Rural mob a little north of Newcastle, they should have Molasses in stock most of the time
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby Brendan » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:32 pm

*"got their molasses..."
Brendan

Postby choppy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:39 pm

Thanks Brendan, on friday I'll be driving past the terrace on my way up to Wooli fishing, I might drop in and pick up a few gen's worth.
choppy

home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Postby Brendan » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:45 pm

choppy wrote:Thanks Brendan, on friday I'll be driving past the terrace on my way up to Wooli fishing, I might drop in and pick up a few gen's worth.

I should of mentioned that was for blackstrap, and was roughly $1 a litre or a bit less (I think $17 for 20L at a guess).

Also, you take your own container and they fill it out of an IIBC or drum or whatever. But Linny did mention about the 3L bottles there at one stage, not sure if that's still going.

Sorry for being vague, I've never actually bought it there myself, just going off second hand story time.
Brendan

PreviousNext

Return to Distillers Warehouse